Remove Advertisements

WoW Solo?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

WoW Solo?

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Let's suppose that someone was completely anti-social. This person has a disdain for guilds, a hatred for PuGging, and generally can't stomach the presence of others for very long. What would they miss out on in WoW? For this discussion, assume that this player would be willing to do BGs (considering that they're generally uncoordinated slobber-knockers anyway).

From what I can tell, this hypothetical player wouldn't miss much. He or she would miss out on raids, the harder dungeons, and arenas. Other than that, can you think of anything else I might not be thinking of?

What class would be most beneficial for this playstyle and why?
Goins2754

Re: WoW Solo?

Postby Amirya » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Goins2754 wrote:Let's suppose that someone was completely anti-social. This person has a disdain for guilds, a hatred for PuGging, and generally can't stomach the presence of others for very long. What would they miss out on in WoW? For this discussion, assume that this player would be willing to do BGs (considering that they're generally uncoordinated slobber-knockers anyway).

From what I can tell, this hypothetical player wouldn't miss much. He or she would miss out on raids, the harder dungeons, and arenas. Other than that, can you think of anything else I might not be thinking of?

What class would be most beneficial for this playstyle and why?

Intending no offense, but if there is no need for a guild, online friends, or even willing to do pugs...why the fuck bother with an MMORPG? The hypothetical player in question would probably enjoy playing Solitaire.

If you want to do instances of any difficulty, you either do them at level with 4 other people, or wait till you outgear them you can solo. No raids, as you mentioned. Don't go to the AH, you have to deal with purchasing from people! Oh wait, trade crafts...oh, you might have to buy things from people again (some leather used in blacksmithing, for example). Don't go to the city and train, you invariably have your asshats in there. Don't bother with BGs, you still have to team up with other players. I suppose it's solo questing all the way, don't waste time trying to do multi-person quests. Ring of Blood and such are definitely out. And certainly don't be the idiot asking, "where do I get a guild page?" in trade chat. Not that you'd be there anyway, because "omg people"

Massive Multiplayer isn't exactly hermit-friendly.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby d503 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:31 pm

They would miss out on playing other better-suited RPGs, like Mass Effect 1/2, Dragon Age, some Old School FF games, etc...

If they enjoyed the Auction House, maybe that would be worth it to play solo, but frankly, what are you gonna do with the gold once you make it if you don't care about raiding, vanity, or other people's opinions.
d503

Postby econ21 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:06 pm

I agree with the OP - they'd only miss instances and arenas. They would have to enjoy levelling and alts, I guess.

I think Blizzard have made most (all?) classes viable solo, although a paladin would not be a bad choice given that they can heal and take a fair amount of damage.

I played LOTRO solo and got to max level. I really enjoyed the levelling and questing, especially in Moria which was a challenging place. LOTRO is more immersive than WoWs, imo, although that could just be because I am a Tolkien fan.

I quit at the end, though, as my computer was not good enough to do instances and I am not a fan of alts. WoW really shines in the end game and that would be dull without instances, imo.
econ21

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:50 pm

So, from what I gather from Amirya is if my playstyle differs from the norm I deserve to be ridiculed and cussed at. I didn't realize this was the case. But thank you for pointing that out.

IMHO though, WoW has a ton of content to offer besides raiding and dungeons. If you did every single quest in the game, there's still a plethora of achievements to pursue, tier sets to collect, the AH to play, and battlegrounds in which to play.

I think one could do almost every achievement not in the arena's tab and almost every achievement not in the dungeons & raids tab.
Goins2754

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 pm

I actually started out playing WoW that way... turned out the best experiences I HAD were with groups. And then I just played for the social aspect.
Invisusira

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Invisusira wrote:I actually started out playing WoW that way... turned out the best experiences I HAD were with groups. And then I just played for the social aspect.

I suppose a great guild may change my mind to be more accepting of others online, but that just seems like a statistical anomaly right now. I've tried probably 15 guilds and they're either dead in guild chat or like to just ramble non-stop with their 200+ members. It's really hard to find that one that's "just right."

As for PuGs, they're just bad. If you're not the perfect tank they're brutal to you. If you tank perfectly, they're brutal to you. I've gotten to the point now where if I PuG I don't tank, I try to be that LOLDPS that is 4th on the meters and doesn't say a word the entire run. If it can't be said with emotes, then I don't say it. Everyone seems to have a bone to pick for some reason.

I don't mind the average conversation or spontaneous RP session that comes up in game, but it just seems that everyone else wants you to play by "their" rules rather than just having a good time.
Goins2754

Postby Earantur » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Without socially interacting with other players, you can still do most stuff. Gevlon would be a prime example of what I mean, and of how I interpreted the OP.

Edit: I'd guess paladin would probably be the best class, since you're gonna be more or less self reliant.
Earantur

Postby Amirya » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:23 am

Goins2754 wrote:So, from what I gather from Amirya is if my playstyle differs from the norm I deserve to be ridiculed and cussed at. I didn't realize this was the case. But thank you for pointing that out.

IMHO though, WoW has a ton of content to offer besides raiding and dungeons. If you did every single quest in the game, there's still a plethora of achievements to pursue, tier sets to collect, the AH to play, and battlegrounds in which to play.

I think one could do almost every achievement not in the arena's tab and almost every achievement not in the dungeons & raids tab.

/shrug

Near as I can tell, you set yourself up for it. After all, you have a disdain for guilds, hatred for pugging, and can't stomach the presence of others for very long. But you want to play Multiplayer. Sure, you can solo quest. But what would be the purpose of playing Multiplayer...without the Multiplayer.

It's your $15, do whatever the fuck you want. But don't ask if you don't want the answer.

Though I will always have this slight wondering of how you're going to do any battlegrounds when you'd essentially be pugging your fellow pvpers, and how long before you afk out because you can't stomach the presence of others for very long.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:22 am

Amirya wrote:/shrug

Near as I can tell, you set yourself up for it. After all, you have a disdain for guilds, hatred for pugging, and can't stomach the presence of others for very long. But you want to play Multiplayer. Sure, you can solo quest. But what would be the purpose of playing Multiplayer...without the Multiplayer.

It's your $15, do whatever the fuck you want. But don't ask if you don't want the answer.

Though I will always have this slight wondering of how you're going to do any battlegrounds when you'd essentially be pugging your fellow pvpers, and how long before you afk out because you can't stomach the presence of others for very long.

He was just asking what wouldn't be doable, not your personal opinion on people who choose to play this way. AH/BGs, hell even must dungeons can be done by just fine with your chat box closed. You don't have to deal with annoying people rambling about stupid shit, and can still enjoy trying to top the meters, get the most HKs, make lots of money, etc.

Now, I don't personally do that, but it would be possible. I'm in a similar situation in that I pretty much only do "social" stuff with my 2 friends. Not necessarily because I'm anti-social, but more because I don't want to deal with PuGs atm with a high latency connection (pugging heroics is bad enough without gimping myself from the onset.)

To answer the original question, the only things you'd really miss out on is current content raids/dungeons/arenas, and if you cared about it... guild achievements. And I'd concur with most of the other sentiments... Pally would be good, DK/Druid would work well also. Basically just about any class that can viably heal itself enough to handle the incoming damage.
Last edited by Skye1013 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 am

I don't think anyone was attempting to put you down, but the matter remains an issue of logic. As a solo Adventure/RPG, WoW really isn't a strong choice. In solo RPGs, I'd expect a much more involved combat system, a stronger central story, and a greater ability to really influence events as an individual than what is offered in WoW.

An example of a good, sandbox-style, single-player RPG would be Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. While its dated in terms of technology, and some of the combat can be stale, the sheer vastness of the game and things you can do in it make it fantastic and near limitlessly replayable. Then there's the fact that single player RPGs don't require a monthly fee for you to keep playing. Or weekly maintainence that can prevent you from playing when its convenient for you. Or server issues. Or internet connection issues.

WoW is designed around forcing you into various levels of interaction with other human beings, even if its as small as comparing yourself to others while you run around questing. Refusing to group with people locks you out of pretty much anything outside of mindlessly grinding at level cap. Leveling alts can be fun for a while, but doing the same sets of quests will get old fairly quick. Many of the best storylines in the game end in dungeons and raids. While you can pop over to any number of websites to see the result, you could do that without ever playing the game at all. The fun is in experiencing it for yourself.

I can empathize with the sentiment that you dislike interacting with a lot of the people on WoW. I don't understand really how a guild where no one spoke in gchat would be worse than no guild at all. At worst, you have a guild tag over your head that you really don't care about, and nothing else. At best, you at least have minimal access to that guild's resources, and perhaps a better oppurtunity to establish ongoing friendships with other people playing the game.

I guess my question is, what is it you really want from playing WoW? You can play WoW in whatever way you like, but why play WoW, as opposed to another game, if you dislike the social aspects of an MMO?

As for what class works best for solo play, pending what exactly you intend to do in-game, Paladins are a strong choice, since its much easier to solo group quests and dungeons with the ability to wear plate and heal yourself on demand. Druids, Death Knights, Hunters, Shamans, Rogues, and Warlocks are also strong choices, since either the ability to outright tank almost anything to death, a pet to do it for you, or the ability to sneak past a lot of stuff makes soloing a lot of content much easier.

I wouldn't generally recommend Warriors, Priests, or Mages. Warriors lack of on demand self-healing can be crippling when trying to solo old dungeon and raid bosses. Priests wear cloth, and they don't have something they can use to tank for them, unless there is something they can Mind Control nearby, and a lot of the mobs you'd really like to use this way are immune. Mages rely heavily on CC and snares for their survival, but a lot of mobs in dungeons are immune to those effects, usually the specific mobs you'd want to be vulnerable.

If you have no intention of soloing dungeons or old raids, pretty much any class works just fine for regular solo play, and can be fun. That just boils down to what you enjoy doing.
Hokahey

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:23 am

If you didn't want to incite this sort of response, perhaps you shouldn't have been so transparently misleading about this "hypothetical" situation. Your suggestion of battlegrounds as a non-social activity is reprehensible given how deeply they are afflicted by individuals treating them that way.

Look at the end-game content:
- Daily quests. These are the same, every day. They also cause you to come in constant contact with many other players doing the same quests.
- Dungeons, raids, and arenas. These are highly social group efforts.
- Battlegrounds. These are supposed to be highly social group efforts. Even if you join battlegrounds with no intention of cooperating with other people, you will quickly be frustrated by how unsuccessful battles are when people aren't cooperating as a team.
- Grinding. To what end?

If all you want to do is quest until you run out, there are many enjoyable ways to do that which other single-player games do better. Without the social aspect, the heart of soul of WoW is missing. I can recommend any number of games which are fun as a single player with no social aspect, and they all come with massive advantages such as lack of subscription fees, save/load features, pausing, etc.

Certainly, I sympathize with the plight of the internet and WoW in particular being chock full of idiots. Making friends isn't much easier than it is in real life, and finding the right guild is never easy. It took me years of raiding to find a guild that I really clicked with.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:30 am

I don't think completely avoiding every other player is what he's referring to... from what I gather, he just tends to treat them like NPCs. Ignoring them unless he absolutely needs something from them.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:51 am

Goins2754 wrote:I suppose a great guild may change my mind to be more accepting of others online, but that just seems like a statistical anomaly right now. I've tried probably 15 guilds and they're either dead in guild chat or like to just ramble non-stop with their 200+ members. It's really hard to find that one that's "just right."

If you're not in a guild then your guild chat is inherently "dead". So how can a guild with dead chat be a problem? Is it because they don't provide your desired level of social contact and drain you in some way (i.e. asking you for help all the time)?

If that's the problem, join a guild that won't bother you if you don't want to be bothered. My guild, for example, has a player that doesn't interact with any of the rest of us much. He's the father of a former guild member. That member (and his wife) left the guild like two years ago for a larger one, but his dad stayed. He's on most days, he solos, he PUGs, he runs battlegrounds, but he says pretty much nothing in guild chat. Occasionally I'll get a tell. Fine with me. Fine with him. No problem.
Digren

Postby Goins2754 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks to some of you for your help. I got the answers I was looking for. No need to post here anymore except for debate amongst yourselves. I'll not be checking this topic again. :?
Goins2754

Return to General