[Holy]:How do I heal?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Holy]:How do I heal?

Postby Aanar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:Firstly, I pre-heal the tank with a Divine Light. This generates 1 holy Poewr, and adds a shield = 20% (based on Mastery) of total, or potentially around 7k-8k at my gear level. Then I maintain this shield using Holy Shock on CD, until pull. Thus at pull, tank has a 7k+ bubble, and I already have 3 Holy Power at the start of the fight.

This sounds like a good tip. I'll have to remember it for when I get my holy Pally going.

I do something a little similar on my holy priest. I put renew up on the tank and then I hit chakra and toss a heal on the tank to trigger Chakra:Serenity or whatever it's called. I then pop heal on the tank often enough to keep the chakra state up and the renew refreshing until they finally decide to pull. The normal heal is efficient enough that regen fills it back up.

This alows me to immediately start the greather heal spam on the tank. It's a bit strange that greater heal will refresh the renew but won't trigger the chakra state. I think this is being changed in 4.0.6 though.
Aanar

Postby Arjuna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 am

Thanx for the nice answers and posts!

I haven't raided in a bit so I forgot all about this little post I made! :)

Mannstein wrote:Arjuna,

It is hard to work like this, please give us a few more pointers...
What is the issue?
Do you get OoM often?
I usually get OoM on trash and never on bosses. stack up on the waters... run forward and drink before pulls, it's best to get the nickname of slacker or drinker that wiping because of no mana.
Are you losing constantly DPS's to AOE?
Use the beacon, keep spamimg HS+HL, even when the damage is low... Use holy radiance on cooldown.
Understand why they died... sometimes when you get that type of reputation, people blame you for not healing the one shoted dps... starting pointing out the mouth breathing dps's
TAnk is constantly dying?
Know the fights... understand when should you spam directly the tank... don't save mana, if the boss is at 10% why is you mana at 80%, etc?
And... Remember that you know better that anyone your reality...
Give us a better idea of where are you struggling...

The issue is, yes, I go oom fairly often(especially at halfus, damn that guy!), even though I'm trying to use the most mana efficient spells I got, and 2,7k combat regen...yes, I'm loosing dps to random stuff(they can't get out of those fires it seems, but when I tank the healers always seem to be able to keep the idiots alive!), I'm aware of the mechanics and have/will study all heroics/bosses beforehand...

It's just that...it all seems so damn annoying all the time since I have no experience, and experience is king! Have been tanking all through TBC/WOTLK, but I'm fairly fresh to healing (well, not that healing in wotlk was hard, just spam stuff), so I just want to soak up as much experience as I can from as many people I can! :D
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Mannstein » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 am

Arjuna wrote:Thanx for the nice answers and posts!

I haven't raided in a bit so I forgot all about this little post I made! :)

Mannstein wrote:Arjuna,

It is hard to work like this, please give us a few more pointers...Give us a better idea of where are you struggling...

The issue is, yes, I go oom fairly often(especially at halfus, damn that guy!), even though I'm trying to use the most mana efficient spells I got, and 2,7k combat regen...yes, I'm loosing dps to random stuff(they can't get out of those fires it seems, but when I tank the healers always seem to be able to keep the idiots alive!), I'm aware of the mechanics and have/will study all heroics/bosses beforehand...

It's just that...it all seems so damn annoying all the time since I have no experience, and experience is king! Have been tanking all through TBC/WOTLK, but I'm fairly fresh to healing (well, not that healing in wotlk was hard, just spam stuff), so I just want to soak up as much experience as I can from as many people I can! :D

Hum, Pointers? It's hard,i'm not a full time Holy paladin, but there is a few ideas i can throw around.... (don't take this as a Divine Wisdom)
Use all your abilities... honestly, sometimes they are underrated...
Some guys are happy on using HS+HL+FL -> WoG on 3holy power, and looking to their recount. But look at your bars and use it.
Heavy damage/stacks on the tank?
Instead of HS+DL spam, why not a hand of sacrifice on the tank?
-30% damage (especialy when the tank has -%healing) can mean you can continuo spamming a larger number of HL instead of DL. (remember you are constantly healing yourself.
OR/AND how many times are you using the AW+Divine Favor*? This can replace the DL and just keep the tank up with HL's
Judgment - Are you judging on CD? That is a buttload of mana, if used during all the fight.
Melle - Are you in melle? (Disclamer -> each boss is diferent... don't come complaining here if you followed this advice and get yourself cleaved/pounced/whatever) when possible this allows for a huge return in mana and huge efficency in AOE heal.
BoP - Doesn't work "much" on magic damage, but when you put it on a "stand on the fire, melle" it generally gets his attention to "get out of the fire"
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby Knievel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 am

Good input. Now is there a Mainhealadin website where I can find what gear to farm? Does one of you have a link for good heal talents?
Knievel

Postby Mannstein » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:37 am

Knievel wrote:Good input. Now is there a Mainhealadin website where I can find what gear to farm? Does one of you have a link for good heal talents?

Mainhealadin i don't know (banana shoulders had a good reputation) but i can send give you a link to the best forum i know it terms of discussion:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=29&t=30331&rb_v=viewtopic
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby claisa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:37 am

http://www.plusheal.com/

Good discussion forums for healing for all 4 classes and those that are nosy.
claisa

Postby Knievel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:58 am

I tried healing and now have a pretty good setup for gear, with about a 345 item level plus enchants. One of the things I noticed was when I heal for other tanks I pick up a lot of different tips.

Another thing I noticed is that there are a lot of sucky tanks out there. I haven't run into any bad paladins yet, and warriors are pretty solid, but DKs and Druids? Very low mitigation. How does somebody take a 100k hit like that? It's unreal.

BTW, gearing is easy when you are already maxed on JP and rep.
Knievel

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes