Petrus' Cataclysm Master Gear List

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Petrus' Cataclysm Gear List

Postby valura » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 am

Hey Peter,

First of all, thanks for a great list. It helped me out quite a lot so far.

I know you are reluctant to include DPS gear to lessen the possible confusion and keep the list short, however I would like to point you to [Belt of the Ferocious Wolf] as a valid alternative to [Hardened Elementium Girdle].

The basic stats are somewhat the same (only -20 STR), and mastery is exactly the same. The only differences are a blue gem slot, and 169 DR vs 149 CRS. From personal experience, I can say that I have been reforging DR to gain mastery, and am currently into increasing my Expertise (something many will be doing, since there's not that much pre-raid tankgear with Experience around). After reforging from CRS to Exp (or whatever you prioritize), the blue slot can easily be filled with a Mastery/Stamina gem or even pure STAM, while the prismatic socket (from the buckle) can easily be filled with additional STAM, Expertise, Mastery or whatever suits your fance, heck if you put anything blue in the already present socket, you even reduce the missing strength to -10 instead of -20, while the crafted tanking belt has no bonusses whatsoever...

Just thought it might not be such a bad idea to suggest at 60ish gold alternative to the 3k+ crafted belt...
In tribute to the original Paladin, Charles the Hammer Martel (° 688 - † 22 oct 741).
Bohica (90) BM
Kul Tiras >>> Valura (90) Prot | Hashishin (90) Combat | Arishem (90) Blood | Maurgane (90) Frost | Bova (90) Bear |
| Zannah (90) Resto | Farmingbull (76) Resto | Shoju (51) WW | Wærloga (63) Destro | Dejiko (50) Prot |
Draenor >>> Kenesha (90) Resto | Qedesha (80) Disc | Lanthlasa (52) BM | Xiaohongquan (78) WW |

Jebus what a soul crushing procession of Failures, Septic Tanks, Oxygen thieves and Utter Utter retards. - masterpooba
valura
Maintankadonor

Location: outer ring of the 7th circle of Hell (aka Kul Tiras EU - Horde side)

Postby OSDeath » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 pm

First, thanks so much for the work you've done on this list. I used your last list almost all the way through LK and am so grateful to see another one being made.

My question is why do you put the crafted trinkets in a separate slot than mixing them into the lists for avoidance/stam/threat. I'm curious as to how they stack up against the other trinkets that we'll be seeing and if it's worth having the trinkets made.

Thanks again for the time and effort you've put into this. It is greatly appreciated.
-Prot of Korgath
OSDeath

Postby Awyndel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 am

Awyndel

Postby Cheekyazz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Awesome, I know what I am doing tonight and on the weekend, well apart from maxxing my BS and JC, JC for the ring as I have the BS Gear already, i will be using this guid to gear my tank just that little bit more.

Your a champ :P
Cheekyazz

Postby Petrus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:02 am

Updated
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Re: Petrus' Cataclysm Master Gear List

Postby Dunkan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 am

Just a suggestion, but how about merging the profession trinkets with the other trinkets?

Stuck out there like that makes it difficult to compare.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Fayia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:36 am

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/l ... eil/simple

Seems Paragon discovered a tanking sword that is not on the list...the Fang of Twilight?
Fayia

Postby Throb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:21 am

Fayia wrote:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/lazeil/simple

Seems Paragon discovered a tanking sword that is not on the list...the Fang of Twilight?

It drops off of Valonia and is an Agi/Crit/Mastery sword. So, it's a tanking sword in the same regard that Belt of the Ferocious Wolf is a tanking belt. It's good if you don't have anything better.
Throb

Postby Siral » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:05 am

A question about Ironstar's Impenetrable Cover (not the heroic one).

For which tanking class is better than the reputation one? Not for sure for paladin (dodge/mastery >>>> dodge/parry)
Siral

Postby econ21 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:44 am

Throb wrote:
Fayia wrote:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/lazeil/simple

It drops off of Valonia and is an Agi/Crit/Mastery sword. So, it's a tanking sword in the same regard that Belt of the Ferocious Wolf is a tanking belt. It's good if you don't have anything better.

Not quite - the agility makes it good for survival (whereas the belt is a strength item). It's more comparable to the Earthen ring reputation ring and the Don Flamingo's neck - something that is not intended for tanking, but may be better than comparable items that are intended for tanking. You are trading off some threat for some survivability. Compare it to the Mace of Acrid Death - that gives you 118 parry; but this sword gives you about 143 dodge (0.6*165 dodge from its agility and 44 dodge from reforging the crit).

I don't quite understand the prejudice against agility for tanks. It's like disdaining the WW2 88mm gun as an anti-tank weapon just because it was designed to shoot down planes, not tanks.
econ21

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am

If anything, this board was NOT prejudiced against agility at all for tanks. Most of us used agility/stam gems and agility enchants in Wrath. That being said, I don't know the current math, but it doesn't seem people are as gungho about agility in Cataclysm as they were before.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Earantur » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Have you specifically avoided putting green gear on the list? There's a crafted belt(http://www.wowhead.com/item=55027) and quest reward belt(http://www.wowhead.com/item=63868) that both seem to me to be better than the starter zone blues on the list.
Earantur

Postby econ21 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:21 am

econ21 wrote: ...the Fang of Twilight ... Compare it to the Mace of Acrid Death - that gives you 118 parry; but this sword gives you about 143 dodge (0.6*165 dodge from its agility and 44 dodge from reforging the crit).

Um, I realise I have forgotten the contribution of strength to parry from the Mace (0.25*165=41). That makes the mace better for survival. So the tanking weapon is better, but it is close (159 parry vs 143 dodge).
econ21

Postby lythac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 am

Nikachelle wrote:If anything, this board was NOT prejudiced against agility at all for tanks. Most of us used agility/stam gems and agility enchants in Wrath. That being said, I don't know the current math, but it doesn't seem people are as gungho about agility in Cataclysm as they were before.

It was the removal of agility providing armor, and str proving parry that killed it off mostly. In Cata there aren't any agility enchants/gems that are BiS and it is not a reforgable stat. So the only place to pick it up is on jewelry and it has to have mastery on to make it an option. And there are always str alternatives for the slot.

Agility is still teh sex.

Also we can't praise it too much as a lot of inexperienced paladins might start going for some weird items just because they have agility on them due to hearing agility provides more than twice the avoidance of str.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby aureon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Why aren't the WotLK armor trinket present?
The petrified twilight scale off Halion is surely better than Bedrock talisman, and by a pretty wide margin.
Unidentifiable Organ seems VERY good, too.
aureon

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice