Remove Advertisements

[Warrior PvE] Casual DPS Gameplay: Arms or Fury

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Warrior PvE] Casual DPS Gameplay: Arms or Fury

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:33 pm

So I've looked at EJerks.com at their FAQ about warriors since I'm leveling my warrior as my tank. Right now I'm questing as prot since that's really all I know how to play as a warrior but I'd like to speed things up a bit by doing some more dps.

Which is generally an easier spec to quest in? I won't be raiding or doing any type of min/maxing. This is purely for ease of questing. I'm leaning towards arms because I like throwdown and the use of charge in combat but if fury is easier to play, I'm open to suggestions.
thatguy

Re: [Warrior PvE] Casual DPS Gameplay: Arms or Fury

Postby bldavis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 pm

if you can play a prot warrior, you can play an arms
arms is more proc oriented, but i think more effective
(note this is very casual and should not be used as a raid dps guide)

basically its a set of prioties
1. are you in combat?
yes: good move on to #2
no: WAT? charge something QUICK!

2. is rend up?
yes: good move on to #3
no: rend away!

3. do you have colossus smash on cd?
yes: move on and godspeed
no: play hulk and smash them in tha face!

4. is mortal strike off cd?
yes: and you havent hit it yet?
no: darn cooldowns, move on to #4

4. is overpower proc'ed?
yes: hit the shiny button
no: are you sure you have rend up?

5. is there another armor debuff? (just in case you dps in a group)
yes: enjoy relax time and smash face
no: sunderx3 is your friend

all other times
rage>75 Heroic Strike/cleave
rage<75 shout for more rage

and that is pretty much it, i havent leveled a warrior in a while, but the same principles apply
colossus smash is a nice buff, just makes it so you kill stuff faster
i have slam on my bars, but honestly its for those RARE times when i am 30-60 rage, everything is on cd, and i have an open GCD
be ready to not hit it much

edit: added links. fixt some spelling

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:23 pm

That's perfect. Thanks for the help. Now I just need a two hander. I like the proc-iness from my frost mage/prot warrior so if you think there are some procs to watch in arms, then I'm sold!

I'll keep reading on EJ to know when to use Inner Calm/WW/etc but this helps out.
thatguy

Postby bldavis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 pm

thatguy wrote:That's perfect. Thanks for the help. Now I just need a two hander. I like the proc-iness from my frost mage/prot warrior so if you think there are some procs to watch in arms, then I'm sold!

glad i could help
what level are you?

and as far as weapon, pretty much any 2hd sword mace or axe will work
just get the biggest one, with the most str and highest weapon damage, pref with slowest swing time

it will boost your rend, smash, MS, ...well pretty much everything
so just get a big weapon and beat things with it

and since you like procs (like me) then def go arms over fury, fury is almost a set rotation, its boring as hell, plus you need a crap ton more hit if you do wanna raid as fury (or even run dungeons)

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 pm

83 currently. I had to go back to Vash since I stupidly didn't train my mining to 525 while leveling in Hyjal so 84 and 85 might be a little slower.

I know there is a decent blue 2H weapon from the Deepholme quest lines so I'll be looking for that one. Arms certainly looks like fun.
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am

Oh boy. What a fun spec to play! I only had 15-20 minutes of actual play time after setting up my action bars, typing macros, setting my spec/glyphs but stuff dies very fast. I only need to pummel and throwdown once for each mob so I'm barely taking damage but the procs are fun and seeing big numbers is fun. Thanks again for the advice.

Now I just need to get rid of this crappy 2H agility mace that I have. Haha. (It was the only thing on the AH that worked.)

I think I might change my Long Charge glyph to Rapid Charge. I blast through mobs fast enough to where the reduced time might be better served to avoid "downtime".
thatguy

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 am

Mashing overpower is fun. I assume this means that I'm supposed to keep my arms warrior in Battle stance, instead of Berserker stance, despite not getting to Whirlwind.

You can also go Fury, dual wielding weapons that you'd otherwise use for tanking. Fury has a lot of self-healing. Bloodthirst gives you (effectively) a HoT every time you use it, and Blood Craze is frequently up. You get damage bonuses for interrupting casts and using Execute.

I just noticed you're 83. That means you can get most of the juicy selfhealing stuff from Fury tree as Arms. >:)
Kelaan

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 am

Kelaan wrote:Mashing overpower is fun. I assume this means that I'm supposed to keep my arms warrior in Battle stance, instead of Berserker stance, despite not getting to Whirlwind.

You can also go Fury, dual wielding weapons that you'd otherwise use for tanking. Fury has a lot of self-healing. Bloodthirst gives you (effectively) a HoT every time you use it, and Blood Craze is frequently up. You get damage bonuses for interrupting casts and using Execute.

I just noticed you're 83. That means you can get most of the juicy selfhealing stuff from Fury tree as Arms. >:)

I'll keep an eye on my health bars. I haven't been worried about it yet but maybe I will later down the road. Sudden Death procs... I laugh maniacally when that happens...

Although I stupidly took Incite over Rude Interruptions. I love interrupting. I might go respec again tonight to make it right.
thatguy

Postby bldavis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 am

rude interuption is one of my favorite talents...
being able to smash in a mobs face with my fist AND getting a damage bonus for doing it???
OH HELL YA!

bldavis

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 pm

bldavis wrote:rude interuption is one of my favorite talents...
being able to smash in a mobs face with my fist AND getting a damage bonus for doing it???
OH HELL YA!

Yeah, my thinking exactly. I must have been tired when I spec'd. Ah well.

The one thing I noticed is that I rarely had the time to put in a Slam or even a Heroic Strike betwen the procs/priorities. I don't mind this but it's much different being close to GCD locked as compared to my enh shammy where you have some dead GCDs. I'm going to have to really work on my power auras given all the items that I think I should be looking for.
thatguy

Postby bldavis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:19 pm

thatguy wrote:
OH HELL YA!

The one thing I noticed is that I rarely had the time to put in a Slam or even a Heroic Strike betwen the procs/priorities. I don't mind this but it's much different being close to GCD locked as compared to my enh shammy where you have some dead GCDs. I'm going to have to really work on my power auras given all the items that I think I should be looking for.

this is why i didnt go for incite on either my prot or my arms specs, i have too many priorities over HS that i am almost always gcd locked

bldavis

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 pm

bldavis wrote:
thatguy wrote:
OH HELL YA!

this is why i didnt go for incite on either my prot or my arms specs, i have too many priorities over HS that i am almost always gcd locked

Two things: When is the best time to use Inner Rage? During the execute phase? During heroism? Both? Neither?

I liked incite for soloing as prot and prot pvp. I still have it in my tank spec because I find that I can afford it. I'm not sold on Blood and Thunder or Thunderstruck. I find HS a decent way to burn excess rage while tanking. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though.
thatguy

Postby bldavis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 pm

wat is this inner rage you speak of?
oh that is right that ability i learned, tried a couple of times and promtly forgot about

lol you will prob never have enough rage to make IR worth it, esp not how currently implemented
if they cut the duration, or possibly the rage cost boost, then maybe it would be a great dps cd

as far as blood and thunder, great aoe tool
charge, rend, t-clap

thunderstruck, im always hitting ss or revenge so i am almost never exactly on cd with t-clap, so by the time shockwave si up, i dont have 3stack
its not a bad talent, but its not one i see stacking to full, so i use my points elsewhere (like rude interuption!) :twisted:

bldavis

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Haha. Okay, I'll have to fiddle with Inner Rage then. Maybe when I'm at 100 rage, have hysteria, have a battleshout ready and be in the middle of a heroism/execute range. :P

I don't disagree on the AoE tool. I'm just a douche bag that likes to CC as much as he can so AoE pulls become 1 or 2 mob pulls where my Revenge keeps them on me if there is some splash damage. If I start to see that I'm losing out on threat, I'll just tab, Heroic Strike once and maybe Shield Slam them to get back into the green. However, I'm not running with uber dps. Just your average PuG dps so maybe it's something I'll need when I step into the deep end of the pool.
thatguy

Postby bldavis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:50 pm

thatguy wrote:Haha. Okay, I'll have to fiddle with Inner Rage then. Maybe when I'm at 100 rage, have hysteria, have a battleshout ready and be in the middle of a heroism/execute range. :P

I don't disagree on the AoE tool. I'm just a douche bag that likes to CC as much as he can so AoE pulls become 1 or 2 mob pulls where my Revenge keeps them on me if there is some splash damage. If I start to see that I'm losing out on threat, I'll just tab, Heroic Strike once and maybe Shield Slam them to get back into the green. However, I'm not running with uber dps. Just your average PuG dps so maybe it's something I'll need when I step into the deep end of the pool.

well if you read the frustrations thread ( and success one too, double post ftw!) you would see that in my new guild, we have several AMAZING healers, so if im with them i dont even bother ccing most pulls

for those its:
Commanding Shout
Heroic Leap (mid pack, or just to the front of them if they are tightly grouped)
shield block either mid air or right before i jump (depending on twitchieness)
Rend the closest one
T-clap
shockwave
cleave
profit

bldavis

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes