Remove Advertisements

Having problems holding aggro

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Having problems holding aggro

Postby Skyder » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:53 am

I am really having problems holding aggro on things, it is to the point where I have to give everyone salvation instead of a stat buff. I have read over most of these topics. I guess the better way of going about this is going over my line of actions.

A typical 3 pull where I just tank it all

SoR
Pull with Avenger Shield
Holy Shield
Consecrate
JoR on Skull
SoR
Swing away till next Holy shield
Refresh consecrate
Tab target to one of the other two
JoR
Sor

and somewhere in there I loose aggro.
Yes I have righteous fury on

I guess maybe I am doing something wrong? Please help
Skyder

Postby Xanatos » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:58 am

1) Is everyone hitting the skull?
2) Or are they all doing aoe on the 3 mobs?
3) What's your spell dmg like?

If everyone's dps'ing the skull then consecration (with AS pull) should more than keep the remainder on you. Keep judging SOR on the skull and you should not lose aggro unless they start dps too early / string crits.

If it's an aoe fest, they might want to wait for consecration to get a few ticks before going all out.

This is puzzling though.... I've never lost aggro on an aoe pile of 3 when i use AS to pull and keep consecration up though. Are you using ret aura?
Xanatos

Postby ulushnar » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:59 am

Your Spell Damage is low-ish and that's gonna hurt if your mates are nuking hard.

Best thing to do in that situation is to put Salvation on everyone and then Judgement of the Crusader on the mob. You might also wanna replace the Resilience trinket with a Spelldamage one the now.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Skyder » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:47 am

No I use devo aura, does ret aura help with threat also?
Skyder

Postby Alixander » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:06 am

Skyder wrote:No I use devo aura, does ret aura help with threat also?
It's not a huge boost, but if you have Righteous Fury up (and if you're tanking you should never not have it up) each time you get hit the mob will get a small amount of holy damage which will amount to around 50-75 threat (depending on if you have Imp Ret Aura or not.)
Alixander

Postby Amaegor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:30 am

Your armory isn't showing your tanking gear, but someone mentioned your spell damage may be a bit low. As a really quick fix to that I would suggest using consumables if you aren't doing so already.

Blackened Basilisk (23 spell damage / 30 minutes)
Adept's Elixir (24 spell damage and crit / 60 minutes)
Superior Wizard Oil (42 spell damage / 30 minutes)

In the event of AOE tanking you could also use retribution aura and/or blessing of sanctuary
Amaegor

Postby Arcand » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 am

Consecration and Holy Shield should be enough to keep the other bad guys on you against mere healing threat...meaning you don't really need to tab off the skull until it's about to die.

Are you holding the bad guys outside melee range of your DPS? Someone in melee range will pull aggro if their threat hits 1.1 times yours, but if they're outside melee range they won't pull until they hit 1.3 times your threat.

And if your DPS are so far ahead of you on gear that they can rip targets off you...it's your responsibility to diligently pursue better gear, and it's their responsibility to wait a few extra seconds on the pull or chill out for a while after a double crit, so they aren't constantly causing crises. Are they doing that?
Arcand

Postby Jensaarai » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:13 pm

Well, I'm not sure if your armory is reflecting your tanking gear or not atm (you are low level though :)) buuuut

you're not using a spell damage sword that I can see. Go get a Spellfire Longsword from Slave Pens first boss. Problem solved. :)
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Re: Having problems holding aggro

Postby Karathos » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:09 am

Skyder wrote:I am really having problems holding aggro on things...

A typical 3 pull where I just tank it all

SoR
Pull with Avenger Shield
Holy Shield
Consecrate
JoR on Skull

I guess maybe I am doing something wrong? Please help

[Quote edited for brevity]

Okay, what you are missing in regards to Blessing of Salvation is that -30% threat for classes that are unable to drop agro on command (i.e. Hunters and Rogues) means they can hit 30% harder without drawing agro. If you have a rogue and a hunter that are diligent on Feint/Vanish/Feign Death you can give both of them Blessing of Might, but pretty much everyone else (with the exception of situational bosses) get BoS.

Earlier in the game, (i.e. pre 70) and for non-heroics, Blessing of Sanctuary (which returns holy damage for each block, and therefore more threat) for you is situationally better than Blessing of Kings (basically on trash or non-boss kills). You also should consider (if you are specced for it) Sanctity Aura +10% holy damage ... which equates into +threat, and if you don't have that Retribution Aura, which returns Holy damage with each attack against you (again more threat).

Second, I noticed that your initial pull doesn't use Judged Judgement of the Crusader followed by SoR. That will add additional agro generation for you at least on your 'primary' mob due to the +spell damage component of judged JotC. When you burn that one down then JotC the others as you get to them.

JotC will add a nice additional component for +spell damage in there and help on your threat (pretty much for any fight over 10 seconds). It doesn't help as much with 'snap' agro, but if they are giving you a couple of moments, you can pull it in quick.

You can also use the consumables for +spell damage, and +spell damage trinkets, and get your spell damage weapon enchanted with +spell damage (if possible).

I found that getting 'proper' tanking gear pre-70 was twitchy at best, so I basically used Green 'Of the Sorcerer' plate gear that I could get out of the AH, and then replaced stuff as I came across it (with more tanking related gear). (i.e. I went pure all out threat) This allowed my group to basically unleash the whirlwind on stuff and burn it down very quickly.
Karathos

Return to Basic Training & Talents