Remove Advertisements

DC Universe Online

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

DC Universe Online

Postby cerwillis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:32 am

Has anyone tried it? I downloaded it last night, but fell asleep before it finished, so I haven't rolled a toon yet. I'm interested to hear what people's first impressions are. (if anyone has tried it)
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Re: DC Universe Online

Postby Aubade » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 am

I know my store sold out of both ps3 and PC Copies 1 day after release. Although I think that has a lot more to do with supply than popularity. Although the reviews I've heard about it (and a couple co-workers that were on the beta) Say it's awesome.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Karnadas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I've got a total of 15 hours /played (according to steam). It's pretty interesting. I'm not a huge fan of how your characters are solid (i.e. no walking through players) cuz sometimes it can be hard to access vendors, but that touch of realism is kinda nice. I had to go into it expecting an mmo-experience far different than that of wow, if I had expected something similar, I would have been very disappointed. On its own, DCUO is pretty interesting and engaging.

The combat is also a lot more fun, but I don't mind clicking my mouse 139573109875 times.
Karnadas

Postby Aanar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Interesting on the solid-characters. I guess they haven't learned that mmorpg lesson yet. Everquest had this too at first, but they got tired of complaints of griefing by players blocking tunnels, doorways, vendors, etc. and turned it off. That and with internet lag, you could lag through people anyway, so what was the point?
Aanar

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I played some during the beta and I really wanted this game to be good because I am a big DCU fan. The combat was sorta fun in that "spam a button, dodge occasionally" way. The overall world layout and questing experience really needed a lot of tightening. Overall I didn't find it intensely engrossing even though I would cheer a bit every time someone I recognized popped up in a quest. Hell right off the bat when Oracle starts talking to you through your communicator I was quite happy, but the game didn't really engage me like WoW does.

One thing that persistently bothers me about these console/PC MMOs is that they all seem to suffer from blurry UIs. I don't know why it is that WoW is the only MMO I've played where the icons and buttons look crisp and hard-edged, and really pop out of the screen, whereas when I look at FFXI and XIV, and DCUO, all the UI elements are a fuzzy mess.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Sabindeus wrote:One thing that persistently bothers me about these console/PC MMOs is that they all seem to suffer from blurry UIs. I don't know why it is that WoW is the only MMO I've played where the icons and buttons look crisp and hard-edged, and really pop out of the screen, whereas when I look at FFXI and XIV, and DCUO, all the UI elements are a fuzzy mess.

Because blizzard is smart enough to catch the part of us that react to "Oooohh Shiny" in almost ALL aspects and not just cutscenes and box covers like other games
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 pm

I've noticed the UI issue with pretty much every MMO I've seen that wasn't WoW. In fact, I've never played another multiplayer game with full script-level UI customization, which I think is highly underrated for the MMO experience. Games in general tend to accept common shortfalls which irk the crap out of me: being unable to bind F1 or CTRL, unable to rebind seemingly random things, animated sliding health that makes it hard to tell how much damage you just took, etc.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby sahiel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Aanar wrote:Interesting on the solid-characters. I guess they haven't learned that mmorpg lesson yet. Everquest had this too at first, but they got tired of complaints of griefing by players blocking tunnels, doorways, vendors, etc. and turned it off. That and with internet lag, you could lag through people anyway, so what was the point?

Interestingly, WAR made a very specific choice to go with solid characters, and for a pvp based game where assaulting castles is a large part of the end game, it works amazingly well. No dps running through a solid line of tanks to gank healers, you have actual battle lines and need to use tactics rather than the zerg rush, as you simply bounce off a couple of tanks who are blocking a doorway, allowing the casters behind them to attack from relative safety.

Back on topic DCUO got really good reviews from my friends with it, but after a few days they almost all stopped playing much, none of them are WoW players so it wasn't that they went back to that, from what they've said it seemed really fun to start but didn't do much to keep that feeling going after 10-12+ hours... hope their experience is far from the norm though as I'd love to give it a try, and it'd be a shame to see it not do well.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 pm

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying this game, at least for now. It plays more like a console game, and works very well with an xbox controller. I am running it on my 32" TV and its plays well like that. That plus vent with one guy that I play with, and its a good time. It helps to 2 man the quests, or else you may die a lot on the end bosses.

I'm playing a "batman" style character that has frost spells and an assault rifle, and im up to lvl 15. We're having a good time 2 manning everything, and they have "duo" raids at 30.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Jonlo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:05 pm

sahiel wrote:
Aanar wrote:Interesting on the solid-characters. I guess they haven't learned that mmorpg lesson yet. Everquest had this too at first, but they got tired of complaints of griefing by players blocking tunnels, doorways, vendors, etc. and turned it off. That and with internet lag, you could lag through people anyway, so what was the point?

Interestingly, WAR made a very specific choice to go with solid characters, and for a pvp based game where assaulting castles is a large part of the end game, it works amazingly well. No dps running through a solid line of tanks to gank healers, you have actual battle lines and need to use tactics rather than the zerg rush, as you simply bounce off a couple of tanks who are blocking a doorway, allowing the casters behind them to attack from relative safety.

Back on topic DCUO got really good reviews from my friends with it, but after a few days they almost all stopped playing much, none of them are WoW players so it wasn't that they went back to that, from what they've said it seemed really fun to start but didn't do much to keep that feeling going after 10-12+ hours... hope their experience is far from the norm though as I'd love to give it a try, and it'd be a shame to see it not do well.

Players are only solid in PvP combat in WAR. In PvE they clip.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 am

Jonlo wrote:Players are only solid in PvP combat in WAR. In PvE they clip.

Just imagine if WoW were to do that with BGs... would make WSG and a few others more interesting...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aanar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Jonlo wrote:Players are only solid in PvP combat in WAR. In PvE they clip.

In terms of realism, I can see solid characters being more realistic. But in many situations it makes gameplay worse. And really, what should matter most is making the gameplay as compelling as possible.

IMO characters should be solid only if you have some recourse to someone blocking a door/tunnel/vendor.

If the siuation is pvp then of course you have the option to attack. Usually you can't attack your own side though unless you're talking old-school Ultima Online. If you had an option to /push someone on your own side, that could work. Realistically, you have the option (though frowned upon) in real life. People get mad and push jerks in real life, so you need some option to try to get past them. In Everquest, you had to petition and wait for a GM to show up (if ever).

For game developers it seems like it's easier to just turn off player to player clipping. If they were cleaver about it, they'd could make the client side display your character pushing through a crowd of people without actually trying to alter each of those persons' coordinates on the server or their clients. It would give you the best of both for pve - realism and playability.

For WAR PvP, that is cool that tanks can physically guard doors from the enemy. Does that also prevent you from running past your own tanks?
Aanar

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Aanar wrote:For WAR PvP, that is cool that tanks can physically guard doors from the enemy. Does that also prevent you from running past your own tanks?

From what I remember in WAR tanks also had multiple options for pushing people around and making them sorry if they tried to do certain things. Being able to actually stand between the enemy and your ally/base/flag/whatever was a pretty big deal.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Sabindeus wrote:One thing that persistently bothers me about these console/PC MMOs is that they all seem to suffer from blurry UIs. I don't know why it is that WoW is the only MMO I've played where the icons and buttons look crisp and hard-edged, and really pop out of the screen, whereas when I look at FFXI and XIV, and DCUO, all the UI elements are a fuzzy mess.

Do you play them all at the same resolution? CRT monitors went the way of the dinosaur, and along with them dynamically adjustable resolutions. UIs and text may look fuzzy at lower resolutions because many newer monitors simply aren't meant to do that; they basically just resize the image instead of actually changing their resolution.
Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Invisusira wrote:

Do you play them all at the same resolution? CRT monitors went the way of the dinosaur, and along with them dynamically adjustable resolutions. UIs and text may look fuzzy at lower resolutions because many newer monitors simply aren't meant to do that; they basically just resize the image instead of actually changing their resolution.

No I'm not talking about LCD pixel scaling fuzziness here
Sabindeus

Next

Return to General