Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Postby Mcduffie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 am

So, I was reading a particular thread about semi-quasi-meta hardcore guilds today. It got me to thinking about what ingredients are put into making a guild really great. Since we have such a plethora of great and differing experience on this forum, I thought it would be good to ask. Here are a few rules though:

-Follow your 5W How (Who, what, when, where, why, and how)
-Don't skimp on details. I don't want the story over 12 separate posts. Clear, concise and to the point.
-My big need right now is the "why." "Why does this work for you?" "What is the science/magic behind it?"

But let's not call those rules, more like guidelines. I'll try to keep a running track of "pro" tips. Just for easy, informative access.
Last edited by Mcduffie on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mcduffie

Re: Guild Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Postby Mcduffie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am

Tips Thus Far
-Promote a community of helpfulness
-Have a focused goal that directs the guild members, and shows your long-term intentions.
-Maintain an atmosphere that aligns with your goals. If your goals change, make sure the atmosphere follows. And vice versa.
-Remove players that damage the guild's ethos and atmosphere.
-Ceate a shared sense of involvement in guild events, allowing open discussion among guild members. Show that your players' ideas matter.
-Being all business (constantly raiding, constantly pvp'ing) can be stressful to your members. Create a way to release the tension: fun runs of old content, raiding opposing faction's capital city, etc.
-Be organized in raids. Have a proficient raid leader, share ideas, treat each other with respect, and know when it's just not your night to be raiding.
-Give your guild members a chance to prove themselves.
Last edited by Mcduffie on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Mcduffie

Re: Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Postby sherck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

Helpful.

One word. Everyone in the guild that is active is helpful to each other, provides what they have (within reason) even though it will "cost" them some personal gold if otherwise sold.

Discussion last night on feasts and how someone was doing some fishing to provide the mats but that someone else knew they hated to fish. His response was "yeah, I do but the guild needs it."

Same with herbing and flasks/cauldrons. Donated herbs helped us push over the number needed to get cauldrons. Money out of the individual pockets but yet it helps in the long run by not having to purchase/supply your own flasks.

Alts? Yes, you can get run to ensure you get that piece of gear. Need mats for leveling a new profession? Sure, in the G Bank.

For people willing to put the effort in, everyone is willing to help them out.

Helpful.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Clear goals and expectations. Make sure that you, as the guild leader, know what the "goal" of the guild is, what will be expected, and what will be tolerated. Put it in writing somewhere, and point new recruits to it. Strife inevitably comes when someone comes into the guild with expectations that don't match the guild's goals.

You can have an "awesome" casual guild, as long as you're clear about the plan. But in that case, make sure you make it clear to new members, and don't be offended if they decide that's not the type of environment they want.

You can obviously also have an "awesome" hard-core progression guild, which will have very different expectations. If you make it clear up-front that players need to come to raids prepared, perform at an appropriate level, and so forth, they have a lot more trouble complaining if/when they fail to meet them.

It's also worth noting that the "goal" can change over time, but that this can cause complications. My first guild started off as a haphazard collection of us who knew each other through Diablo II. We shifted gears to become a "casual raiding" guild in classic, and slowly got more hardcore as the game went on. Unfortunately, some of the weaker players couldn't keep up, and WotL (post-3.1) became a constant struggle to balance the social and raiding expectations. The weaker players complained when they were asked to sit out for bosses, the stronger players complained when those players weren't sat and caused wipes. The stress of the situation slowly hollowed the guild out from within, as stronger players decided it wasn't worth the trouble and left for greener pastures or quit the game entirely.

Eventually the stress led me to leave as well, in part because I realized that my goals had changed. Instead of forcing my goals on to the guild, which would have alienated a lot of long-term members who had been with us since Classic, I left. Unfortunately, I may also have been the linchpin holding a good portion of the "hardcore" players in place; a large number of them left over the next few months. Many told me privately that they felt the guild wouldn't see the same sort of success without me.

And presumably, they won't; not because I'm an awesome player or guild leader, but because the guild's goal has changed. The guild is getting back to its roots - a lively social atmosphere to hang out in, and some low-stress raiding a couple nights a week. It's the right environment for the bulk of the membership, and arguably a lot less stressful to organize and lead. While it's a shame that a lot of strong players (who also happened to be cool people, on the whole) left for a different environment, it also means that the constant tension within the guild is mostly gone. And I think that's probably a good thing for the guild's long-term health.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Njall » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

And to go with helpful, make sure you're keeping an eye on the general atmosphere. We have a lot of very helpful people in my guild but one very passive aggressive and snide person's comments have caused a few people to reconsider raiding. The GM has spoken when them but it does not seem to have much effect. I know one person left over it.

It is not enough not to be a dick but one must stop others from being a dick... as it were.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Njall wrote:And to go with helpful, make sure you're keeping an eye on the general atmosphere. We have a lot of very helpful people in my guild but one very passive aggressive and snide person's comments have caused a few people to reconsider raiding. The GM has spoken when them but it does not seem to have much effect. I know one person left over it.

It is not enough not to be a dick but one must stop others from being a dick... as it were.

Christ, sounds like this person in my guild that I literally just kicked yesterday. Right down to the "I speak to them and it's like they don't listen" part too.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:56 pm

We have two codified rules:

Rule 1: Don't be a jerk.
Rule 2: See rule #1.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Mcduffie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 pm

There are days that I feel like I'm THAT guy. Then I'll spend an hour whispering someone about what's going on in their life, and helping them through whatever problem. That's when I feel a little better about myself.
Mcduffie

Postby Njall » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Christ, sounds like this person in my guild that I literally just kicked yesterday. Right down to the "I speak to them and it's like they don't listen" part too.

Being told - sorry, insinuated - that I was lying about repairing my gear before a run really irked me. Apparently, this fellow, who is quite happy to tell everyone how to play their class, was not aware that a paladin's shield takes damage every time he blocks or uses his shield to attack with. This means that every time my armor gets damaged, my shield has been damaged too. Oddly, the fact that it was ONLY my shield that was broken meant nothing to him.

I suspect I shan't be raiding with him when I start leading the "B" team. He's too 'leet' for me! :lol:
Last edited by Njall on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Mcduffie wrote:There are days that I feel like I'm THAT guy. Then I'll spend an hour whispering someone about what's going on in their life, and helping them through whatever problem. That's when I feel a little better about myself.

I have known thatguy for a while now and think very highly of...oh, THAT guy - yeah, he is an ass.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Being a BM is like being a Social Worker and a Manager.
But without getting paid.
Or most of the time even noticed.
:twisted:

Having said that, I second the notion that you make sure that everyone knows what the purpose of the guild is for, and secondly that your guild members are committed to that purpose.

Some hard decisions and weeding out of non-desirables will be needed.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Mcduffie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:Some hard decisions and weeding out of non-desirables will be needed.

And those decisions are hard. Especially when you have friends and family in the guild. Kind of a "shit where you eat" scenario.
Mcduffie

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm

I've never been in a position of a raid leader or GM, but having GMs and RLs that allow the common folk to speak their mind goes a long way for me feeling like I'm part of a community instead of a cog/peon.

Granted, you can't start bitching and moaning during a pull that your strategy sucks. It doesn't mean you can QQ about every nerf you've received from Blizzard either.

It's more of the "Hey, we wiped a lot on XYZ boss and I've looked at the Logs and we took X% of damage from ABC ability. Maybe if we do <insert talent/consumable/spell>, this can relieve some pressure" or a tweak to your current strategy based on the videos that you watched or your own understanding of the encounter.

It doesn't mean that the RL or GM can't ask them to take it offline or talk about it another time but some amount of discourse is good for the morale of the troops. Also, if the idea that is brought up, rewarding that person with a simple "thanks" in your guild forums, a note on the kill shot, or something like that makes people take ownership of their toons/raids as well.

So mediabyte versions:

- allow for discussion between RL/GMs and members
- acknowledgement of useful/helpful/thoughtful guildees via a simple "thank you" from the officers/GMs/RLs give members a sense of empowerment that they can make a difference and then they in turn take a more vested role in what they are doing within the guild

Yeah, it's touchyfeely crap but were all humans sitting behind the computer and we like to be reminded of that every now and then.
thatguy

Postby cerwillis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:25 pm

As stated by others, the goals of your guild are very important. I started our casual guild with some friends just as a place to hang out and have fun, with raiding only for those with the interest in preparing and showing up for raids. As we grew, through word of mouth, we had many RL friends and friends of friends transfer or roll toons to join our fun but adult atmosphere. The majority of these folks are achievment farmers and crafters, altaholics, etc. If I had at any point tried to make raiders out of them, they would have just left the guild or quit the game. We have developed enough raiders naturally to field a 10 man group for 4 hours a week, so that keeps us happy.

Case in point: Many of us recently found our Friday nights free, as a 25 man alliance group folded when the lockouts were made to be shared. I had a few options for what to do with that time, but what has made it a success with our guild is just to have an open invite night where we run legacy raids depending on how many people show up. It allows us to get drunk and cut up in vent, and we all have an absolute ball. If we have </=10 we will run Wrath raids for achievs and titles, and if we have more we will go after BT Hyjal or SSC.

This sort of idea wouldn't work for a progression guild, but it does for us because I know my guildies and what they like. I would be happy to wipe all night in a new raid, but it's not always what my friends like. You can't please everyone, but you can build a culture that people know what they're gonna get.

Ok, I'll shut up now as I think I'm just repeating what others have written.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Mcduffie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm

That's fine. It's good to see an example of good practices in action. Thanks for your input.
Mcduffie

Next

Return to General