Bldavis' Feral Druid Pre-heroic Gearlist

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Bldavis' Feral Druid Pre-heroic Gearlist

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:53 pm

*Here it is, my long awaited list of cat/bear gear*

Pre-Heroic Druid Bear/Cat Gear Failsafe Guide

This Guide will provide a list of gear for bear/cat druids that is not dependent on drops from regulars (unless noted) that should get you ready to start running the wonderful world of Cata heroics. I am putting together this list with items from Quest rewards, Crafted Items, and items you can purchase with Justice Points, but will offer suggestions of alternate items in the case of JP items.

This is my first attempt at making such a guide, so please bear (no pun intended) with me.

Helm

I would go with Mask of Vines
This is the best helm outside of pvp and heroics, it will take a while to get, but could last you until raids if you are unlucky with the RNG gods.

How do I get it? Purchasable with 2200 Justice Points

To help fill the gap between starting heroics and having enough JPs to by the Mask, Dunwald Winged Helm (Shocktrooper Hood –Horde) has a nice amount of agility, which translates into AP and Crit, both of which are yummy for kitties. This would also be a nice choice for bears; as agil will also turn into dodge, and it is available from a quest.

How do I get it? It is a quest reward from Krazz Works! (Horde) or Doing it like a Dunwald (Alliance)

Shoulders

Both: the best option here is Embrace of the Night Nice amount of Agil and Stam, and a blue socket with agil bonus. Really the only difference is going to be the gem and inscriptions you use.

How do I get it? Purchasable for 1650 Justice Points

Alternate: Aledrinker Shoulderpads (Cult-hide Spauders-Horde) This will get you by and into running regulars…but isn’t the best option. Use as merely a filler piece until you can start heroics or have enough JP to get the Embrace

How do I get it? It is a quest reward from Dressed to Kill (Horde) or Anything but Water (Alliance)

Neck:
There are a few good options here: Pendent of Victorious Fury is a nice quest reward. Acorn of the Daughter Tree is a great rep reward from Guardians of Hyjal, requiring revered. Last but not least there is a perk for all of us that are JC’s or at least have JC alts/friends that owe us favors. Entwined Elementium Choker is a JC crafted piece, requiring 525 skill.

How do I get it? The Pendent is a quest reward from Battle of Life and Death, Acorn can be purchased once you are revered (at least) with Guardians of Hyjal, and the Choker can be bought off the
AH, or made for just a few mats.

Back:

We have a couple options here.
Razor-Edged Cloak is top of the line 346 LW crafted piece, but given its mats cost you will pay a pretty penny for it.
Cloak of Beasts on the other hand has a much lower mats requirement and is very good.
There is also the reputation option here as well: Softwind Cape is also a decent starting cloak, and could very well get you clear into raid content.

How do I get it?
Either cruise the AH, make friends with a LW or get started on that grind with the Earthen Ring to at least revered. If you are going bear, then you will need the ER rep for your Arcanum of the Earthen Ring anyway.

Chest:

Another slot which we have a couple options as well:
Tunic of Sinking Envy and Sly Fox Jerkin are both good items, with a red and a blue socket each, both wonderful colors for either spec of feral, and good socket bonuses.

How do I get it?
The Tunic is purchasable for 2200 Justice Points, while the Jerkin is purchasable from the Guardians of Hyjal starting at Honored.

Wrists

This is a slot that gear is lacking in, either you go with Flarefire Bracers, ( Buildingblast Bracers – Horde) or you go with the Leatherworking crafted PVP Bracers. Remember, you cannot reforge resilience. The pvp ones are a good stop gap, due to better stats, but really neither is ideal for heroics.

How do I get it?
The PVP bracers can be made by a Leatherworker of at least 510 skill level.
The other set are a quest reward from Call in the Arillery, Call in the Artillery, (Alliance)

Hands

The only option here is Sticky Fingers. Just gotta grind them out., as these will do you better than the pvp crafted, or the 318 quest rewards.

For those of us just starting out, and don’t have a stockpile of JPs yet, there is the Blackscale Wraps (Alliance) and Heth'Jatari Battlegloves (Horde), both of which are quest rewards from the Twilight Highlands quests

How do I get it?
Purchasable for 1650 Justice Points, or : Naga Reinforcements -Alliance, and Blast Him! - Horde.

Rings

3 rings, 2 slots
Terrath’s Signet of Balance – Do not get confused by the name, this is for Ferals, not our feathery brethren. It is a nice ring for either spec. (Remember hit can be reforged to dodge for bears, or crit for those dual purposing)
Elenmentium Destroyer’s Ring and Band of Blades have the same mats, and similar stats; However I am partial to Elenmentium Destroyer’s Ring’s crit/mastery combo as that is most benificail to both specs.

How do I get it?

Terrath’s Signet of Balance is available to you at revered with Therazane, the Cata version of Sons of Hodir.
Elenmentium Destroyer’s Ring and Band of Blades are Jewelcrafting made, both requiring 525 JC skill.

Waist

Yet another slot that we have choices in
Sash of Musing is a nice piece for either spec with the red socket and a +10 mastery bonus.
The other option here is Quicksand Belt which is a great bear belt with its blue slot and +10 agil bonus.

How do I get it?
Sash of Musing will set you back 1650 Justice Points, while Quicksand Belt requires you be at least Revered with Ramkahen, the cat people of Uldum.

[Legs

The +20 socket bonus with a red and blue socket on Leggings of the Burrowing Mole make them wonderful feral leggings.

Shaw’s Finest Leggings (Garona’s Finest Leggings – Horde) are another nice pair of pants. While no sockets, they also don’t require instance running being a quest reward.

Finally, there are Swiftflight Leggings (Leggings of the Impenitent – Horde) which have a red/yellow socket, +20 crit bonus, and aren’t bad, but they aren’t the best either. These are better for Cat then Bear.

How do I get them?

Leggings of the Burrowing Mole is available for purchase for a mere 2200 Justice Points, but well worth it, as these may stay with you well into raid content.

The Finest Leggings are quest rewards in Twilight Highlands, from Skullcrusher the Mountain (same quest name for both Alliance and Horde)

And finally, Leggings of the Impenitent and Swiftflight Leggings require honored with Dragonmaw and Wildhammer Clans respectively.

Feet

Sadly, another slot that druids get no love:
The PVP Crafted are a nice stop gap, if you know a leatherworker, but I would just stick it out with Flameproof Treads (Heartstone Treads – Horde) until you get into heroics or get lucky on drops from regulars. The quest rewards should get you into heroics.

How do I get it?

The quest rewards are from Paint it Black and Magamlord Falthazar respectively.

If you are a Leatherworker, or know one, the PVP Crafted require 515 leatherworking, but the mats aren’t outrageous.

Relic
(the slot formerly known as Idol)

I suggest making buddy buddy with a scribe and seeing if you can sweet-talk him/her into making you a Silver Inlaid Leaf.

If that is not an option, than there is another scribed idol, Runed Dragonscale, or some quest rewards in Relic of the Waywalker (Same item name for both horde and alliance)

How do I get it?
As stated before, either be a scribe, or make friends with one. Requires 515 Inscription and [url=http://www.wowhead.com/spell=86653]some hefty mats [url].
The Runed Dragonscale is a little easier on the wallet then its higher tiered cousin, but still requires 505 inscription.

Relic of the Waywalker is a reward from The Wrong Sequence - Alliance and The Wrong Sequence - Horde, in Deepholm.

Trinkets

This is where your profesions really shine

JC: Figureine – Demonic Panther is your best friend. Added bonus is the name if you are a cat.

For those of us who like big butts, I mean are of the bear persuasion, there is Figureine – Earthen Guardian. The sheer massive amount of stam on this would give any tank a nerdgasm back in Wrath, and is still nice now in Cata. Add on use ability, it gets better, even if it is just dodge.

Alch: Currently there is just a bear option in Alchemist Stones, but an agil version will be added in 4.0.6, namely Quicksilver Alchemist Stone

Engineering: Engineers got some love in Cata, in the form of [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=60403]Elementium Dragonling[url]. Mastery plus a on use ability.

If you aren’t a JC, Alch, or Eng, then you have a few less choices.
Tol Barad has a decent trinket at Honored.

And last but not least is the quest reward, from Firing Squad in Uldum.

Weapons

The aspiring bear/cat has a few options here, and really comes down to if you are friends with a BS. if your faction is good at pvp(or dont mind a really long grind on fewer dailies).

top of the heap here is Elementuim Poleaxe. With its crit and mastery stats, it is a great choice for both specs, however the cost of 3 chaos orbs could really jack up the price on this.

With the same Agil and Stam as the Elementuim Poleaxe, Spear of Trailing Shadows, Alliance version is a nice weapon if you are unlucky winning rolls on the orbs, broke, or both. The drawback is it requires a pretty hefty grind to revered with your Tol Barad faction.

Another option here is the surprisingly nice quest reward Staff of Draconic Pacification (Torth-Slayer's Staff-Horde) from Twilight Highlands. With the haste, it isnt the best weapon, but hey that is something you can reforge to hit/crit, or dodge if you are bear

Note – These are just items of 333-346 ilvl to help get you into heroics. I did not add any dungeon drops, just crafted items, BoE drops, and quest rewards.
The stat weights were based on just my past experience as a feral/feral druid and may or may not be correct.
That said; I hope this list helps you in gearing up you druid, whether they be cat or bear.

Changes:
1/30/11 - added weapons to the list
1/31/11 - updated some of the commentary based on further research, added trinkets that were left out.
Last edited by bldavis on Mon May 09, 2011 11:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Bldavis' Feral Druid Pre-heroic Gearlist

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm

once you get into heroics, here are some piece to look out for
(note i will be updating this alot as i add pieces to the list, trying to fit it in between classes)

Head: Helm of Numberless Shadows - Drops from High Priestess Azil in H-Stonecore, the blue socket is nice for both bear and (with +30 agil bonus) kitty. The stats however make this more of a kitty helm, with the JP option being the better bet for bear

Neck: Mouth of the Earth - Drops from Earthrager Ptah in Halls of Origination. The stats on this make it sub-optimal for both specs, but I would still pick it up if you still have a green.
Pendent of the Lightless Grotto - Drops from Ozruk in Stonecore. The itemization on this makes it very nice for both cat and bear druids.

Shoulder: Caridean Epaulettes - Drops from Commander Ulthok in Throne of the Tides. Haste and Crit, with red socket (+10 haste bonus) make these pretty good kitty shoulders, much less so for bear.
Thieving Spaulders - Drops from Commander Springvale. Another Haste/Crit with haste socket bonus (yellow socket) make these another example of kitty gear.
For bears, this is another slot that JP will serve you well.

Cloak: Cape of the Brotherhood - Drops from "Captain" Cookie in Deadmines. Hit/Haste make this more ideal for a combat rogue then a feral driud, but it will work if you dont have better.
Cloak of Thredd – Drops from Helix Gearbreaker in Deadmines. Crit/Mastery make this a much better feral cloak.
Kaleki Cloak – Drops from General Husam in Lost City of the Tolvir. Hit/Mastery are not ideal for druids, but it could be worse.
Twitching Shadows – Drops from Ascendant Lord Obsidius in Blackrock Caverns. Crit/Haste makes for a decent kitty cloak, but it is better for rogues/hunters.

Chest: Hieroglyphic Vest - Drops from Setesh in Halls of Origination. Crit/Haste with dual yellow sockets (+20 agil) make this better for kitty, and one you should pick up the soccket bonus in as well.
Vest of Misshapen Hides - Drops from Erudax in Grim Batol. The Crit/Mastery with red/blue sockets (+20 mastery bonus) make this a strong peice for either spec, and one I would suggest picking up the socket bonus in.
Defias Brotherhood Vest - Drops from Glubtok in Deadmines. Following the long tradition of Defias gear being great feral armor, this is great for bears AND cats. The haste can be reforged for bears, and with teh +20 mastery bonus (red/yellow sockets) this is another one i would grab the bonus on.

Wrist: Double Dealing Bracers – Drops from Lord Walden in Shadowfang Keep. Crit/Mastery makes for a great piece of feral gear.
Poison Fang Bracers – Drops from Temple Guardian Anhuur in Halls of Origination. Hit/Haste makes these better for combat rogues, but decent for kitties.

Hands: Gloves of Haze - Drops from Asaad in Vortex Pinnacle. Crit/Mastery make this a really good peice for bears, and it is decent for kitties as well. Blue Socket with +10 crit could be better.
Sadly this is the only option from heroics.

Rings: Nautilus Ring - Drops in Neptulon's Cache in Throne of the Tides. Crit/Haste combo make this a perfect cat ring, but fairly crappy for bears. Keep for your dps spec, or at least until you get better
Ring of Blinding Stars - Drops from Isiset in Halls of Origination. Haste/Mastery make this more of a kitty ring, but workable for bears. Reforge the haste to dodge and you are good!
Ring of Dun Algaz - Drops from Forgemaster Throngus in Blackrock Caverns. Hit/Crit make this ideal for neither spec of ferals, and better suited for rogues or other agil users. Take if you are only agil user, or no-one else needs, but it should be one of the first to be upgraded if you do.
Skullcracker Ring - Drops from Rom'ogg Bonecrusher in Blackrock Caverns. Crit/Mastery make this a good choice for either spec.

Belts: Red Beam Cord - Drops from Rajh in Halls of Origination. Crit/Haste combo make this a perfect kitty belt, but not so good of a bear belt. Blue socket with +10 haste, not the best bonus, go pure agil here

will add more soon

[url][/url] - Drops from
Last edited by bldavis on Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

same as last one

bldavis

one more just in case

bldavis

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 pm

4 should be enough right?

bldavis

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Neat; I am about to start working on my bear, so this is a timely compilation. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Neat; I am about to start working on my bear, so this is a timely compilation. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

i am currently leveling my druid, so this was going to be put together anyway, i figured i might as well help anyone else that was going to do the same

bldavis

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Moved to off-spec forum.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 am

Just a couple of critiques... for a "pre-heroic" gearlist, it has an awful lot of JP items. Some you have alternatives until you can get the JP, but 2200 at 70 per day is an awful long time to wait to get geared for heroics (without successfully running the heroics you're attempting to gear for).

Also, alchemists have a really nice stam trinket w/a blue socket and a buff to health/mana pots. While not necessarily the best for kitties, it's another option. And the Agility one is only a patch away.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:11 am

Skye1013 wrote:Just a couple of critiques... for a "pre-heroic" gearlist, it has an awful lot of JP items. Some you have alternatives until you can get the JP, but 2200 at 70 per day is an awful long time to wait to get geared for heroics (without successfully running the heroics you're attempting to gear for).

Also, alchemists have a really nice stam trinket w/a blue socket and a buff to health/mana pots. While not necessarily the best for kitties, it's another option. And the Agility one is only a patch away.

GAH! i forgot the alch trinkets! :shock: :oops:

and ill go back and add some quest rewards in the slots that there is just the JP option

edit: added some quest items, expanded the relic selections, and refined some of my commentary based on more research i did last night.
and if a mod can delete my reserved posts that would help, i probably wont get around to doing enchant/gems anytime soon. :(

bldavis

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:12 am

bldavis wrote:and if a mod can delete my reserved posts that would help, i probably wont get around to doing enchant/gems anytime soon. :(

Red:
Delicate Inferno Ruby (Agi)

Blue:
Shifting Demonseye (Agi/Stam)
Guardian's Demonseye (Exp/Stam)
Glinting Demonseye (Agi/Hit)
Accurate Demonseye (Exp/Hit)

Yellow:
Polished Ember Topaz (Agi/Dodge)
Adept Ember Topaz (Agi/Mastery)
Deadly Ember Topaz (Agi/Crit)

Meta:
Chaotic Shadowspirit Diamond (Crit/Crit Dmg)
Austere Shadowspirit Diamond (Stam/Armor)
Agile Shadowspirit Diamond (Agi/Crit Dmg) {Available patch 4.0.6}

I can't imagine that you'd use Exp over Agi (especially with reforging), but I posted the links just in case.

Edit: Added Metas
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:01 am

And for enchants:

Bear:
Head: Arcanum of the Earthen Ring (90 Stam/35 Dodge, revered Earthen Ring)
Shoulder: Greater Inscription of Unbreakable Quartz (75 Stam/25 Dodge, exalted Therazane)
Back: Major Agility (22 Agi) or Protection (250 Armor)
Chest: Greater Stamina (75 Stam) or Stamina (55 Stam) or Peerless Stats (20 Stats) or Mighty Stats (15 Stats)
Wrists: Dodge (50 Dodge) or Major Stamina (40 Stam)
Hands: Glove Reinforcements (240 Armor) or Heavy Savage Armor Kit (44 Stam) or Greater Mastery (65 Mastery) or Mastery (50 Mastery) or Major Agility (20 Agi)
Legs: Charscale Leg Armor (145 Stam/55 Agi)
Feet: Heavy Savage Armor Kit (44 Stam) or Assassin's Step (25 Agi/minor run speed) or Major Agility (35 Agi) or Earthen Vitality (30 Stam/minor run speed)
Weapon: Mighty Agility (130 Agi) or Windwalk (600 Dodge/inc. move speed proc) or Mending (heal proc)
Ring (enchanter only): Agility (40 Agi) or Greater Stamina (60 Stam)

Obviously if you have a profession that has a better version (inscription for shoulders, leatherworking for bracers, etc.) then you'd want to use that.

If I get the chance, I'll see about getting a kitty list (a lot will be the same due to agi enchants.) This was just easy to compile (from a list off EJ :D.)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes