Remove Advertisements

Cata grinding spots

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby twinkfist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm

about the troggs in deepholm...potioned myself up...got them after they dropped..killed them...no loot at all...had to go to the ledge above...got about 10 treasure boxes
twinkfist

Postby Njall » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 am

twinkfist wrote:about the troggs in deepholm...potioned myself up...got them after they dropped..killed them...no loot at all...had to go to the ledge above...got about 10 treasure boxes

That's a change from the last time I did it. I am glad to know it.

Heck, I may just go and see about parking myself in the Elementium Mine and farming the INFINITE number of mobs there. I'll offer to group with anyone who's questing through there as the bag of bonus loot is something only I can see - sort of like Tailoring's bonus cloth.

If the drop rate is consistent across all Cataclysm zones, I think that I should probably visit the cave in the Hovel. Very crowded conditions but very farm able at L85 w/ raiding gear. If I was crazy, I might have a go at some of the Schnotzi groups in Uldum but the large elite squads are tough work.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 am

Has anyone worked out the maximum cost to pay for Treasure Potions to make them worth while? They are expensive in my realm, usually around 290 G, with few in AH. Assuming I can get 15 or so mini-treasure chests an hour is this worth while?
Discus

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 am

Discus wrote:Has anyone worked out the maximum cost to pay for Treasure Potions to make them worth while? They are expensive in my realm, usually around 290 G, with few in AH. Assuming I can get 15 or so mini-treasure chests an hour is this worth while?

It really depends on your market rate for volatiles and silk but the drop rates on the volatiles and cloth are varied. I don't think you can really determine a ceiling cost on the Potions since it depends on your farming style and your drop rates of cloth/volatiles/greens in the TTCs

Let's just argue that you'd get 50g, 9 volatiles of some sort and probably 35-40 cloth from 15 chests. If you get unlucky and proc all water or life and make 9g per volatiles, cloth is going for 3g/silk, you come out with 251g from the Tiny Chests. These are my market prices for the volatiles and cloth. If you proc'd all air, you'd come out slightly ahead.

This potion was EXTREMELY useful at the beginning of the patch when the price for silk and volatiles were sky high. Now, I'm making more money selling the darn things as opposed to using them.
thatguy

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 am

Is the proc rate fixed or is it level/location dependent? I did not realize that the items worked in instances - a random pug slamed one down the instant we entered Stone Core yesterday. If it is a straight proc chance, it is not worth it as instance mobs are a bigger pain than, say, Deepholme troggs.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 am

Njall wrote:Is the proc rate fixed or is it level/location dependent? I did not realize that the items worked in instances - a random pug slamed one down the instant we entered Stone Core yesterday. If it is a straight proc chance, it is not worth it as instance mobs are a bigger pain than, say, Deepholme troggs.

I haven't seen anyone do any sort of testing regarding mob level so I can't help you there. In my own anecdotal evidence, I've been finding 15-25 or so chests each time I use them regardless of where I farm.

I think it really depends on how hard you farm. The only place where they effectively killed my AoEing was the Stone Bats/Flayer pats. Outside of that, I'm generally receiving TTCs from any other mob.
thatguy

Postby Discus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks, yeah it seemed marginal profit for me when I tried one. However, I used the silk to finally level First Aid so wasn't too bothered.

My drop rate was approx 1/40 mobs (level 80 normal).

Do the chests also have a chance to drop gear (esp blue/epics)? I really miss that flash of blue or purple when you were looting the supplicants which meant 1k in bank and you could retire for the night/buy that upgrade.

I guess Blizzard reduced the blue/epic world drop rate too, because it was making people too happy or something.
Discus

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:29 am

thatguy wrote:
I think it really depends on how hard you farm. The only place where they effectively killed my AoEing was the Stone Bats/Flayer pats. Outside of that, I'm generally receiving TTCs from any other mob.

Christ. I was hoping I'd never have to say this but...

...I'm going back into the Hovel. I thought I'd never go back in there. Fast respawn of mobs. Easily killed by a prot pally en masse. Opportunities to grief rogue miners.

Though I MIGHT consider using it in the mini dungeons on TB. The respawn rate in there is phenomenal but the mobs per hour might be a wee bit low.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am

The only thing about the dungeons is that while people in your party are looting their mobs, you still have a chance to proc a TTC on "their" mob once they loot it. It's not a total waste if you have awesome chain pulling tanks/uber dps but it probably isn't as quick as solo farming.
thatguy

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 pm

thatguy wrote:The only thing about the dungeons is that while people in your party are looting their mobs, you still have a chance to proc a TTC on "their" mob once they loot it. It's not a total waste if you have awesome chain pulling tanks/uber dps but it probably isn't as quick as solo farming.

Might do it post-patch in Blackrock Caverns as this can go very fast in regular with a few L85s acting as 'icebreakers' for the folks leveling up. In fact, this may be an option I'll suggest in guild chat later.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 pm

Discus wrote: OFC you'll always get the heroes/martyrs who will tank simply because they love tanking and don't want any perks. But a significant number of us shallow casuals miss the perks.

im not sure about the heroes/martyrs
but i can say i am still tanking because i love it

maybe im a masochist.......
:twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Amirya » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:41 pm

bldavis wrote:
Discus wrote: OFC you'll always get the heroes/martyrs who will tank simply because they love tanking and don't want any perks. But a significant number of us shallow casuals miss the perks.

im not sure about the heroes/martyrs
but i can say i am still tanking because i love it

maybe im a masochist.......
:twisted:

So next time you tank, you want 4 dps, right? All trying to pull threat?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Amirya wrote:So next time you tank, you want 4 dps, right? All trying to pull threat?

If I get enough healing to stay alive without panics, I am fine with DPS pulling hard... as long as it's not on different targets :(
Kelaan

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:19 pm

thatguy wrote:The only thing about the dungeons is that while people in your party are looting their mobs, you still have a chance to proc a TTC on "their" mob once they loot it. It's not a total waste if you have awesome chain pulling tanks/uber dps but it probably isn't as quick as solo farming.

Does anyone know... if two people in a group are both using the potion... do they both see every TTC that drops, or is it separate? Because if it was separate, it might be worth it to group up and kill mobs twice as fast (outside a dungeon or whatever).

Also... do the potions only work in Cata areas? Or do the TTC only have a chance to drop in Cata areas?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General