Who can CC what

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Who can CC what

Postby Archeth » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:30 pm

xstrykr wrote:
Goodheart wrote:A warlocks Fear can now function as a normal CC as well against everything but undead, thanks to Glyph of Fear.
Same deal for a priest's Psychic Scream with glyph.

Undead actually CAN be feared by Fear/Howl of Terror/Psychic Scream. It's just that Undead have a higher innate Fear resistance/immunity than other mobs do.

Yes we can cast fear on them (unlike polymorph or other "wrong type" CC which just refuses casting), no they cannot be feared because undead are downright immune (not just highly resistant) to fears. Although on a purely technical level you're right, claiming that undead can be feared is misleading (and not helping someone who wants to know what CC can be used on what types of mobs). The statement you quoted is true: Fear can function as a normal CC on anything but undead.
Archeth

Postby xstrykr » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Archeth wrote:
xstrykr wrote:
Goodheart wrote:A warlocks Fear can now function as a normal CC as well against everything but undead, thanks to Glyph of Fear.
Same deal for a priest's Psychic Scream with glyph.

Undead actually CAN be feared by Fear/Howl of Terror/Psychic Scream. It's just that Undead have a higher innate Fear resistance/immunity than other mobs do.

Yes we can cast fear on them (unlike polymorph or other "wrong type" CC which just refuses casting), no they cannot be feared because undead are downright immune (not just highly resistant) to fears. Although on a purely technical level you're right, claiming that undead can be feared is misleading (and not helping someone who wants to know what CC can be used on what types of mobs). The statement you quoted is true: Fear can function as a normal CC on anything but undead.

I could have sworn that I had seen a warlock fear off an Undead in a PvE setting. Then again, I haven't confirmed for myself in a while since I haven't run with a warlock in SFK (where Undead are rampant) in a while.

I do retract my statement regarding Psychic Scream however; I was doing TB dailies on my priest and those definitely were immune to my PS.
xstrykr

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Pallies can "fear" them, and I want to say Horror effects used to work on them (which was like a super fear, not sure what its current form is.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Not CC, but somewhat related: Disarm

Particularly useful on Throngus swords phase, maybe others.

Warrior - Disarm
Rogue - Dismantle
Shadow Priest - Psychic Horror if talented for it

I think Hunters used to have it but they took it away, right?
rodos

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:04 am

rodos wrote:Not CC, but somewhat related: Disarm

Particularly useful on Throngus swords phase, maybe others.

Warrior - Disarm
Rogue - Dismantle
Shadow Priest - Psychic Horror if talented for it

I think Hunters used to have it but they took it away, right?

Disarm is great... but what you need for true CC is Disleg!
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby kring » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Archeth wrote:Yes we can cast fear on them (unlike polymorph or other "wrong type" CC which just refuses casting), no they cannot be feared because undead are downright immune (not just highly resistant) to fears.

There is nothing in the game which makes undeads immune to fear because they are undead. It's just that Blizzard sets the "immune to fear" flag for most undead mobs. However there are undead mobs which can be feared. An example is in the old kingdom, the undead mobs on the two platforms you have to clear to be able to attack Prince Taldaram.
kring

Postby majiben » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:29 am

xstrykr wrote:I could have sworn that I had seen a warlock fear off an Undead in a PvE setting. Then again, I haven't confirmed for myself in a while since I haven't run with a warlock in SFK (where Undead are rampant) in a while.
Horrifies work on on most fear immune mobs, particularly noticeable when you want to use deathcoil as interrupt (don't ask... my lock does most of the interrupting work in heroics so I've learned to be creative).

As far as the fear discussion goes, most undead are fear immune but a few are not. Additionally, most mechanicals are fear immune but some may not be.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Hokahey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:05 am

Since I saw no mention, keep in mind Balance Druids have access to Solar Beam, an AoE silence. I've found it immensely helpful in heroics on occasion. Unfortunately, it is not a genuine interrupt, so it does not work on most bosses, but it is a far less annoying alternative to Typhoon when you want to make casters stop being dicks.
Hokahey

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:34 am

Hokahey wrote:Since I saw no mention, keep in mind Balance Druids have access to Solar Beam, an AoE silence. I've found it immensely helpful in heroics on occasion. Unfortunately, it is not a genuine interrupt, so it does not work on most bosses, but it is a far less annoying alternative to Typhoon when you want to make casters stop being dicks.

If you use the Glyph of Typhoon... I'm assuming it no longer interrupts (since I'm guessing the knockback is the cause of the interrupt)?
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Since I saw no mention, keep in mind Balance Druids have access to Solar Beam, an AoE silence. I've found it immensely helpful in heroics on occasion. Unfortunately, it is not a genuine interrupt, so it does not work on most bosses, but it is a far less annoying alternative to Typhoon when you want to make casters stop being dicks.

If you use the Glyph of Typhoon... I'm assuming it no longer interrupts (since I'm guessing the knockback is the cause of the interrupt)?
Correct.
Chicken

Postby altctrlsupr » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm

I printed this yesterday, but i don't know how to make a table here. It's a list of race/CC, maybe it help you.

- Humanoid:
Cyclone
Freezing Trap
Polymorph
Repentance
Mind Control
Sap
Hex
Fear
Seduce

- Beast
Cyclone