4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.0.3a Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Devteck » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 am

Digren wrote:
Devteck wrote:Not sure if this has been said or not but with a quick search through the thread I dont see this item discussed anywhere else.

Heaving Plates of Protection you have listed as BiS for both Normal and Heroic Raider but these shoulders Heroic version do not exist in game. So would this basically make the T11 Heroic Piece BiS? Its really the only other option as I do not see many guilds handing their tanks a Heroic DPS Shoulder off Halfus first.

Oops, that's my mistake. I'm purging the non-existent BoE heroics from my list as I update my recommendations, and I missed that one. I just removed it now.

That leaves [Pauldrons of the Apocalypse] as best in slot, but it's really close between those and [Reinforced Sapphirium Shoulderguards]. It almost just comes down to the poorer color of the shoulder's gem socket. I don't consider the tier bonus in my calculations; if you plan to seek the four-piece bonus, definitely take the tier shoulders over the tier helm.

Edit: Hang on. Do the heroic [Pauldrons of the Apocalypse] not exist either? Hell.

Petrus and Vexryn both still list the heroic PotA, but both also list the heroic HPoP. Can someone in heroics better explain which, if either, of these pieces are available?

The Heaving Plates of Protection wont exist because there is no "heroic" trash to be killed. the [Pauldrons of the Apocalypse] do exists because they are off a boss (Nefarion) its only the Heroic Trash BOE kind of like the Trash Heroic BOE in the 5man Dungeons they are non existent.

Seeing as how the 4pc would be nice for tanking and the Gem socket on both of them are the same (15 stamina i wont consider game breaking) i would say be best to pick up the T11 Heroic shoulders over the [Pauldrons of the Apocalypse] and socket w.e. gem on it and have a nice 4pc bonus.
Devteck

Postby Digren » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 am

The way my raid works, I can pick up DPS items if I need them no problem, but it's difficult for me to get four tier tokens, so I rarely get four-piece bonuses. Different system, different benefits and flaws.

But yeah, the difference from 1 to 2 is minimal. The four-piece bonus certainly tips it in favor of the tier piece.
Digren

Postby Doughman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Dirgren, got a question for ya. Why the Don Rodrigo's Fabulous Necklace? Seems to be more of a dps neck then anything.
I get the mastery and reforging on it, but seems like there might be easier ways to get those stats out there.
Looking at some of the other BiS lists on this same forum, they don't even list the neck anywhere in there.

Just curious,
Dough
The yeast we can do is knead one another!
Doughman

Postby Digren » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Doughman wrote:Dirgren, got a question for ya. Why the Don Rodrigo's Fabulous Necklace? Seems to be more of a dps neck then anything.
I get the mastery and reforging on it, but seems like there might be easier ways to get those stats out there.
Looking at some of the other BiS lists on this same forum, they don't even list the neck anywhere in there.

Just curious,
Dough

Well, it has more mastery than is possible with any other necklace, including BiS heroic Ironstar Amulet. Then its inherent agility provides 60.9% of the dodge of dodge rating, something that the heroic Rage of Ages and regular Ironstar Amulet just can't match. It doesn't have the most stamina, but it's close.

My ratings are as follows:
Code: Select all
Item                  Sta Value   Mastery Value  Avoidance Value  Weighted Total
Ironstar Amulet (H)   322         44             256              474
Don Rod's             286         145            154              468
Neck of Strife        286         127            167              461
Rage of Ages (H)      322         143            111              457
Ironstar Amulet       286         38             226              419

I consider anything within 5 points on my weighted total line to be equal; as you can see there are gaps between numbers 1, 2, and 3, but those gaps are still very small. And yet, of these items, one of them can be acquired significantly before raiding, and it's one of the best on the list. That makes it a great item to invest money on, because you'll use it far into raiding. Hence, best in slot for non-heroic, AND well worth the money.

I dunno why it's not on other folks' lists, though I know I'm missing a few pieces that they list as well.
Digren

Postby johninnewport » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 am

What about this:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=60415/vicio ... caled-helm

Seems like an upgrade over the JP helm and with reforging its competitive with other purples.
I didnt see any other conquest point items that were this close. Thoughts?
johninnewport

Postby econ21 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:51 am

johninnewport wrote:...with reforging its competitive with other purples.

You can't reforge resilience.
econ21

Postby Digren » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 am

I don't plan to include any resilience items on my list, but just for grins I put that one in my spreadsheet to see where it ranked. It fell just between the non-heroic Helm of the Proud and non-heroic Helm of Easeful Death - i.e. near the top end of the iLvl 346 helms, but 9th overall. If you PVP and have access to that set, you can probably run heroics or start into raids, but it's no where near as good as any raid drop (nor as good as the engineering helm).
Digren

Postby Magnilda » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 am

Just thought I'd say thanks for compiling this list, managed to get myself up to ilevel 333 just two days after reaching 85. Ran my first heroic (Deadmines) last night as well and nailed it, no wipes and I wasn't too hard to keep alive.

Thanks Digren.
Magnilda

Postby Øtep » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Would it be possible to get some stats/opinions for [Buc-Zakai Choker]?

It seems to fit the mastery/reforge of some other neck pieces (e.g. [Necklace of Strife])

Cheers

Øtep
Øtep

Postby yappo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:46 am

Øtep wrote:Would it be possible to get some stats/opinions for [Buc-Zakai Choker]?

It seems to fit the mastery/reforge of some other neck pieces (e.g. [Necklace of Strife])

Cheers

Øtep

Well, the difference is 190 strength versus 190 agility. From a survivability point of view, the former is 47 parry-rating and the latter 120 dodge rating. While 70:ish avoidance-rating won't make or break your gear, it all stacks up.
yappo

Postby Gaxby » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:08 am

Digren, you seem to have forgotten one of the best pre-raid exalted rep ring from Earthen Ring: Signet of the Elder Council.
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Postby Digren » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:23 am

Øtep wrote:Would it be possible to get some stats/opinions for [Buc-Zakai Choker]?

Cheers

Øtep

It's itemization is very poor, making it one of the worst iLvl 359 neck options. It's about as good as most of the best iLvl 346 pieces, including the easily-attainable Acorn of the Daughter Tree and the points-buyable Lustrous Eye.

If you got one, sell it.
Digren

Postby Vardis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 am

I wonder if you have checked out the Signet of The Elder Council from Earthen Ring reputation. It has more stam than Ring of Three Lights and Felsen's Ring of Resolve and nets about .4% of a mitigation increase as well as a slight crit chance increase.
Vardis

Postby Grae » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Vardis wrote:I wonder if you have checked out the Signet of The Elder Council from Earthen Ring reputation. It has more stam than Ring of Three Lights and Felsen's Ring of Resolve and nets about .4% of a mitigation increase as well as a slight crit chance increase.

You should check out the "Vash 359 Ring" post in this sub-forum. Link below:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=30725&rb_v=viewtopic
Grae

Postby mclem » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 am

If you apply the same basic philosophy to weapons, wouldn't that mean that the Fang of Twilight - although it's only down as "Mixed survivability/threat" - actually ends up as a better survivability choice than the 'straight survivability' Mace of Acrid Death? (On the other hand, the mace is a mace, and I am a dwarf, so I'm wondering if in turn, the Mace of Acrid Death might be a better threat piece than the sword!)
mclem

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice