Remove Advertisements

Hit-rating set

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Hit-rating set

Postby yappo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm wondering if a hit-rating set (basically standard tanking gear where I don't reforge away my hit-rating) is worth it for interrupt-intensive fights.

The reason for this is obviosuly 4.0.6 where I guess people will start to expect tankadins to supply their own interrupts.

As I don't raid I know squat about those encounters, but in heroics, the fights needing frequent interrupts deal very little damage apart from the killer that has to be shot.
yappo

Re: Hit-rating set

Postby Vort » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Being in a 10 man guild myself I'm working on just that.

A hit rating set that doesn't gimp my defenses too much but still allows me to off GCD interupt. If you're in a 25 man guild you shouldn't ever be the one interupting, unless you don't trust your interupters. I seem to be paranoid on that topic after our *cough cough* missed several interupts on Nef... I stopped bothering doing my rotation and helping heal my platform to focus on interupts and some heals.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby Extermi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:55 am

I would recommend looking at swapping in a hit trinket just for this fight, rather than reforging/Gemming/Enchanting with a focus on hit. A heroic mode hit trinket is easy to come by and can just be swapped in for the fights were interrupts are vital.

License to slay is nicehttp://www.wowhead.com/item=58180, I personally use Might of the Ocean http://www.wowhead.com/item=56285

Extermi
Extermi

Postby lythac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 am

Unsurprisingly the best place to pick up hit for the least loss of avoidance and sta is...

Agi based Jewelry with mastery and hit. \o/ (Oh and cloaks)

Terrath's Signet of Balance
Kaleki Cloak

These are the only two 346+ items. The ring looks to be well worth it and is obtainable by all.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Nanciboi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 am

Can rebuke be dodged/parried?
Nanciboi

Postby Digren » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Engineers should also look at a second helm, one with hit and expertise rating. Also look at bracers and gloves, because there are good hit enchants.

I wouldn't touch anything on progression gear, but a "hit-cap" gimmick set could be a good idea for interrupt-gimmick fights. Trinket, bracer, gloves, and maybe a backup neck, ring, or cloak (or an engie helm) should be more than enough to cap. Maximize the hit rating pieces for hit rating, and you'll have to wear (and carry around) as few of them as possible.
Digren

Postby Mirydon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 am

Nanciboi wrote:Can rebuke be dodged/parried?

Not when there's something to interrupt. No need to cap expertise for Rebuke.
Rune Weapon has defeated the hero of the Warmaul, Mogor! All hail Rune Weapon!
Mirydon

Postby Olen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Buy a 2nd set of these items from rep:
Signet of the Elder Council (Haste -> Hit)
Sandguard Bracers (Dodge/Exp -> Hit)
Wrap of the Great Turtle (Dodge -> Hit)
Gryphon Rider's Boots (Parry -> Hit)
Belt of the Ferocious Wolf (Crit -> Hit)

That leaves Mastery on each piece and a solid amount of stam.

I Restored my Soul Blade and Elementium Earthguard back to their original Hit and left them in my main set.
That keeps me at full 359 and over 6.5% Hit, got a bit of time still before 4.06 to find a couple more pieces to swap.
Olen

Postby Jaitee » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 am

Mirydon wrote:
Nanciboi wrote:Can rebuke be dodged/parried?

Not when there's something to interrupt. No need to cap expertise for Rebuke.

to explain this much like you mobs cant dodge/parry while casting so no need to expertise cap as the only time u need an interrupt is when the boss cant dodge/parry
Jaitee

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 am

My hit rating set consists mostly of two +hit trinkets.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 am

inthedrops wrote:My hit rating set consists mostly of two +hit trinkets.

Just out of interest, which two? I picked up one from Stonecore with an agility proc effect that seemed nice.
econ21

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:16 am

Hit Food, Hit Elixir, 2x Hit Valor Trinkets (Fluid Death and License to Slay) puts you at or very nearly hit cap.

The best place to pick up hit rating (apart from agi gear) is actually hit elixir, since tank flask is terribly itemized and is worth less in stat value than a single elixir.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:41 am

Hit capping gives us an excuse to bring out our best 346 threat weapon - cookie's tenderiser. And slap on a pyrium weapon chain (excellent for pvp).

The Umbris band is great for hit rating - IIRC, it has significantly more mastery than the agility one. (The Red Rock ring is similar with regard to expertise).

The JP legs and BS shield also have a healthy amount of hit.

As a pre-raid tank, I find equipping these items (and not reforging hit) has an almost negligible cost over the alternatives. They are close to the best available. The main cost to me is sacrificing a mastery trinket for a hit one.
econ21

Postby yappo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 am

econ21 wrote:Hit capping gives us an excuse to bring out our best 346 threat weapon - cookie's tenderiser. And slap on a pyrium weapon chain (excellent for pvp).

The Umbris band is great for hit rating - IIRC, it has significantly more mastery than the agility one. (The Red Rock ring is similar with regard to expertise).

The JP legs and BS shield also have a healthy amount of hit.

As a pre-raid tank, I find equipping these items (and not reforging hit) has an almost negligible cost over the alternatives. They are close to the best available. The main cost to me is sacrificing a mastery trinket for a hit one.

To begin with you're about as 'pre-raid' as I am. You're what, 352? I'm 354. Lack of people to raid with, not gear, makes us pre-raid.

I shopped a BoE chest with hit-rating instead of expertise (ie the crafted chest has expertise), because it came with two yellow gem slots allowing me to slap on 80 mastery while still getting myself the hit-capped set I wanted for those occasional bosses. Iceborne Hauberk or something like that. Most likely regarded as a piece of junk for tanks.

Once gain I want to give a pointer to how good it is to shop extra copies of reputation gear as you can mess them up without regard to how they'll fit into other sets.
To a large degree this is true for JP gear as well, even though the risk here is that you have exactly ONE ilevel 359 piece dropped covering that slot, which forces you to run a downgrade to do a specific task.
yappo

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice