Remove Advertisements

How is prot for day-to-day solo play these days?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How is prot for day-to-day solo play these days?

Postby Donut » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:42 pm

I wouldn't recommend Rage Winterchill without significant planning. I tried to solo it to get my Hand of A'dal title and had to bring in a bunch of guildies. Although his icebolts only hit for 2k and his iceblock isn't much higher, he keeps recasting the ~3 second stun every time it ends though; on top of that the death and decay is % based and ticked for I believe 15% of my life before resists. so you spend 9 seconds out of every 10 stunned and in danger of a 20k dps aoe. It's another boss that Dk's have an exceedingly easy time with due to antimagic shell but we don't (looking at you Kael...). The trash waves up to him are extremely simple though.
Donut

Postby rodos » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info.

I don't have the time for a 45 minute queue in the evening if I want to run a heroic, so I've been doing them as Holy and it's probably my "main" spec (even though I always pootle around in Ret when I'm not in a dungeon - PoJ is too nice to stay Holy even in town).

Raid soloing is also a perk I'd forgotten - MC is easy as Ret (or was at 80), but Prot should provide a lot more options. I really need to get my vanilla and BC raid reps up if I want to single-handedly get my guild the United Nations achievement (43 down, 12 to go!). Pre-submit edit: Holy cow - seems you have to solo this achievement. It only counts reps of the person in guild with the most at exalted.
rodos

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 pm

I find solo questing pretty annoying. Most quest areas seem to be built with mobs far enough apart so that DPS don't get overwhelmed, which makes it tough to gather enough to bring our AoE abilities into play to make up the difference between prot and a DPS spec as far as time/kill goes.

I can survive pretty much anything. I have pulled tons of things in Tol Barad without issues. The groups I can get together in Deepholm don't damage me for more than my weapon enchant heals me.

For old content, prot is very nice. I finally got the Reins of the Raven Lord from Anzu after farming it for a couple of weeks. Setthek Halls is 3 pulls: All the trash up to first boss including that boss, then all the trash form there to the 2nd boss, then Anzu.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby rodos » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Koatanga wrote:I find solo questing pretty annoying. Most quest areas seem to be built with mobs far enough apart so that DPS don't get overwhelmed, which makes it tough to gather enough to bring our AoE abilities into play to make up the difference between prot and a DPS spec as far as time/kill goes.

This is my main concern. Public holiday here tomorrow, so I might take the opportunity to try it out and see how it feels. It's not like Ret is 2-shotting everything (at least at my gear level) like it was in LK, so maybe the difference in killing speed won't be so bad.

Does this look like a decent spec for dailies, soloing old content, and 5-man content at 85?
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGrhcRddRRucbM
Mostly WoG-oriented with ret subspec for quality of life (Img Judge, PoJ, big heal after kill). I just wondering if I should drop something for a point in Hallowed Ground (Vindication or raidwall maybe?).

Koatanga wrote:For old content, prot is very nice. I finally got the Reins of the Raven Lord from Anzu after farming it for a couple of weeks. Setthek Halls is 3 pulls: All the trash up to first boss including that boss, then all the trash form there to the 2nd boss, then Anzu.

At 85 you can walk past everything except the pairs of guards between rooms and the bird packs - even the first boss. Anything you fight is trivial. HMgT much the same, but you have to kill the bosses (I have Raven Lord, still farming for the white chocobo).
rodos

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:33 pm

rodos wrote:At 85 you can walk past everything except the pairs of guards between rooms and the bird packs - even the first boss. Anything you fight is trivial. HMgT much the same, but you have to kill the bosses (I have Raven Lord, still farming for the white chocobo).

I use the greens for enchanting mats to make hugely overpriced scrolls of Enchant Cloak - Stealth (8 agi, 8 dodge), which is BiS as far as I can see for the BoA cloaks. I tend to run through the packs rather than around them.

Good luck on the chocobo. I didn't get it when I was killing him for the surefooted enchant. I got it on my rogue back in the day, but it looks pretty dorky with a male night elf squatting on it. I haven't bothered getting it on any other toon.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Winkle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:48 am

Shoju wrote:Mag keeps bugging out on me and despawning

Apparently tanking him against the North wall stops him de spawning.
Winkle

Postby Rachmaninoff » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 am

Koatanga wrote:For old content, prot is very nice. I finally got the Reins of the Raven Lord from Anzu after farming it for a couple of weeks. Setthek Halls is 3 pulls: All the trash up to first boss including that boss, then all the trash form there to the 2nd boss, then Anzu.

Noob question of the day: Do you still need a druid for Anzu?
Rachmaninoff

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 am

Winkle wrote:
Shoju wrote:Mag keeps bugging out on me and despawning

Apparently tanking him against the North wall stops him de spawning.

It is something add related. Had the fight despawn once when I was just running circles around the room before he deactivated.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fudomyou » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 am

Anzu no longer requires a druid to be present. He's just sorta hanging out in Sethekk Halls.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Arees » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:17 pm

rodos wrote:I really need to get my vanilla and BC raid reps up if I want to single-handedly get my guild the United Nations achievement (43 down, 12 to go!). Pre-submit edit: Holy cow - seems you have to solo this achievement. It only counts reps of the person in guild with the most at exalted.

How do you know this is the case? If it is, it sounds like a bug to me. If not... then I guess I better get busy... only 5 to go.

Also, does anyone know if ashtongue deathsworn has been removed? I have a guildy who swears it doesn't appear anywhere in his reputation tab on any of his toons anymore and that killing things in BT doesn't award rep. There are actually several people in my guild that have told me this. However, I still have Ashtongue listed in my reputation tab (I'm only 1, maybe 2 runs away from exalted) but I haven't done a BT run since cata started...

*EDIT*

I just realized the name of this topic after I posted and that we are getting totally OT here so I'll add my $.02 about solo prot. I don't like it. Its way way to slow. I am prot/holy pvp and I don't do TB dailies unless I group up with someone. The only time I do any of the deepholm dailies is when the jc daily is elemental goo, and then I do the kill 10 worms daily since they drop it. And I'll do the motes quest while im at it. So on those days I get 3 dailies for the price of 1 done.

I leveled as ret and only switched my OS to holy after finishing all the quests in TH.
Arees

Postby yappo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:43 am

Only doing the TB dailies now as I've capped my rep.

Ride around and collect everything in sight or run to the "boss" collecting everything in sight. Burn down the swarm while popping cooldowns. The six 'optional' TB dailies take 20 minutes from getting quests to turning them in. Needless to say I find soloing as prot fantastic.
yappo

Postby Tev » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 am

Decided to go on a boss soloing spree, Mag went down no problem, couldn't do Gruul because of High King Maulgar (damn chain deathcoil). DPS was as issue for Void Reaver (down to 450k before enrage), and A'lar despawned on me in phase 2. Might get my brother on his hunter to finish the Eye and SSC.

Next plan is Khara and Zul'aman, but I don't predict any issues with those places.
Tev

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 am

Tev wrote:Decided to go on a boss soloing spree, Mag went down no problem, couldn't do Gruul because of High King Maulgar (damn chain deathcoil). DPS was as issue for Void Reaver (down to 450k before enrage), and A'lar despawned on me in phase 2. Might get my brother on his hunter to finish the Eye and SSC.

Next plan is Khara and Zul'aman, but I don't predict any issues with those places.

I've solo'd most of Kara with my 80 pally, so I don't think you'll have any troubles at 85. Biggest problems would probably be certain Opera events (BBW and the Lil' Red Riding Hood debuff for example) and I don't think Netherspite is soloable because of the beams. Friend and I 2 manned it (switched back and forth between I think the red and blue beams). Also chess might be interesting to solo. Of course, that's assuming you're going for the full run to get the gold from all the bosses.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Earantur » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:15 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Tev wrote:Decided to go on a boss soloing spree, Mag went down no problem, couldn't do Gruul because of High King Maulgar (damn chain deathcoil). DPS was as issue for Void Reaver (down to 450k before enrage), and A'lar despawned on me in phase 2. Might get my brother on his hunter to finish the Eye and SSC.

I've solo'd most of Kara with my 80 pally, so I don't think you'll have any troubles at 85. Biggest problems would probably be certain Opera events (BBW and the Lil' Red Riding Hood debuff for example) and I don't think Netherspite is soloable because of the beams. Friend and I 2 manned it (switched back and forth between I think the red and blue beams). Also chess might be interesting to solo. Of course, that's assuming you're going for the full run to get the gold from all the bosses.

Netherspite's quite easy to solo, if you tank him far back enough you get all beams. Then it's just a case of blowing cooldowns and nuking as fast as you can. Done in ~345 gear.
Earantur

Postby Rachmaninoff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:35 am

fudomyou wrote:Anzu no longer requires a druid to be present. He's just sorta hanging out in Sethekk Halls.

sweeeeeeet
Rachmaninoff

PreviousNext

Return to General