Remove Advertisements

Black rock caverns (heroic) - Beauty

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Black rock caverns (heroic) - Beauty

Postby daemonym » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:04 am

I have a few questions about both tanking and as melee dps for this fight. I have yet to tank it, but from what I gather you have to CC the little dogs and kill them off one at a time before going after the big one. Am I right so far or just way off base on that one?

Also should the tank be constantly kiting to avoid the lava pools or only move as they come? It seems to me that it's nigh impossible to avoid taking a tick or two of fire damage (especially when you can only CC 1 add) because the lava just goes right on top of them.

As melee, should you even bother trying to do anything? I can't seem to be in range of the small ones to dps while avoiding 2x breath attacks and lava because of the tiny ass hit boxes for the adds. More often than not I lose half my health when I run out of one -bad stuff- and right into another -bad stuff- then get feared into even more -bad stuff-.

How do you handle the long aoe fear as far as positioning goes? Should the healer try to be extra close or somewhere in the middle to hopefully be in range of the tank when it wears off? Is it on a predictable timer or is it in a sequence like lava pool, breath, fear?

I have yet to down this boss in the 4-5 times I've gone in with several attempts, so any advice would be great. I'm looking for things that I can tell the tank to try out and ideas on how I can be effective as a frost DK aside from pretending to be a frost mage.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Re: Black rock caverns (heroic) - Beauty

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:31 am

Depending on your CC comp you can keep multiple puppies CCed through the entire fight. We usually mark one for death and keep two CCed.

I believe the most difficult comp I had in there was a shaman, rogue, feral kitty and paladin healer. Shaman kept his hexed the entire time. Rogue has glyphed sap so that kept one under control for a long time and the kitty kept the sapped target hibernated when it broke.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Mcduffie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 pm

Beauty is a wonderful exercise in managing absolute chaos.

DPS have to manage their cc targets
You may have to kill a puppy that's constantly dropping lava pools
Said puppy is going to make you move a lot
Don't break CC
Maintain CC
Reposition in your "tanking spot" after fear

Lots of chaos, but lots of forgiving mistakes as well. You get a poorly timed fear? 'sokay, you might just make it if your healer and tank are on the ball. And that's what it's all about, everybody being on the ball.

Thus, I only give it an attempt or two before skipping it entirely in a pug.
Mcduffie

Postby econ21 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:16 am

I fight Beauty after the last boss. That way, you can drag her out into where you fight the last boss. The CCd dogs have further to come when CC breaks (thus making it easier to re-apply CC). You can't aggro Runty. And you have more freedom to move from the lava. Also, if you just can't down her, the PUG can break up amicably having already got the LFD reward for finishing the instance.

It will get easier after the patch (one less puppy). Right now, it's quite doable if you can CC two puppies - just kill the third asap, then kill Beauty while re-applying CC.
econ21

Postby Mcduffie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 am

I currently really like the fight the "natural way." That is, fighting her in the room. I'm very much against the proposed nerf that's coming to all the heroics. But whatevs.
Mcduffie

Postby rodos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Mcduffie wrote:I currently really like the fight the "natural way." That is, fighting her in the room. I'm very much against the proposed nerf that's coming to all the heroics. But whatevs.

Most of the heroic fights don't need nerfs, and most aren't getting any. Some are even getting buffed (first and last in VP).

However, I think Beauty is broken in her current format. I was there recently with a very good group who blew through everything else in that instance by just couldn't kill her because there was no true CC available (DPS was warrior, DK, spriest, I think). Blizzard don't want more situations like Magister's Terrace, where an encounter is harder than raiding if you don't have CC and a near-trivial loot piñata if you do. The 5-man encounters have to be beatable by any random 5-man group with a reasonable risk-reward trade-off.
rodos

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons