Remove Advertisements

[10] Heroic Chimaeron

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Heroic Chimaeron

Postby pdrayton » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:07 pm

We're still working out the kinks on this fight, tried 3 tanks, 2 tanks + 1 DPS tank, and pure 2 tanks (per Treck's suggestion). Honestly the 2 tanks felt totally workable, but our healers preferred the 2+1 strat so we're back to that - I'm assuming it will net us a kill shortly.

Anyway, one tip I've not see mentioned much is the Cardboard Assassin. It cant fail, and there's no raid-viable belt tinker alternative, so we just have all our engineers tinker that one, and use Assassins as an extra cooldown. When the BOT is online the assassin will completely negate both hits of a double-attack, and during the Feud phases it will eat 1 of the 2 attacks in the DA, which is effectively a 50% damage reduction as well.
pdrayton

Postby Chicken » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Cardboard Assassins make great double attack soakers yes, just keep in mind they won't do anything for the last 20% of the boss fight as Chimaeron is taunt immune for that.
Chicken

Postby Recid » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:54 am

Got this in one night of attempts with a dps warrior tank, DK tank, and pally tank. Fight is quite a bit easier than H Halfus, or at least it was for us. Only thing we had issues with was getting people topped off for phase 3 during a feud, finally got it though. Quite a bit of rng in this encounter, like a lot of others.
Recid

Postby Chunes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 am

Well, this fight has fucked with my group for probably a combined total of about 7 hours of wipes. Our main pain point is related to the normal -> burn phase transition.

We have managed to get the whole 2.5 tank swap rotation thing nailed down, so that's more or less a non-issue now. We have been pushing chimaeron to 24% then just auto-attacking or "5SR" regen'ing (read: dps casters wanding or just sitting there) while we wait for him to massacre. We save lust/tranquility for that massacre, bunch up, and as soon as he casts it, everyone goes apeshit and tries to force the transition before he gets to cast a caustic slime on someone.

This has been met with little success because by the time we got the first phase of the fight down, it was already 3hrs into our raid time and we were all tired and cranky from chain wipes. So lust would be late, tranq would be late, I forgot to soak a double attack so our dpsTank gibbed, etc. All of that just made worse by the fact that we would be unable to stop the burn phase transition, people would get slimed and then die after 1 tick of the shadow debuff etc. etc.

We got chimaeron down to 7.5% on our best attempt. We'll get him sunday, but jesus, this fight can and will be ruined by one fucking person who makes a mistake. The whole thing stands balanced on a razor's edge.
Chunes

Postby frenzy20 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 am

Our solution to the burn phase transition was to just stack everyone up so that Caustic Slime is split. Get your last massacre around 25%(stop dots and all dps if you have to), stack up, spam aoe heals, and start pushing the phase. People will be missing some hp depending on how soon the transition comes after a caustic, but they should have enough to survive the phase. Our kill had everyone extremely low on hp even after some amazing tank avoidance rng.
Nagu - Shattered Hand(US) - Main
Xiin - Shattered Hand(US) - Old Main
frenzy20

Postby Chunes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 am

frenzy20 wrote:Our solution to the burn phase transition was to just stack everyone up so that Caustic Slime is split. Get your last massacre around 25%(stop dots and all dps if you have to), stack up, spam aoe heals, and start pushing the phase. People will be missing some hp depending on how soon the transition comes after a caustic, but they should have enough to survive the phase. Our kill had everyone extremely low on hp even after some amazing tank avoidance rng.

Good to know. Confirms with what we observed last night. We were doing just this, but people immediately spread out by reflex after a final feud phase caustic slime. 2 people shared a bolt and died when we pushed the phase.
Chunes

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:40 am

I think our first kill shows a very well executed phase transition. Holding back at 25% is too much for us. We have to do it lower than that. I think we were aiming for 23%. Anyway, he transitions at about 21.4% (heroic 25, assume it's the same on 10). We blow heroism when we push him over.

You can see the raid gets topped off very well, he gets pushed over, and away we go.

Note that I taunted just before the transition so that our DPS tank wouldn't instantly die. The timing wasn't perfect as I got a stack of break. But the goal there is for whatever tank has no stacks of break to have the boss at the start. And for sure, just make sure the DPS tank doesn't have him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK_8zIFc0ag

We got a massacre/feud with boss at 26% (5:39) when Feud started. We slowed down DPS at 23% and waited for the next massacre (6:09). Heroism was blownn right after that Massacre ended (boss at 22% at this point)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am

Cardboard Assassins no longer work on bosses.
Belloc

Postby Arianne » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:25 pm

/sigh I knew we were going to get that nerfed. :\ Poor engineers... I don't think they have anything left that's useful....
Arianne

Postby Aerron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Arianne wrote:/sigh I knew we were going to get that nerfed. :\ Poor engineers... I don't think they have anything left that's useful....

My engi helm and plasma shield are doin okay ... isn't Synapse becoming more useful in the next patch too?
Aerron

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Aerron wrote:
Arianne wrote:/sigh I knew we were going to get that nerfed. :\ Poor engineers... I don't think they have anything left that's useful....

My engi helm and plasma shield are doin okay ... isn't Synapse becoming more useful in the next patch too?

You'll love your shield until it misfires and ends up AOE taunting everything, usually resulting in deaths/wiped raid.
Belloc

Postby starbust » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi some great info here im hoping to kill him with 2 tanks on 10man but i have a question which hoping any guild that has tested with dps tanking him can answer.

I have seen people suggesting dks, ret pallys tanking first question is what dps is lost from either of these? second question relates to first
Ret pallys using 2handers to tank? using sword and board sounds like you might aswell speced tank? and pulled just as much dps?
If so how much armor does one ret pally who can tank the boss have?
and last question...

Could a boomkin tank this with 1min barskin cd with MD from the hunter (threats very high atm anyways) able to taunt bear and shift back to dps. Im not saying im going to try it but i would like to know if its possible and even better armor than a ret pally? once 4.0.6 comes moonkin form giving -15% dmg
so pushbacks going to lower dps i can't see it going under 14K dps.
starbust

Postby Gab » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 pm

starbust wrote:Hi some great info here im hoping to kill him with 2 tanks on 10man but i have a question which hoping any guild that has tested with dps tanking him can answer.

I have seen people suggesting dks, ret pallys tanking first question is what dps is lost from either of these? second question relates to first
Ret pallys using 2handers to tank? using sword and board sounds like you might aswell speced tank? and pulled just as much dps?
If so how much armor does one ret pally who can tank the boss have?
and last question...

Could a boomkin tank this with 1min barskin cd with MD from the hunter (threats very high atm anyways) able to taunt bear and shift back to dps. Im not saying im going to try it but i would like to know if its possible and even better armor than a ret pally? once 4.0.6 comes moonkin form giving -15% dmg
so pushbacks going to lower dps i can't see it going under 14K dps.

Your "DPS tank" only needs to be above 10k health; defensive CDs/armor/health are irrelevant due to that mechanic also it shouldn't matter if your ret has a shield. I don't think a boomkin would make the best "DPS tank", considering he will be using GCDs switching in and out of bear form, although I suppose it could work. A Ret paly or DK are optimal for the "DPS tank" job because of the ability to put up a threat multiplier and quick access to taunt.

The "DPS tank" should not be tanking during double attacks or during feud. He is only tanking to absorb break stacks so that at least one real tank can go into feuds and double attack soak without break stacks.

We gave this fight 3 or so hours of pulls last night, getting him down to about 15 percent. I think we need to work on the transition point. We started with just two tanks, but found cardboard assassin's got nerfed :(. There were too many opportunities for tank gibs it seemed so we went to 3 tanks. A feral kitty went bear form to tank during "normal" phase. And the other two tanks tanked during fueds and double attacks depending on who had the break stacks. When we got sub 20 percent the feral kitty would go back into cat form, I would HoSalv him and he would dps at that point. We had about 30 seconds on the enrage even using more or less 3 tanks.
Gab

Postby Técaro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 am

Having killed this last night, the strat Theck posted should work perfectly fine. We did have one minor adjustment where we'd have the offline tank continue taking the normal hits. This left the tank on 4 breaks with one double attack to soak while debuffed. Considering the only non-tank cd we used was Guardian Spirit on our warrior during his last offline tanking, this posed no problem however. The kill also involved a feud after the first massacre, so you don't need perfect rng.
The way I'd tank 4break doubles was Divine Protection+3HoPo WoG shield+Dodge trinket. Didn't even come close to dying in 40 tries. Not sure what our warrior used but afaik his only deaths were from a mistimed GS or not being topped properly. You can be liberal with DL and WoG to help get your OT topped as well.
As for transitioning into p3, we stayed stacked after the massacre and had the boss at around 23% before we pushed him. Ideally we pushed before the first caustic slime, but even if one hit it wasn't a big problem. After that it's just a matter of nuking, and preferably having a few classes with delaying abilities; hunters, mages, etc.
We also BR'd a DPS in p3, which helped.
Técaro

Postby Aerron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 am

Belloc wrote:
Aerron wrote:

You'll love your shield until it misfires and ends up AOE taunting everything, usually resulting in deaths/wiped raid.

Haven't had it happen yet. I don't use it on trash, only bosses, so I'm not sure which fight this would actually cause a problem on. Halfus maybe, but that fight's such a joke it might actually make it interesting.
Aerron

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)