Race Change Question

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Race Change Question

Postby Arees » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm considering changing to dwarf now that stoneskin is becoming more useful. Not really because of that though... I really dislike pally gear on my draenei, and im tired of being freakin huge and not fitting through small doorways when I have heroism. Anyway, I have a few questions. And yes, I had read the FAQ and my main concern isn't answered on it.

I thought that race changing reset your standing with the Argent Tournament? Is this not the case anymore? I could just be wrong about this though. If it does reset, does it effect your rep with them (I forget what that stupid rep was called, and I dont see it listed on the armory, but the one that lets you get the crusader title).

Also a question about mounts... I saw the conversion table, but if I have all the racial mounts already will my current mounts just stay unchanged? In other words, if X -> Y and I already have Y will I still have both after the race change? It's not explicitly stated, and I would assume you would, but I don't like to ever assume anything.

Those are the only 2 questions I have. If anybody else knows of ways a race change can effect your toon other than what the FAQ says, then I would appreciate the info. I'm mainly concerned about reputations and achievements. I know that quest items are deleted and I'm ok with that. I assume that means my furbolg rod will disappear, but I hope not and if it does then oh well.

*edit*
My mounts are also tired of my big fat butt squishing them to death... seriously though, I look ridiculous on all of them just about. If I change to dwarf I might use a mount other than my brewfest kodo.
Image
User avatar
Arees
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Sànguinius » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:11 pm

It's the faction change that resets your Argent Tournament Dailies. My little ol' blood Elf pally was originally a human paladin for two years, then I went squid around 3.2, and in the latter few months of wrath to now I went Blood Elf. When I went from human to squid my argent tournament stuff was untouched.

As for the mount conversation I think the only mount that would be affected would be your paladin mount (In your case the Exarch Elekk (sp?) will be converted into a Charger.

Honestly changing races doesn't have that much affect on your mounts and achievements. It's when you change factions that things get crazy.


(I had to do the Argent Tournament stuff twice T_T )
"The man who knows why, will always be better than the man who knows how."
User avatar
Sànguinius
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:53 am

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Arees » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Sànguinius wrote:It's the faction change that resets your Argent Tournament Dailies.


Oh good... that's what I was most worried about actually because I reaaaaaly don't want to do them again. I still gotta do them to get the last 2 mounts and starting back at the beginning would be horrible.

*edit*
actually, my biggest concern is the $25 is cost. Theres no way it costs blizzard even remotely close to that amount to change the information in their database. And its all automated. One of their programmers wrote some script to change the race and loop through all the mounts and convert them to the other factions mount, and then to flip-flop the faction values for the 2 races. I've written little scripts like that to change customer information at my last job.
Image
User avatar
Arees
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:36 pm

While that may be the case... people still pay it, and Blizz just continues to capitalize on it.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Worldie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:20 am

Sànguinius wrote:
(I had to do the Argent Tournament stuff twice T_T )

Actually it doesnt reset them, simply Alliance and Horde questlines are separated and not shared. If you transfer to the other faction and then transfer back, you get your title and stuff done back. I know this cause i went Horde -> ally -> horde -> ally
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13458
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:36 am

Worldie wrote:
Sànguinius wrote:
(I had to do the Argent Tournament stuff twice T_T )

Actually it doesnt reset them, simply Alliance and Horde questlines are separated and not shared. If you transfer to the other faction and then transfer back, you get your title and stuff done back. I know this cause i went Horde -> ally -> horde -> ally


Hm... now if I only had a reason to switch my pally back to ally...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Arees » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Skye1013 wrote:While that may be the case... people still pay it, and Blizz just continues to capitalize on it.


lol... this is true, and I'm likely to be one of those people soon.
Image
User avatar
Arees
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Arees wrote:actually, my biggest concern is the $25 is cost. Theres no way it costs blizzard even remotely close to that amount to change the information in their database. And its all automated. One of their programmers wrote some script to change the race and loop through all the mounts and convert them to the other factions mount, and then to flip-flop the faction values for the 2 races. I've written little scripts like that to change customer information at my last job.


The price for an item has little to do with the cost of producing that item. A good or service is worth what the people buying it are willing to pay for it. To sell it for any less is just to give people money.

I know of a certain item that sells for around 8-9 silver, depending on your faction standing, that sells on AH for up to 3g. I could sell it for less, even down to barely over cost, and still make a profit. But why would I when people are willing to pay 3g?

Same thing applies here. Why would Bliz sell race change for less than what people are willing to pay?

People frequently operate under the assumption that the seller sets the price for an item. This is very rarely true. The buyer sets the price for an item depending upon what he is willing to pay for it.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: Race Change Question

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:02 pm

The buyer sets the price for an item depending upon what he is willing to pay for it.


While this is true for an open market with competition, there is no competition in wow.
Its either Blizzard, Blizzard or Blizz.

The $25 race change cost is just based on what blizzard marketing guru's percieve as the value. A balance between player demand for the service Vs what they can get away with before a disproportionate number of players considering a change think "$xxx for a race change?!?! Bugger that!" ($xxx = unreasonable figure).
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:14 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Teranoid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:03 pm

The best part is when consumers complain about the cost and think they have even an inkling of what is involved and then still pay for it anyway.

If you don't agree with the cost then why do it to begin with?
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 am

One thing to note with race changes when I went from a human rogue to a worgen rogue my Stormwind rep was set to neutral and my Gilneas rep was set to exalted. So she is a Crusader with no Stormwind rep to speak of now.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Xylaria » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Hm... now if I only had a reason to switch my pally back to ally...


Because that rhymes?
Xylaria
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:32 am

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Arees » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Xylaria wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:
Hm... now if I only had a reason to switch my pally back to ally...


Because that rhymes?


Pall EE

Ahhh LIE

they dont really rhyme unless you say ally as in a bowling ally...
Image
User avatar
Arees
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Karnadas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:23 am

Arees, this is totally unrelated but your avatar of the joker was exactly in sync with the clapping in this song I'm listening to. It's really, really odd. lol.

And also, if you're mid-quest in some zone you should make sure you know where your quests come from, because race changing erases your quests, too. Not sure if it's too late though, I should probably read the rest of the thread.
Karnadas
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Re: Race Change Question

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:22 am

Arees wrote:
Xylaria wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:
Hm... now if I only had a reason to switch my pally back to ally...


Because that rhymes?


Pall EE

Ahhh LIE

they dont really rhyme unless you say ally as in a bowling ally...


I believe that particular usage is spelt alley, but I concur with the above statement.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest