Remove Advertisements

Cata grinding spots

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby rodos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 pm

pyrile wrote:So was cruisin around in Uldum, on the giant stair case northern tip of map (the one for the daily} I cant do it myself yet since they are elites but they do drop loots.

Hmm. Is the daily phased or instanced in any way? I know you share mobs with other people on the daily.

If the daily takes place in the "real world", would you not be able to agro and tag a whole group, hold them in place, and have a grouped accomplice on the daily take them out with the catapult?
User avatar
rodos
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby pyrile » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm

rodos wrote:Hmm. Is the daily phased or instanced in any way? I know you share mobs with other people on the daily.If the daily takes place in the "real world", would you not be able to agro and tag a whole group, hold them in place, and have a grouped accomplice on the daily take them out with the catapult?


No the daily itself is phased and there is no interaction available from the catapults you would need to kill em your self, I tried and was beaten to a pixeled pile of mush.

On a second note I have come to the conclusion for grinding tabbard rep regular grim batol is the place, you can weaken the trash with the drakes and still get credit and loot from the mobs which is 10-11 rep per kill.
pyrile
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:04 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Discus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:15 am

Those were the days.. a frost mage and I on my pally would battle back and forth there, and drag the elite into each other's AOE. That was fun.


Now that WAS a grinding spot and one this site put me onto. If there were no raids happening in guild I'd farm that spot until the trash dropped either a blue boe or an epic. Because of the sheer number of kills this was usually <1 hour. I’d then be the best geared player in our raids from hours of grinding/crafting epics. This is now considered unfair.

I’ve whined about it before, but I think it’s very relevant given the shortage of tanks the game is suffering from now. Whilst I understand the levelling the playing field logic in eliminating grinding spots like this from the game, tanking is hard work and often a thankless task. If it gives us no advantage such as AOE grinding then many people think why bother? Hence we now have a tank shortage.
Discus
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 am

Discus wrote:I’ve whined about it before, but I think it’s very relevant given the shortage of tanks the game is suffering from now. Whilst I understand the levelling the playing field logic in eliminating grinding spots like this from the game, tanking is hard work and often a thankless task. If it gives us no advantage such as AOE grinding then many people think why bother? Hence we now have a tank shortage.


There's a few logical leaps in there I don't follow.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby halabar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:55 am

Flex wrote:
Discus wrote:I’ve whined about it before, but I think it’s very relevant given the shortage of tanks the game is suffering from now. Whilst I understand the levelling the playing field logic in eliminating grinding spots like this from the game, tanking is hard work and often a thankless task. If it gives us no advantage such as AOE grinding then many people think why bother? Hence we now have a tank shortage.


There's a few logical leaps in there I don't follow.


Well, I agree with him, including the leaps. :D

With my pally optimized for raiding (JC/BS) it left me little to do outside of raids when sitting around, no more AOE farming to do, couldn't do any gathering, so you go work on alts, which gradually become your mains. The remove of AOE farming removed a source of income, a source of BOP items, and just plain interest in the toons (and some practice with the toon as well).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9376
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby alayire » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 am

halabar wrote:
Njall wrote:
Discus wrote:I found that cave last night questing in TH. There's certainly lots of nodes but unfortunately the name "Elementium Depths" attracts the idiot miners. In my case players who'd wait for you to start fighting mobs by each node and then nip in and mine your node whilst you are in aggro. On my server mining certainly seems to have become the gathering profession of choice in Cata, everyone's at it.



If you are playing a pally, hit bubble. With luck, the mobs will agro the miner - mining has a big aggro radius. :D



Uggh.. I tried that cave last night. Never, never, never again. 2 or so rogues waiting around for you to clear the mobs, and they'd run to the node. Often far enough away that they wouldn't draw aggro anyway, you are just clearing the trash for them.

Just no.
I have absolutely no idea how and why you guys have problems with mobs in that place.
you can actually mount up and FLY in that cavern. at least on my server that place is deserted (and my sever is locked btw & free transfer).. dunno what problems you guys have but i just fly in and mine without any mobs aggro.
*scratches head*
all i remember i did a quest there and indeed had a problem with an 85 warrior that was ganking everything in sight but that was that.
btw phasing nodes can DIAF .. especially those in Uldum.
alayire
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Flipthebird » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:21 am

Had no idea you could mount up in there...maybe I just never tried it :-/

But, when I'm in there there is always at least one mob in aggro range of the node. It's not bad, in fact you can make a hefty profit off the coin/embersilk/greens they drop so I'll often just grind my way thru them while going from node to node.

I've never had a problem with the opposing faction in there though.
Flipthebird
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 am
Location: Texas

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Discus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:51 am

There's a few logical leaps in there I don't follow.


One reason there's a shortage of tanks is it's harder than being dps - hence excess of dps. In previous expansions this was offset by a few advantages available to tanks when not raiding. For example soloing older raids and aoe farming for Gold. Blizzard have deliberately removed these tanking perks from the game making tanking less attractive to many. Resulting in less tanks.

OFC you'll always get the heroes/martyrs who will tank simply because they love tanking and don't want any perks. But a significant number of us shallow casuals miss the perks.
Discus
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 am

One of the logical leaps being the idea that AoE grinding is a tank perk when the post you were quoting specifically talks about a Frost Mage doing it...
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6831
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby thegreatheed » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:44 am

Discus wrote:
There's a few logical leaps in there I don't follow.


One reason there's a shortage of tanks is it's harder than being dps - hence excess of dps. In previous expansions this was offset by a few advantages available to tanks when not raiding. For example soloing older raids and aoe farming for Gold. Blizzard have deliberately removed these tanking perks from the game making tanking less attractive to many. Resulting in less tanks.

OFC you'll always get the heroes/martyrs who will tank simply because they love tanking and don't want any perks. But a significant number of us shallow casuals miss the perks.


This argument doesn't hold water when dual spec costs 10g. When anyone can swap to a dps spec in 20 seconds, having nothing to do outside of raids quickly goes away. I completely disagree with the argument that no aoe grinding means substantially fewer tanks. Most people don't play this game to grind mobs, aoe or otherwise. While it was a small perk that a few people enjoyed, not having an equivalent doesn't substantially affect the number of available tanks, because the vast majority of players in this game don't play it to grind mobs. How many people were ever on the steps of BT at a time? Compare that to the number of people standing in shattrath or ganking lowbies or farming the AH. This isn't making "tanking less attractive to many". It's making tanking less attractive to a few.

Besides, there is a substantial perk for tanks (even one that can be sold), instant queues for dungeons. Oh, and soloing old raids is alive and well too.
Image
thegreatheed
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 am

Discus wrote:One reason there's a shortage of tanks is it's harder than being dps - hence excess of dps. In previous expansions this was offset by a few advantages available to tanks when not raiding. For example soloing older raids and aoe farming for Gold. Blizzard have deliberately removed these tanking perks from the game making tanking less attractive to many. Resulting in less tanks.


Harder? Not really. Being a great DPS is much harder than being a great tank IMO.

Soloing old raids is probably easier now. I know a moonkin and a frost mage in my guild duoed Alar so a tank should have no issues.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 am

Discus wrote:
There's a few logical leaps in there I don't follow.


One reason there's a shortage of tanks is it's harder than being dps - hence excess of dps.

No it isn't.

In previous expansions this was offset by a few advantages available to tanks when not raiding. For example soloing older raids and aoe farming for Gold. Blizzard have deliberately removed these tanking perks from the game making tanking less attractive to many. Resulting in less tanks.

OFC you'll always get the heroes/martyrs who will tank simply because they love tanking and don't want any perks. But a significant number of us shallow casuals miss the perks.


Good riddance.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10472
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Discus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:14 am

Good riddance.


I'm quite shocked by the rudeness of this comment, particularly coming from a Maintankadin moderator. I was merely offering an opinion.

This is a fantastic site and one of the things that makes it great is players of all levels can offer their opinions without personal abuse or judgement. We get enough of that from PUGs.

I have noticed less and less posts here and it has saddened me. If you want Maintankadin to become another WoW official forum with a tiny clique of Elite players who agree on everything then that's a great shame. A moderator personally abusing a poster for offering their opinion, however strongly you disagree with it, is the way to achieve that.

FYI - I'm a martyr - I will continue to play as tank regardless of perks. I was reporting the comments of many of my friends who have given up tanking and I happen to agree with them.
Discus
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 am

Discus wrote:
Good riddance.


I'm quite shocked by the rudeness of this comment, particularly coming from a Maintankadin moderator. I was merely offering an opinion.

This is a fantastic site and one of the things that makes it great is players of all levels can offer their opinions without personal abuse or judgement. We get enough of that from PUGs.

I have noticed less and less posts here and it has saddened me. If you want Maintankadin to become another WoW official forum with a tiny clique of Elite players who agree on everything then that's a great shame. A moderator personally abusing a poster for offering their opinion, however strongly you disagree with it, is the way to achieve that.

That's not an ad hominem. If I said "Good Riddance; you are a jerk" that would be an ad hominem attack. It would be resorting to asserting unrelated things about the poster in place of actual discussion. I did not do such a thing. What I did was, as you did, stated my opinion that we as a community are better to be rid of people who play protection specced characters with ulterior motives. You are free to disagree with me as I am free to disagree with you. I don't see anything like what you are saying with regards to "personal abuse".

FYI - I'm a martyr - I will continue to play as tank regardless of perks. I was reporting the comments of many of my friends who have given up tanking and I happen to agree with them.


Ok. To restate my opinion, I think tanks like yourself are fine, and tanks such as many of your friends who commented in said way are not fine.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10472
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Cata grinding spots

Postby thegreatheed » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 am

Discus wrote:I have noticed less and less posts here and it has saddened me. If you want Maintankadin to become another WoW official forum with a tiny clique of Elite players who agree on everything then that's a great shame. A moderator personally abusing a poster for offering their opinion, however strongly you disagree with it, is the way to achieve that.

FYI - I'm a martyr - I will continue to play as tank regardless of perks. I was reporting the comments of many of my friends who have given up tanking and I happen to agree with them.
You don't spend any times on the WoW forums do you??? The WoW official forums are in no way ruled by a tiny clique of Elite players. It is ruled by bad casuals who can't be bothered to CC in a heroic instance, and whine and cry when they have to a TINY bit of smart play to finish a heroic instance.

Also, the fact that you call "good riddance" PERSONAL ABUSE is pretty laughable. Also, if you are not one of the tanks leaving, and as you say, your friends are leaving because they do not value the balancing effort put into

1. making block viable on progression fights (even though you can't trivialize old content)
2. balancing damage and health (which made health values rise and mobs hit harder) and thus making aoe farming more tough, but making the tanking model make more sense by valuing something other than straight EH.

So these friends ignore the reasoning behind some of the overall changes (that are for the greater good) quit because some novelty is "removed", even though there are alternative present. Sounds like these are petty players who don't value changes that are good for the game. Good riddance indeed.
Image
thegreatheed
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?