Remove Advertisements

Rift

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Rift!

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:13 am

masterpoobaa wrote:Soul Tree = Talent Tree?

From what I've been reading, it's fairly similar, but you can select 3 different soul trees according to your base class (Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Cleric). Each equipped soul allows you to "spec" into those trees, and I assume you can change out the souls. Also there will be 4 "saved" specs that you will be able to switch between.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby laterna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:03 am

Hmm apparently I was mistaken, the beta invites aren't similar to WoW style beta. You get handed an invite which basically lasts for a set number of events unless its a VIP invite(media etc) That enables you to play on all beta events. Currently this is going on :

Welcome to the fifth beta event for RIFT!

The beta servers are scheduled to be available for play from Tuesday 1/25/2011 at 10AM PST until Friday 1/28/2011 at 10AM PST.

Beta #5: Battle of the Ascended
During this event, all previously opened content is available for play. In addition, Battle of the Ascended includes a new level cap of 30, the shared zone of Scarlet Gorge, and its associated dungeon: Foul Cascade. Go forth and conquer!

I'll be able to play and hopefully provide some snapshots (if I manage and get the new pc running by then, I'll record with everything as high as my GT570 can push it.
laterna

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:41 am

Aion was a beautiful LOOKING game... but within 10 minutes I went

"damnit... I just bought another oriental grind" and sure enough.. I was right.. I don't regret that I bought 2 limited editions for me and my love to try it because we did enjoy it for the short time we did play it.. I just hope that the next person that tries to enter the world of fantasy MMO really put a ALOT of solid investing into their work (like blizzard does)
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Punkss2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 am

I will try to post some screenies later tonight when I start playing. My biggest fear, is that the UI is going to be garbage. I love the customization that WOW offered with their UI.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Santcuff » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:53 am

Punkss2 wrote:I will try to post some screenies later tonight when I start playing. My biggest fear, is that the UI is going to be garbage. I love the customization that WOW offered with their UI.

Not going to post the actual images since they are kinda large but here is the basic UI
http://images.mmorpg.com/images/galleri ... 7dd45e.jpg

And then you can customize the UI easily with a setting they put in themselves (which is awesome BTW)
http://img571.imageshack.us/f/rift2010122002295618.png/
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby laterna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Servers came up for beta couple of hours late... And are ALL full :d I'm seeing like 15 servers at best, with 6-7 english ones. Waiting on queue to get into one now and maybe make my cleric
laterna

Postby thegreatheed » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:31 pm

It's your basic fantasy MMO.

Nothing new or ground breaking.

Has talent trees. No innovative quests. Some limited public quest type encounters like War.

Has crafting.... go mine ore, smelt it, and make stuff... /yawn.

This game is pure rehashed ideas. Nothing new or innovative at all.
thegreatheed

Postby Orthien » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm

I have been playing the Beta this morning.

So far it looks well polished for still in Beta stage but there are some massive lag issues during the large scale invasions.

The Soul Trees are quite enjoyable but you find yourself side lining half your spells because you just wont use them.

From what I have seen the game is very enjoyable and does not look to be full of bugs and grinding as others (see Aion, WAR and FFXIV) have been, yet it still lacks that thing that "grabs" you like WoW does.
I see it having a future and I might even play it for a while but its nothing to draw me from WoW yet.
Orthien

Postby Punkss2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Image Image
Punkss2

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 am

Was checking out their wiki yesterday and it looks like a pretty solid foundation. Not sure how the graphics look (the SS on there aren't the best quality.) I do question them having dwarves that have no facial hair...

Edit: From your SS, it doesn't look too bad.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:49 am

I am enjoying it thus far. The questing isn't bad at all. I really like the way they have a questhelper built in, which makes the quests extreemly easy to figure out/accomplish. The UI is really customizable by default, the problem is figuring out where to make most of the changes. Mostly if you ask in public chat people are willing to assist.

The graphics are really nice. I am running at 1920x1080 at around 35 - 60 FPS, depending on if I'm by a rift or not. There are ALOT of people running around right now, so yeah there is some latency and lag, but my latency never went over 175ms, nor did I ever disconnect. This is the vid card I am running (NVIDIA GTX 260) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130433 and I have my video set to the High preset (Ultra is the highest, havent tried it yet).

As for the soul trees, I would have to agree with what somone else said about not using half the abilities that are available. It's almost too many options really. By level 6 you have all 3 callings available to you to invest souls in. The level cap is 30 right now and I think that gives like 40ish points to invest. I will be investing most if not all my points into a single tree as that seems to be the best use for them right now. I wish the beta would extend over the weekend to really give me more time to progress further. I was able to level a Warrior and Rogue to level 10 in about a total of 4-5 hours of play.

EDIT: The SS I took also aren't full size. Is there a way to upload the full size to photobucket? I did it real quick last night before going to bed so I didn't look into it too much.
Punkss2

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 pm

6 Levels tonight out of maybe 4.5 hours of play. I finally got unlazy and remapped my keybinds to my mouse which really helped out. The map is extreemly useful to find out where rifts and events are.

Punkss2

Postby laterna » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:06 am

Yes indeed, the map is amazing. You can show your raid group where you are headed, and by mousing over each person it shows their direct path. Mousing over rift-parties headed to towns, it shows the town they are headed, by marking an arrow between their current location and the town. Also, a spawning of a rift is absolutely AMAZING! The animations are well done, and you need to defend the towns as well as take to the offence to close each smaller rift individually!

I'm on Ardent btw, lvl 17 cleric, cabalist/inquisitor/shaman
laterna

Postby Levantine » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:34 am

Looks pretty enough. I might give it a go for a month when it comes out, see if anything grabs me.
Levantine

Postby cakeftw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm pretty suprised nobody has mentioned the rifts themselves here, they are absolutely AMAZING, sadly i suck at explaining things and would only make them sound terrible :(
cakeftw

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games