General Paladin tanking question

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

General Paladin tanking question

Postby Shellbe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been reading through the guides and first of all thank you very much for your time in writing them out and helping newbies like myself.

right now I feel like a fish out of water I have always been dps whilst playing wow and now been asked by my guild and mates to turn to a tank which seems and looks fun but I have NFI.

I think I understand the rotation from reading abit but I was wondering if someone could help me understand a few things

1. Which seal to use ?
2. Does anyone have a prefered talent tree setup ?
3. Is there any addons I should be looking to use ?

finally

Is tanking as fun as I read or is it actually a struggle all the time ?

Thank you for your time again
Shellbe

Re: General Paladin tanking question

Postby Koatanga » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:37 pm

A lot of this is covered elsewhere here, so people are going to tell you to dig a bit deepet. There, I just did.

1: Truth, or Inisght if you have a big threat lead and decide you want more healing.
2: That's definitely covered here in detail, so I don't think another thread on it is useful.
3: I use Tidy Plates to keep track of which mobs are considering being unfaithful to me. I mousebind a mouseover macro for Hand of Reckoning so I can easily single-taunt a mob. I run VuhDo for cleansing and Righteous Defense. I run DBM for event warnings. I run Omen for threat. Those are the ones supporting the core tanking requirements. Others can add information and/or convenience.

Tanking is fun unless you meet up with a group of bad DPS. The worst ones are the epic raiders who think they are so much better than everyone else that they can dictate how you run the instance.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby arktik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:06 pm

read everything here:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=4&t=29728&rb_v=viewtopic

Thats answers all (and then some) but your add on question which previous poster answered well.

Thank you
arktik
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:46 am

Shellbe wrote:Is tanking as fun as I read or is it actually a struggle all the time ?

Depending on your personality, you may love it. Tank quality is, in many instances, the #1 determinant of the group's success and you also have a lot of influence on the pace and the psychological tone.

The downside of being in the spotlight is that your mistakes are readily visible. You also get PuGgers who really want you to know that you aren't the boss of them; in a group like that you quickly start to feel like the run is a contest against your groupmates rather than against the bad guys.
Arcand

Return to Basic Training & Talents