Stonecore: Slabhide normal

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Stonecore: Slabhide normal

Postby Vathral2 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:27 pm

How many of you prot paladins have soloed slabhide to farm for the mount? I've only done it twice before I got bored, but it takes me 10 minutes each time to kill him and burn through his health, about 20 minutes from zone in to finish to get to slabhide. I can very easily fall behind on slabhide with bad lava placement, and I wonder if there's any outside items any of you guys use to help get him down more easily or faster.

I have to use LOH on him every time, which sucks since I feel I'm missing something that can potentially make it easier/end the fight faster. I know mending would do me wonders, which I'll have to get, but what else do you guys think I can use that I haven't thought up of?

If anyone wants to figure out how to get to him solo, I can write up a quick guide if anyone wants me to though.
Vathral2

Re: Stonecore: Slabhide normal

Postby Hlyfacepunch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:06 pm

A guide would be awesome!
Hlyfacepunch

Postby Dweracror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:22 am

You probably very clever? or cunning?
Dweracror

Postby Morolann » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Vathral2 wrote:How many of you prot paladins have soloed slabhide to farm for the mount? I've only done it twice before I got bored, but it takes me 10 minutes each time to kill him and burn through his health, about 20 minutes from zone in to finish to get to slabhide. I can very easily fall behind on slabhide with bad lava placement, and I wonder if there's any outside items any of you guys use to help get him down more easily or faster.

I have to use LOH on him every time, which sucks since I feel I'm missing something that can potentially make it easier/end the fight faster. I know mending would do me wonders, which I'll have to get, but what else do you guys think I can use that I haven't thought up of?

If anyone wants to figure out how to get to him solo, I can write up a quick guide if anyone wants me to though.

For me the fight with Slabhide himself wasn't a problem, getting to him was.

The packs with the Earth Warden(the dudes who turn into a giant earthen golem) mean that I'm using LOH on every one of their pulls, even with focus firing on them to make sure they never get a transform off (or only 1 right as their dying). If I'm lucky I can take them out, then die then come back kill manastorm* and the other guys.

*I tried killing manastorm first, but the transformation of the golem just kept destroying me.

For Slabhide, I basically just kept walking him backwards. Divine Shield if need be and flash of light when he's in the air and hide behind a pillar. Holy Power is used on WoG and the occasional ShoTR. Divine Plea on cooldown for some free healing/ShoTR. took about 6 minutes to down him, after nearly an hour to get to him.

I would farm him again but I got sick of the pulls to get there in the first place, if I could get rid of those it'd be awesome.
Morolann

Postby Vort » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Pro tip, don't pull the first pack and go to the ones beyond the first one, kill those and THEN do the first pack with Manastorm in it. He will run all the way to the end and spawn the Worm, opening up the next area. This way you only need to fight him and his group once. Slabhide is a joke, just juggle between insight and truth, try to keep the stacks rolling since he's got a fair chunk of HP. You will almost always be using your Holy Power for WoG, hit a SotR if you're at full and get an EG proc though since the DPS is needed.

I've solo'd the entire of Stonecore and Vortex Pinacle on normal. None of the bosses pose any problems since they aren't particularly gimmicky.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby Vathral2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 am

I feel like I perfected this speed wise from start to finish, and I have going from start of the instance to slabhide down in under 10 minutes (with another player), so farming the mount's become quite realistic for my warlock main. I think Vort pretty much got it down in his post for how to do this with relative ease, but there are a couple things I've learned to make this absolutely trivial.

When I was doing this, one of the things I kept in mind to maximize my time in here (since it could get boring sometimes), was to see how I could do each run faster and faster. I reached the point where while I could never instance cap on my own, as I mentioned earlier, you realistically only have to do 3 pulls, and then slabhide. Yes, THREE pulls.

Here's how!

Pull #1: As Vort said, what you guys want to do is you want to zone in, and ignore the first pack. Essentially, the way Millhouse Manastorm works is that when you get him to 50% in the group he is currently in, he will run to the next group to hide in there. However, if he has no group to run to, he will skip that area and retreat to the next one. I am not counting the patrolling elemental groups as actual pulls since a holy wrath and consecrate can kill them more than fine. You go around the first pull as you zone in, ignoring Manahouse, and you proceed to the second pull. What I do is I just simply go in, kill the earthshaper first (since them transforming does a fair amount of damage and have the least health), then just kill every mob normally in the pull, keeping up WoG on myself to stay alive.

Pull #2: You simply go to the pull after this one, ignoring the one at the start of the instance still, and kill the pull before the worm boss.

Pull #3: After you finish the second pull, you run back to the start of the instance, and prepare to kill Manahouse ONLY. What you have to do here, is you have to position yourself to where you are as close to the instance entrance as possible. The reason for this is that whenever I would do this, handling the pull + Manahouse would sometimes become too much as there is usually too much to reliably interrupt. What you do here is you initiate the pull, and do whatever it takes to get Millhouse to 50% so he can retreat forward. As he retreats forward, and you know he's going to run, what I would do is I'd just simply get him to 50%, then run out of the instance. I would zone back in, the pull would reset, and Millhouse would be ALL the way where the worm boss is, channeling his black stuff on the floor.

Pull #4: This isn't actually much of a pull, but rather, the most important trick to making this mount a viable item to farm. After you spawn the worm to break the wall that leads to the next area, there are two things to note of importance here. One, in normal mode, you can actually SKIP the first boss if you hug the wall to the left, and creep your way through the side into the area with the patrolling rock borers and the big golem guys. As I tried farming this on my warlock (as I've done this exact guide with my warlock main, as affliction no less, as well), I realized that I couldn't solo giants, and that borers were nearly impossible for me to manage as affliction, while they were annoying as protection. So this is where it gets important!

As you are letting the first golem after the first boss patrol back towards the middle area where the borers roam, if you look at the area where you see the first two flayers on the RIGHT side wall of that middle part, not the two to the left after the first boss, but the following two flayers to the right, if you notice, you can actually SKIP the golem in normal mode, as it is only level 84, and this puts you in prime position to do what I'm about to suggest next!

When you are at the middle area hugging that wall after you've skipped that golem, you'll notice you have the 3 flayer pack and a golem in the way while on the way to slabhide. Here is the trick that makes this part an absolute joke!

Invisibility potions! That's right! With just 1 sungrass and 1 ghost mushroom, you can essentially COMPLETELY skip every single trash pull after the 3rd trash pack pull at the start of the instance, and with invisibility, run ALL the way to the flying spikes from the ceiling that leads up to slabhide, without pulling a SINGLE mob on the way to him.

As for the fight itself, as protection, all you simply need to do is exactly what Vort said (though I used Seal of Truth the entire time to speed up the fight, popping an LoH and cooldowns throughout to speed it up, as I was looking to aim for speed, not stability as I was learning this), and with the recent change to where Slabhide is lower on the ground, you can do your rotation normally instead of forcing yourself to be under him and jumping, only being able to crusader strike to generate Holy Power while your health catches up to the damage slabhide is putting out.

I managed to grab a VERY undergeared prot pally, we're talking all greens almost, a friend of mine, and me and him do this with my warlock in under 10 minutes with absolute ease. We haven't seen the mount yet for my main (140 mounts and counting), but this makes this ABSOLUTELY exciting. I hope my guide helps you guys out in farming the mount, and I wish you all the best of luck in your soloing efforts!
Vathral2

Postby Vathral2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am

I just noticed a post on another thread where the skipping pulls to only deal with Manastorm once was fixed, and he will aggro if you skip ahead to do the 2nd and 3rd pulls now.

My guide above still applies, and still works, the only difference now is that you have to do each pull one at a time from first to third, deal with manastorm three times, and be a little more geared to survive the damage output of each group, which you can manage with in normal still.

I hope this helps!
Vathral2

Postby yappo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Marginally OT.

First boss is skippable on hc as well. Hug wall, get 70 VP faster.
yappo

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons