Remove Advertisements

International Travel Destinations

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: International Travel Destinations

Postby Levantine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Fairly sure you can ask that to anyone about their home country and they'll say the same thing.
Levantine

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Levantine wrote:Fairly sure you can ask that to anyone about their home country and they'll say the same thing.

^
Although I can understand why someone would visit America (however I have no idea why anyone would come to Jersey)
Lightbeard

Postby Darielle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:04 am

New Zealand is a pretty cool place, particularly if you have a couple of weeks. There's a lot of things that can be done beyond the obvious touristy stuff, especially if you know someone (like me) who lives there and knows the place and ask them questions to help you plan.
Darielle

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 am

I second New Zealand, particularly the south island.

Depends what you like, really. If you like the outdoors, it's hard to beat NZ. If you like old stuff, Europe is pretty awesome. If you want an adventure, Africa could be interesting (as in the Irish curse "may you live in interesting times").
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Brekkie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:17 am

I'm curious about New Zealand, the extent of my knowledge is that Lord of the Rings was filmed there.
How's the climate like? What activities would you recommend?
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

Lightbeard wrote:Although I can understand why someone would visit America (however I have no idea why anyone would come to Jersey)

Atlantic City and the Boardwalk spring to mind. Not to mention you can get to PA, NY, most of the rest of New England fairly easily... though none of that qualifies as Mediterranean (at least not the last time I checked.)

Wish I could comment on the original topic, but since my own world travels have been limited, I don't really know what I could add... though Edinburgh in Jan of last year was gorgeous with all the snow.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:53 am

Levantine wrote:Fairly sure you can ask that to anyone about their home country and they'll say the same thing.

Yes and no. I wouldn't tell any tourists to come to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal (unless it was winter in MTL) because while it's fun, it's really not that different from most North American cities.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 am

Thailand or Vietnam.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Mcduffie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:02 am

Vanifae wrote:Thailand or Vietnam.

Hahaha, oh Vanifae.
Mcduffie

Postby Rachmaninoff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:15 am

Nikachelle wrote:Yes and no. I wouldn't tell any tourists to come to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal (unless it was winter in MTL) because while it's fun, it's really not that different from most North American cities.

when I was 20, me and the fiancée (we've been together for a while) went to burlington, VT in march. we don't ski and we couldn't go to the brewery's cause we were under 21. so we started to drive. ended up in MTL to get pizza and beer. I agree for the most part it was similar to boston and some parts of nyc. but when we asked to get to the hwy or interstate they had no idea what we were talking about. we got searched at the boarder and they found nothing of course. and this was when you only needed a drivers licence to cross the boarder
Rachmaninoff

Postby Euphoria » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am

I'll third (or fourth) going to Edinburgh, it's a gorgeous town. If you head a little further south York is also a blast. It's a smaller place but there's plenty to do for a few days, not sure how it'd stand up after a few weeks.

I'm doing a two week trip to Trinidad this year for Carnival that you might consider. Supposedly it's awesome, I just wanted to get away from the cold for a while.
Euphoria

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 am

Rachmaninoff wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Yes and no. I wouldn't tell any tourists to come to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal (unless it was winter in MTL) because while it's fun, it's really not that different from most North American cities.

when I was 20, me and the fiancée (we've been together for a while) went to burlington, VT in march. we don't ski and we couldn't go to the brewery's cause we were under 21. so we started to drive. ended up in MTL to get pizza and beer. I agree for the most part it was similar to boston and some parts of nyc. but when we asked to get to the hwy or interstate they had no idea what we were talking about. we got searched at the boarder and they found nothing of course. and this was when you only needed a drivers licence to cross the boarder

Okay so, moral of the story, if you're too young to drink in the States, come to Quebec if you're 18, and Ontario if you're 19. :roll:
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Brekkie wrote:I'm curious about New Zealand, the extent of my knowledge is that Lord of the Rings was filmed there.
How's the climate like? What activities would you recommend?

Depending where you are in the country, winters get down to about -10c, summers get up to about 30c.

There are no creatures in the wilderness that are dangerous to man apart from the odd wild boar (introduced by the English), so New Zealand is a great place for hiking. The Milford Track is considered one of the best walks in the workd (32 miles over 4 days). Milford sound is stunningly beautiful if you like natural scenery.

Queenstown is a very popular tourist destination, with lots of adventure activities in the summer and good skiing in the winter.

Activities include bungee jumping, fly-by-wire, jet boating, whitewater rafting, blackwater rafting (rafting through caves) and zorbing. There are geothermal regions you can visit if you like the smell of sulfur and want to see geysers and such.

Or you can chill out and do some wine tasting, hot air ballooning, golf, fishing...

Most of the Things To Do in New Zealand revolve around its natural resources. There is only one amusement park, and it's really not worth going to. Cities are OK. I like Auckland but it lacks the identity of San Francisco or Paris or such. Wellington is a heck of a lot of fun, particularly when there's a rugby match on. People leave the stadium and walk over to Courtney Place, which is a few blocks where the streets close and people wander around the restaurants and pubs - it's a real party atmosphere.

It's a very western country with all the modern comforts, little crime, and no hostility, so your trip won't be sullied by some faction attaking some other faction. I think the last time a bomb went off in NZ it was the French blowing up the Rainbow Warrior (Greenpeace ship) back in 1985.

In general, the people are friendly and polite. They like their rugby and drinking. You don't have to tip anyone.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby duruk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Koatanga wrote:Or you can chill out and do some wine tasting, hot air ballooning, golf, fishing...

Is NZ wine anything like Australian wine? With a bouqet like an aboriginees armpit and a kick like a mule?

Douglas Adams described New Zealand as Norway scrounged up a bit and all the moose shaken out.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:38 pm

duruk wrote:
Koatanga wrote:Or you can chill out and do some wine tasting, hot air ballooning, golf, fishing...

Is NZ wine anything like Australian wine? With a bouqet like an aboriginees armpit and a kick like a mule?

D: I really like Australian wine. In Canada it's considered very good. (Then again, if you've tasted Canadian wine, you'd think that piss tasted better.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum