Remove Advertisements

Spending gold on Alta... (and soul blade question)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Spending gold on Alta... (and soul blade question)

Postby halabar » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:12 pm

So, how far do you go in spending gold on gearing alts, especially those that that may never raid?

My current dilemma is Soul Blades for my DK. He'll likely never raid, but there are some pricey Soul Blades on the AH at the moment, and I am tempted...

(I am also wondering how often Soul Blades are dropping in raids? They are BiS for DW DKs (and other classes?) so I imagine the demand for them will be high for quite a while...)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: Spending gold on Alta... (and soul blade question)

Postby RedAces » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:43 pm

hey,

we're raiding 25mens since 5 weeks and had
4 soul blades
4 agi-trinkets
1 prot-shoulders
1 leather-helmet
1 Main hand of this 1h-weapon set
1 offhand axe
1 throwing weapon
5 staffs
1 melee plate boots

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 am

Depends on how much money you have. If 30k gold represents a weekend on the AH for you, sure go ahead and buy epics for your alt. If 30k is more like the most gold you've ever had at once, consider seriously if you need that money for anything else at all in the foreseeable future.

But I can't help wondering, why gear up a character for PvE if you don't intend to raid with them? If you want to use Soul Blades for PvP that's a different matter, and a question of whether it's worthwhile to buy Vicious pieces faster instead of grabbing weapons first like most.

The good raid drop epics on my server are as scarce as ever; the shoulders I bought in the first week of Cataclysm are probably more expensive now than they were then.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:34 am

Considering the most gold I've had on any one character at any time was 25k (after my friend and I had saved up to get the parts for 2 hogs, generally I'll hover between 1-5k on a high lvl char), I can't say I spend a ton on alts. For that matter... I generally don't buy gear with gold for my mains. If I (or my friends) can't craft it or it doesn't drop for me, chances are that piece just won't be upgraded for awhile. There are a couple exceptions, like when the Tankards from brewfest were <100g each, I bought a pair for my DK since he was still sporting naxx weaponry near the end of the xpac. But as a whole, I spend my gold on "frivolous" things and farm my own mats to craft my own stuff.

Now, if I were in a progression guild or something to that effect, I might consider purchasing an upgrade if need be, but I'm still not likely to ever have enough gold to drop 25k on a single weapon. Though, if that were the case, I'd probably be getting drops from the raids anyway, therefore making the need to buy those items considerably less.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:48 am

PsiVen wrote:Depends on how much money you have. If 30k gold represents a weekend on the AH for you, sure go ahead and buy epics for your alt. If 30k is more like the most gold you've ever had at once, consider seriously if you need that money for anything else at all in the foreseeable future.

You haven't seen my discussions in the AH thread, have you.. :D

That aside, my hunter (main) has over 150k sitting on him, not spending that expect on his gear. But there's also nothing to buy for him, until the next major content patch.

My DK has the proceeds from recent JC and herbing efforts, to the tune of 70kish.

The final piece. Just checked the AH again, and saw two for 25k each, while the rest were 30k+ each. So I bought them. 8) If the prices stay high, I can flip them. If the prices settle at that 25k mark, then I got my goods early. If the prices drop, which they eventually will, no big deal. Considering the prices of the other epics, and since these are weapons, once the DKs figure out how good these are for DW, I expect the prices to stay high for a while. After all, the Valor boots are going for 20k+, so a weapon for 25 is reasonable.

And as they say, you can't take it with you, especially pixel gold.. :wink:

And I don't mind buying gear for a non-raiding alt, especially BiS gear, who knows, perhaps I'll pug weekend raids with him. Getting those also gives me motivation to get him to 85. 83 now.. :D

halabar

Postby culhag » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 am

I don't see the point of buying epics for a character who'll never raid.
And for a character who will raid, you shouldn't need to buy from the AH since you'll get the same from raiding. :D
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:56 am

culhag wrote:I don't see the point of buying epics for a character who'll never raid.
And for a character who will raid, you shouldn't need to buy from the AH since you'll get the same from raiding. :D

Fair enough, but what else do you do with gold in-game?.. :D

halabar

Postby culhag » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Mounts and... watch it go up !
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Aanar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Well, several times I've dropped gold on alts and even mains and then end up not playing enough on them before the next content patch makes them obsolete. So I've trying to make my rule of thumb that I'll only buy BoE epics if the character in question has fallen behind the curve and I'm trying to catch him up enough to be able to get into a raid.

Late in WotLK I dropped several k gold on my hunter and warlock to do this but only did ICC10 three times between them. It was fun since it put a different perspective on the same old content and was worth the money.
Aanar

Postby halabar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 pm

If those swords weren't BiS pre-hard-mode, and if there were more options with good stats in that slot, I might have passed, but it's really a jump from heroic items with not perfect stats to those swords with perfect stats. It's a big difference, and there aren't crafted alternatives.

halabar

Postby Chunes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Once my priest hits 85 I plan on decking him out in the BoE goods that I can find.

Considering how we've seen about 5 of the bracers and 5 of the staffs from BoT I will probably just be able to snake one from the guild though.

:D
Chunes

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Don't forget that the valor points boots are BoE, so don't go buying a pair of them off the AH by accident.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby halabar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Pyrea wrote:Don't forget that the valor points boots are BoE, so don't go buying a pair of them off the AH by accident.

Or... don't buy a pair with Valor points since you CAN buy them off the AH, if you aren't swimming in Valor points that is.. :D

halabar

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 am

halabar wrote:
Pyrea wrote:Don't forget that the valor points boots are BoE, so don't go buying a pair of them off the AH by accident.

Or... don't buy a pair with Valor points since you CAN buy them off the AH, if you aren't swimming in Valor points that is.. :D

true :)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby halabar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 am

Pyrea wrote:
halabar wrote:

true :)

And there was a bit of a price-war in trade chat last night over those, they got down to about 15k for a pair. If JC wasn't so slow, I would have bought a pair (but that's another thread.. :-) )

halabar

Next

Return to General