Rift

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Rift!

Postby Santcuff » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 am

So has anyone heard or even played this game yet?
It is a new MMO that is coming out on March 1st.

Just found out about it a couple of days ago, and let me say I am impressed with what I see. It looks well polished from beta reviews, plus all the class customization makes me giddy from excitement.

Anyone who has heard of this game have anything to say about it?
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Re: Rift!

Postby Invisusira » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am

See it advertised all the time on WoW sites.

Looks like every other generic fantasy MMO.
Invisusira

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 am

Kinda funny, I was just comming here to ask the same question.. I saw this review: http://www.cad-comic.com/ and checked it out. Pretty much on the strength of his review and watching a video or 2 I already pre ordered it. I'm hearing there is another beta coming soon, so I hope to get in it (lifetime beta invites if you have preordered) and check it out. Graphics look pretty sweet from what I can see.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:53 am

I will not be moved.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby bldavis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:05 pm

between wow, world of tanks (just went into open beta), LoL, SC2, and Fallen Earth
im hardlyt getting hw done as it is, i dont need ANOTHER game to play

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Punkss2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 am

Beta 5 starts tomorrow at 10am PST.
Punkss2

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:31 pm

What is this "Rift" you speak of!!

Work blocks = FTL!!
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Punkss2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Blocked for me too at work, so this is mostly from memory.
Rift is supposed to take parts of other MMOs and combine them into a nice polished product from what I have read.

2 Factions: The Defiant and The Guardians
6 Races: The Guardians: Dwarves, High Elves and Mathosian
The Defiant: Bahmi, Eth, Kelari
4 Classes: Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Rogue

Each class has multiple “callings” you can spec into. Not all of the callings have been fully released yet.

Warrior: Champion, Paladin, Paragon, Reaver, Riftblade and Warlord
Mage: Archon, Elementalist, Necromancer, Pyromancer, Stormcaller, Warlock
Cleric: Inquisitor, Justicar, Purifier, Sentinel, Shaman, Warden
Rogue: Assasin, Blade Dancer, Marksman, Nightblade, Ranger, Riftstalker

I found this snipet on the Class System:

In RIFT™, players are one of the Ascended, a Telaran slain during the great Shade War and resurrected to combat the forces of Regulos. As an Ascended, players have access to special powers, the greatest of which is "Soul Attunement", the ability to commune with, and embrace, the souls of Telara's ancient fallen heroes.
The Soul Attunement system offers players nearly endless customization. In RIFT, you’re encouraged to experiment with many combinations of souls and abilities to discover the path that’s right for you!

Souls
Players choose an Ascended Soul from one of the four callings (Warrior, Cleric, Mage, and Rogue) at character creation. These initial souls, which grow in power as they become more specialized, are flexible and have well-rounded abilities that make them great for both solo and group experiences. Players can later choose to augment, or even replace, embraced souls with other souls from within their calling. The process of enabling souls that players discover in their adventures is called Soul Attunement.
Players will also gain more specialized "Heroic Souls" that open up a number of new and exciting gameplay experiences, offering special achievements and rewards for players who discover them all.

The Soul Tree
Each attuned soul grants players access to a unique "Soul Tree," which contains all of the traits and abilities that a soul had mastered during its life. As your character levels up, you earn soul points that can be used to improve that tree's soul level, granting players access to even more powerful traits and abilities.
The Soul Tree — Branch Advancement
Players invest their soul points into the branches of the Soul Tree, picking and choosing the specific abilities and passive traits they desire. With each point spent, the Soul Tree increases in level, periodically unlocking new advancement options higher up the tree.

The Soul Tree — Root Advancement
Players automatically unlock new "root" abilities as the Soul Tree increases in level. If the branches represent the unique choices a player makes, the root represents the core power of the soul that all players have access to. Root abilities unlock quickly at first, but slow down as the tree’s soul-level increases.

Multiple Souls
As an Ascended grows in power, so does his or her ability to attune souls. Leveling a character will unlock the ability to attune additional souls. A maximum-level player will be able to attune up to three souls of their choosing!
Punkss2

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 pm

I hope it's not a big let down like Aion was :(
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Punkss2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 pm

LOL, I never played AION, nor have I played Rift yet...tomorrow will be my first experience with it, I got the client dowloaded and installed. If you can access Youtube, you can see some vids some guys have made from the other beta events.
Punkss2

Postby Arnock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Is it an open beta or one you need to get invited into?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Punkss2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm

It's by invite only, but they are giving alot away for free from what I understand.
http://www.riftgame.com/en/beta/faq.php

If you follow this link, they are releasing more: http://www.facebook.com/RIFTgame#!/note ... 1871975281
Punkss2

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Soul Tree = Talent Tree?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Shyrtandros wrote:I hope it's not a big let down like Aion was :(

The biggest reason Aion was a let down was the severe faction imbalance that only got worse as you played. With the way the levels were, a lvl 30 should NOT be able to consistently kill lvl 50s. And the fact the Elyos were practically handed a lot of stuff (check out the "holiday" events some time...) because the creator didn't really like the Asmodeans is just not a great way to base a game. There were a lot of fun aspects to it, but there was too much broken that they weren't willing to fix.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby laterna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 am

It is by beta, but in some large-ish forums, invites were handed out freely. I got mine off of OCN, from a guy giving a 25man VIP beta invite.

I will be able to play this mostly on the weekend thats due, exams finish on thursday, I'll hopefully have the new machine running by friday, download the game and play on saturday/sunday.
laterna

Next

Return to Other Games