Home networking question

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Home networking question

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:45 am

Dunkan wrote:What you need to do is reach into your solid-plate pocket and pull out around 30 gold. ($30).

Go to the nearest cheap ass computer shop and buy a cheap 10/100 switch. 4 ports will be fine for your needs. DLINK, LINKSYS, NETGEAR for example.

Check if the switch has an Uplink port or a button on one end that say MDIX. This is a crossover port, essentially.

If it does not have one, buy a $5 Crossover cable.

Go home

Plug your ethernet cable (or crossover cable) into your router and the other end into the switch. Hook your other peripherals into the switch.

That will work unless you have faulty cables.

Thing is, Port to Port must be crossover. Port to Host is straight through.

Gluck.

Newer routers don't need crossover cables anymore (nor dedicated uplink ports); I suspect this is a big deal, since they have a long wire running from their router to the TV area.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Dunkan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:10 pm

I still come across the lack of built in MDIX.

I doubt they are exceeding 100m for their cable length.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Dunkan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Lol, just read your last post Invis.

If you try and kludge it by having two ADSL routers plugged in, both will be trying to hand out IP addresses via DHCP. If you can, turn DHCP off under setup in the router you are using as a switch.

If you can't, stop screwing around and buy a cheap switch.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Arthuria » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 am

If you still have problems with using the router i'd suggest going out and buying a switch or one of these nifty things http://www.sourcingmap.com/ethernet-rj4 ... 31224.html, ofc it needs to be for your type of cable etc
Alerya 80 Night Elf Death Knight
Arthuria 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Arthuria

Postby Dunkan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:18 am

That type of splitter does not work with ethernet.

BTW, I use Powerline instead of wireless. http://www.dlink.com.au/category/produc ... es/?cid=10
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:59 am

Dunkan wrote:That type of splitter does not work with ethernet.

BTW, I use Powerline instead of wireless. http://www.dlink.com.au/category/produc ... es/?cid=10

I think they need to update their page, it claims you are required to have a wireless router, which is retarded. I'm assuming you just need a router, whether it's wireless or not shouldn't matter.

That said, if you have wireless, going power line doesn't generally make sense. The only use I see for something like that is if your computer didn't have a wireless NIC or your computer is too far away from the wireless source to get a reasonable signal (maybe if you cloud your wireless source to minimize radiation). It's a bit of a flashback to the X10 days.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Fridmarr wrote:It's a bit of a flashback to the X10 days.

Wow, that's a flashback reference.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Dunkan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Actually, I would not be surprised in Ethernet over Power had its roots in X10.

Either way, EoP works well where there is too much interference, you live in a brick house or whatever.

This is the actual brand I use.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/powerline

I use the 201 model.

To get it working you need two plug packs only and you can have several around the place. I have 3 installed at home. One for my gaming computer, one for my PVR/TV/NAS and one connected into my ADSL router as the head end. Works well for me.

Invis, how you getting on?
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Dorvan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:44 pm

I don't access the internet through any wired devices at home...I play both PC and XBox360 games online. Now, I won't make any claims to being some elite uber-twitch FPS gamer, but the days of "wireless=huge lag and lots of DCs" are long over, at least for me.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Dunkan wrote:Actually, I would not be surprised in Ethernet over Power had its roots in X10.

Either way, EoP works well where there is too much interference, you live in a brick house or whatever.

This is the actual brand I use.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/powerline

I use the 201 model.

To get it working you need two plug packs only and you can have several around the place. I have 3 installed at home. One for my gaming computer, one for my PVR/TV/NAS and one connected into my ADSL router as the head end. Works well for me.

Invis, how you getting on?

I have no doubt it works, at least until the vacuum turns on :). In fact I it's probably a great alternative if you want to cut on the RF radiation around the home and don't want to run wires. However, if you already have wireless, buying a few of those seems fairly counter intuitive.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dunkan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:07 pm

If it works in your environment, I hold no grudge against wireless.

I have shifted many times over the past few years, sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. The problem is usually interference from other APs around the neighbourhood (sometimes also DECT phones and microwave ovens). 802.11g gives you 3 non-overlapping channels and as it is the most common form of wireless, interference is to be expected.

802.11n is better, but not if you run it on 2.4Ghz. If you really want the gold standard, buy one of the new dual band wireless APs. e.g. the 3000 or the 4200 from here http://home.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/specs

If you hav an n-capable router that supports a/b/g/n and 2.4 AND 5 Ghz, but only has one radio you will be limited to 2.4ghz if you have any devices that connect at b/g even if you have n-devices. Otherwise just disable b/g and set for n @5ghz only. Obviously, the new dual-radio APs do not suffer from this issue.

TLDR, sometimes wireless works, sometimes it dosn't. YMMV.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Dunkan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Fridmarr wrote:I have no doubt it works, at least until the vacuum turns on :). In fact I it's probably a great alternative if you want to cut on the RF radiation around the home and don't want to run wires. However, if you already have wireless, buying a few of those seems fairly counter intuitive.

Heh, common question that, about vacuum cleaners. I personally have had no issues and the spec says it must ignore household interference.

I actually use both. I don't mind speed degradation for my wireless network, which I use to run my printers, laptops etc. I use my homeplug powerline network for gaming, media streaming (HD) and DLNA services.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Dunkan wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:I have no doubt it works, at least until the vacuum turns on :). In fact I it's probably a great alternative if you want to cut on the RF radiation around the home and don't want to run wires. However, if you already have wireless, buying a few of those seems fairly counter intuitive.

Heh, common question that, about vacuum cleaners. I personally have had no issues and the spec says it must ignore household interference.

I actually use both. I don't mind speed degradation for my wireless network, which I use to run my printers, laptops etc. I use my homeplug powerline network for gaming, media streaming (HD) and DLNA services.

Well power line has very similar interference issues to wireless, and results will vary from location to location. The speed thing is a bit of a strawman though, because both are almost certainly faster than your outbound connection which is the real throttle. In other words, there is no speed degradation going wireless from any internet source.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dunkan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:13 am

Zactly why I use wireless for general use/internet and the higher speed Powerline for HD video streaming etc.

Invis, how did you make out?
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Tenaka » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 am

Slight digression but;

Moved PC to another room this weekend. Need teh interweb, so set up modem with wireless router. Did not realise the router was on a 5v power supply and the modem a 12v so you can guess what I did......

For the first time in ages I am grateful for having to come to work. Free fast internet all day but alas no wow.
Tenaka

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum