Remove Advertisements

[10] Heroic Maloriak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Heroic Maloriak

Postby Ulrik » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 am

Main differences:
-Addition of Black vial phase.
-Enrage is just over 12 minutes. Lots of addons are giving either 10 or 14 min as the time.
-Frost tombs do damage (~50-60k) upon shattering as well as application so top off before breaking out.

The addition of the black vial phase isn't really too bad. 15 or 20 sec in Nef will show up and spike the punch making Maloriak puke out five slime adds with 1.8 million HP each. The slime adds will constantly spew out black puddles, which eventually dissipate, under raid members so kite as necessary. Maloriak will stop attempting to summon Abberations (don't recall Arcane storms during black) but will channel a mortal strike breath focused on the MT. You have about 90 seconds to AOE like mad before Maloriak then continues the fight in the normal R/B G manner with another black phase after those. Repeat and push before 3rd black phase because you won't make enrage even if you kill that 3rd wave.

The enrage timer forces you to do 9/9 abberations*. We found that all 9 at once was just too much even with CDs. What we did was each Red/Blue cycle was to let 3 out ASAP, interrupt the second summon attempt, kill one, and then let the next 2 summons go out. This left us with a still very pointy but livable 8 adds leading up to and during green phase. For us it wasn't a huge dps problem to just get rid of that one, even stacked with the other two providing it with 20% reduction. We pushed P2 right at the end of our second green phase so our overall dps was fine.

Abberation cast attempt times:
Green/Pre-Black (fight start) 1
Black Phase 0
Red 2
Blue 2

Tips:
-Abberation aura buffs the oozes too. Only let adds out during Red/Blue.
-Have MT turn boss 90 and use Guardian Spirit or AD to negate one of the red phase flame breaths that you normally divide across the stacked up raid.
^If you choose to do this make sure the 90 degree turn/arc is never pointing Maloriak in the direction of the Consuming Flames victim. Pick directions for this at the start.

*This may seem obvious but the damage output from 9 in heroic looked too high to tank at all. Adding to that was non existent paladin kiting options (they have no creature type so no glyph of HW -anyone else assume they were dragons?). Also the first heroic 10 kill video we found from an EU guild posted last week had an enrage of over 14 min and used a 6/6/6 order. We tried that for a while until we kept running into 12:15 enrage.
Ulrik

Re: [10] Heroic Maloriak

Postby exiledknight » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Whats the timer of the MS debuff once it goes up?

Btw grats on the kill, and solid guide, I know we are 25 but I would assume the timer would be shared.
exiledknight

Postby Boyfriend » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:57 pm

It's possible to kite the adds as a paladin, I've done it on our 25 man kills though with 2 hunter trap's so it's probably not applicable to 10 man.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

exiledknight wrote:Whats the timer of the MS debuff once it goes up?

Btw grats on the kill, and solid guide, I know we are 25 but I would assume the timer would be shared.

The debuff lasts for the duration of the cast. While it is casting, the tank is taking damage and is unhealable. As soon as it is done casting, you have 3-5 seconds to heal the tank to full before the next cast. It's a non-issue, really.

Heroic Maloriak is, more than anything else, an interrupt fight. If you fail to interrupt Arcane Storm before the first tick, bam, 50k raid damage. Couple that with a flash freeze (which hits for 80k+) and you have a dead player. Couple it with the fire breath and you have a wiped raid. Basically, every failure to interrupt before the first tick is a high chance to wipe the raid in any red or blue phase, or while the green phase debuff is still on you.

So, in other words, use Curse of Tongues and don't fail at interrupts. This also applies to release aberrations. If you let one of those go off during the green phase, you better start DPSing them down before the shadow phase and hope for the best.

Also, Flash Freeze can hit the add tank. If he has 6+ adds on him, he's going to have a high chance of dying. Flash freeze is cast 15 seconds after the phase starts and 15 seconds after that. The adds are CCable, so feel free to time your CCs to protect your tank (just don't chain the flash freeze).

Finally, use pets and cooldowns in conjunction with fire breaths. Snake trap is pretty huge about saving your raid, as are mirror images. I'm under the impression that PW: Barrier and Divine Guardian might not actually reduce the breath damage, but I haven't checked to make sure.
Belloc

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Does curse of tongues seriously work? I've had someone cast it and the cast look exactly the same to me. I mean usually when I'm tanking I play pretty close attention to cast bars, and they seemed to be unaffected by it.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 pm

It absolutely works. The difference in cast time is quite obvious when you've been keeping tongues up the whole fight and then you forget to refresh it.

A cast speed debuff is basically a requirement on this fight.
Last edited by Belloc on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Postby Treck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Release abberation is affected by it, Storm isnt.
Treck

Postby Brutalus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 am

Ring of frost works great as well for when the third set of three spawn and you've got 6 of them beating on you already.
Brutalus

Postby Kihra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:20 pm

A couple of other tips:

Glyph of Salvation is great on this fight for the aberration burn. Because the aberration tank can't really build much threat (between the reduced damage, the kiting, the freezing in Rings, etc.), it's nice to just pick the dangerous pullers and hit them with a glyphed Hand of Salvation.

In the second phase, you can actually cast Hand of Protection on yourself to clear the stacking Rend debuff. HoP won't remove Fixate, so you don't even have to cancel it. The adds will happily beat on you for 10 seconds while you have full immunity.
Kihra

Postby Técaro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Has anyone had issues with getting 3 firebreaths instead of 2 during a red phase? Didn't have this problem before tonight and even tonight it was inconsistent.
Técaro

Postby Belloc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Técaro wrote:Has anyone had issues with getting 3 firebreaths instead of 2 during a red phase? Didn't have this problem before tonight and even tonight it was inconsistent.

It happens. Just watch the timer on the cast. If the timer is going to be up before the next phase, try to have something prepared (snake trap, raid cooldown, mirror images, pets, etc).
Belloc

Postby Técaro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Well, we were actually getting the first breath before the timer went off which tended to screw over our CD usage.
Técaro

Postby Hawthe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Técaro wrote:Well, we were actually getting the first breath before the timer went off which tended to screw over our CD usage.

This happened to us as well. We have just started working on H Maloriak but having 3 breaths definitely hurts. I was using Divine Guardian (ended up just hitting it after the first waves of abberrations, the breath was always within 6 seconds of it) and it definitely appeared to impact the damage taken. Will have to peruse logs to see if this was a reality or just a perception.
Hawthe

Postby Belloc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 pm

If, like us, you have to hold back on DPS for an entire vial (or more), you could consider calling your pets over into the cone path to function as an extra cooldown. And, like I said, mirror images and snakes.
Belloc

Postby Técaro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:03 am

Don't think we'll have to hold back for an entire vial, but we'll probably be close anyway. We were chaining PWB and Divine Sac but then we had nothing for the 3d, so yah. Definitely going to try putting in a snake trap and getting pets in. Hopefully that and a more ideal setup will let us get it down. Cheers for the help :>
Técaro

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)