The dark days of Pre TBC

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Invisusira » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Tanking pre-BC?

I has a movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OwHLAuQzc

Firstest movie I evar made!

Even contains The Butcher from start to finish without ever dropping aggro!
Last edited by Invisusira on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invisusira

Postby Dragonzbane » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:57 pm

Lore wrote:Ahh, decursive... I remember those days.

Let me tell you Alliance whippersnappers that Chromaggus without Cleanse was an absolute pain in the ass.

And let me tell you Horde whippersnappers that Ouro (sp?) and Huhu without Poison Cleanse Totems were an absolute pain in the ass.
Dragonzbane

Postby Lore » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:

Let me tell you Alliance whippersnappers that Chromaggus without Cleanse was an absolute pain in the ass.

And let me tell you Horde whippersnappers that Ouro (sp?) and Huhu without Poison Cleanse Totems were an absolute pain in the ass.

And nature resistance totem!

I remember getting to that fight and going "Holy crap, a fight where Horde has it easier!"
Lore
Global Mod

Postby jere » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:02 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Initially when 1.9 came out, holy shield was bugged and wasn't generating threat. Also, the spell dmg plate gear that existed was T2, so if you weren't sporting that or a spell dmg weapon it was difficult. The deathbone set that was changed for pally tanks had MP5, but no spell dmg, IIRC.

Indeed, that is why I qualified my statement with a "once holy shield was working well". As far as spell dmg gear, you could get some if you looked around. Before I got T2, I focused on any necks/cloaks/rings/trinkets you could. Once I got some T2, I started going after tanking pieces after that. Also, at some point later (forget when) you could upgrade your lightforge set to soulforge for some spell damage. Again, the emphasis here is "yes, right after 1.9, things sucked", but I am talking about the period after they fixed some stuff and before the 2.0. It wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. Granted it wasn't as good as 1.9 IMO or as good as it is now, but I never experienced the horror that some recount.

Fridmarr wrote:Plus, to go 31 points in prot you were giving up some healing abilities, before 1.9 you could easily have holy shield, free crit heals, and soc for solo/grinding/pvp, and you could easily tank 5 mans at that point without protection. All of that combined to kill deep prot specs.

Yep, I did a hybrid holy/prot build with holy shield, Illumination, 10 minute salv (saved the last point for something else), etc. for pre 1.9.

After 1.9, I moved to a 20/31/0 build for a bit. My healing was still good, so that was never an issue, but I didn't get to do much tanking at that point due to a guild merger where we absorbed quite a few new warrior tanks. (and even a feral tank). I eventually switched to a 31/20/0 build to accomodate our raids more since I wasn't tanking much anyways, until I finally got tired of holy and moved back to a 20/31/0 and kept that till 2.0. However, I never felt that 31 prot was horrible. I still enjoyed it just fine and tanked 5 mans well. I read about a lot of people having trouble, but never really experienced it myself.
jere

Postby Dragonzbane » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Suikano wrote:The arguments over who got thunderfury were the kinds of things that caused warrior MT's to leave guilds. There were sword rogues who thought that they were deserving and insisted on getting in on the action.

Thunderfury...

THUNDERFURY...

O
M
G

The first binding that dropped was on a night that our "MT warrior" wasn't in attendence, which was odd for her because she almost never missed a raid.

So basically it went down the line by DKP and since I was Ret I passed on it and it went down to our GM who was a Hunter.

Yes, that's right...A Hunter...

I was in one of the 2 or 3 infamous guilds in all of WoW that gave a TF to a hunter.
Dragonzbane

Postby Dragonzbane » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:09 pm

Vanifae wrote:Long time horde, I enjoyed watching Paladins run at AV battle lines consecrate and then run away.

You forgot about bubbling.

I used to run in Consecrate, drop a stun bomb, then genade a couple, Bubble and Gnomish Death Ray someone...then run.
Dragonzbane

Postby Warrender » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Sabindeus wrote:It's true, every 5 minutes.

BUT!

I would like to explain why this wasn't terrible. It has to do with two addons whose behavior has since become outlawed by the UI folks (and with good reason).

Those addons are Decursive and WhisperCast

But Sabin, you might say, those addons still exist today! What are you talking about?

Yes, their names live on, but the original purpose has long since died at the will of the developers. Let me tell a story of raiding Molten Core that will illustrate.

At the beginning of each raid, as the Paladin class leader, I'd survey the paladins in the raid to see who had what talented. Then I'd post my macro which basically said in Raid chat, assignments of Blessings to Paladins in the raid. Everyone in the raid would then make a macro that said something like:
Code: Select all
/w Sabindeus Kings
/w Favre Might

Every 5 minutes, each raid member would press that macro, which would add those blessings to the WhisperCast queue of each paladin. What WhisperCast did was maintain a queue of people asking for buffs via whisper, and then cast them in order every time you pressed its button. The paladin would then be responsible for spamming his WhisperCast activation button like crazy.

But I took this one step further.

I had a macro that looked something like this:
Code: Select all
/script if(not Dcr_clean()) then WhisperCast_Cast() end;

which was bound to my Middle Mouse Button.

Dcr_clean() was the name of the function that activated Decursive. Decursive, for those who weren't around, was a single button press Cleanse the raid addon. It automatically chose a target with a debuff and cleansed it every time you pressed the button. The macro above would attempt to activate Decursive, and then if nothing needed cleansing, activate WhisperCast.

So I would just wade into melee, swinging my 2Hander with SoCom and such... and fondle my middle mouse button. Repeatedly. This guaranteed I was always doing something useful with my GCDs. Everyone got cleansed, everyone got buffed, and I did damage.

I felt like a Hybrid back then.

How things have changed...

You missed another "great" UI feature they've since outlawed: Emergency Monitor-style addons. It was possible to bind a click or button to heal the top priority target every single time. Talk about braindead healing.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Balsimar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:08 pm

I've played my paladin since launch, and boy has it changed over time.

I've always leveled protection. I recall the class synopsis saying that we were the "tanking hybrid" back in the beginning, and that's what I wanted.

I had a pretty good group of friends, so I tanked just about all of the 5-man content while leveling. We wiped, we didn't care, we were having fun.

Then raiding came along and I went holy. when compared to a warrior as a tank, it just didn't make much sense for me to stay protection spec.

Fast forward to patch 1.9 (or was it 2.0, just before TBC?). I became protection once more, and even tanked our last Onyxia raid before TBC launched! Phase 3 was a pain in the ass, but we managed... laughing all the way.

When TBC launched, I stayed protection for leveling (It really helps that I've got a pocket healer. *grins*) and haven't looked back. Finally, the paladin lives up to my expectations after 3 years. :)
Balsimar

Postby Palafix » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Invisusira wrote:Tanking pre-BC?

I has a movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OwHLAuQzc

Firstest movie I evar made!

Even contains The Butcher from start to finish without ever dropping aggro!

Man, your video makes me cry. I thought I was cool cause I was the first serious tankadin horde side on my server. I felt like a pioneer. You were tanking when Palafix was still yet a thought in my head =(. QQ, now I feel like playing a pre-bc tankadin.
Palafix

Postby Novariety » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Lore wrote:
Dragonzbane wrote:

And nature resistance totem!

I remember getting to that fight and going "Holy crap, a fight where Horde has it easier!"

I hated huhu and still tops the hated list, but had to get thru her to get to the top of the list most fun fight in C'Thun.
Novariety

Postby fafhrd » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:38 pm

oh man, thanks for reminding me of whispercast sabin, it was so awesome when pallies in the raid had that thing.

i remember much later when PI came along and rogues and hunters started whispering priests for PI so the mages didn't get it :D

chromaggus with cleanse was an absolute pain in the ass too :S awful boss. never dropped my xbow either, the jerk.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:49 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Lore wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

And let me tell you Horde shmucks that Shaman were horribly overpowered in PVP. :P

Pfft, it didn't matter until a good 6-8 months after a server went live, particularly when there weren't cross-server BG's, because every single Alliance warrior had a Bonereaver's Edge and a Paladin in his back pocket healing him, BoF'ing him, and otherwise making him invulnerable to damage.

Meanwhile I'm swinging away with my Barbarous Blade trying to get the Enhancement Shaman next to me to drop windfury and heal me.

What made shaman a pain back then was the extra ranged instacast interrupt they provided.

as an alliance hunter i didn't find adjusting to pvp against pallies all that hard, even though i'd never fought them pre-tbc. lack of frost shock was ftw. if anything shamans were more terrifying, with high mitigation, NS heals, or the overpowered shaman combustion talent with the overpowered shaman BWL trinket... oh god enfillade's chain lightnings hurt so bad.

as a lowbie rogue now though, screw pallies, screw all the level 39 blonde human male asshats with 3.3k hp and names like Smacku stunning 12 people at once, getting down to 2% hp, bubbling and getting healed by the other pally (who just finished bubbling and getting healed). Assholes.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Palafix » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:02 am

fafhrd wrote:as a lowbie rogue now though, screw pallies, screw all the level 39 blonde human male asshats with 3.3k hp and names like Smacku stunning 12 people at once, getting down to 2% hp, bubbling and getting healed by the other pally (who just finished bubbling and getting healed). Assholes.

I've got the perfect strat for taking on pallies as a rogue.

You attack them, vanish, go 20 feet away, eat up, and come back. With any luck, their shield will break after about 20 minutes of combat, and then you can pop your cooldowns and finish em off!
I say this because it happened to me once =(
Palafix

Postby dab » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:31 am

The only things we used paladins to tank are :
- Onyxia whelps
- Gluth's adds
And only if a paladin had consecration (which was a talent that was not easy to reach).

Paladins were obliged to spec heal in my guild. Many were complaning about a poor gameplay.
ImageImage
dab

Postby cdan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:51 am

I stopped playing for over a year because I got fed up with the tedium of MC cleanse-botting. Never saw a paladin tank anything in any instance or raid in over three years of playing even after 1.9. On my server it was heal or re-roll.
When I came back well after BC had launched it was because I had seen a video of someone aoe-tanking with a prot pally. I couldn't believe it was the same class.
cdan

PreviousNext

Return to General