Remove Advertisements

Mastery cap

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Mastery cap

Postby Ficca » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 am

So I've read both Sculder's and theckhd's threads + searched the forum, and I still couldn't find a clear answer to my question: what is the exact, block chance cap value? Without any buffs except for Holy shield and talents, that is.
Ficca

Re: Mastery cap

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:43 am

There currently is no known cap.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Kyoshkin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 am

Beyond the no cap and no diminishing returns...

Mastery is king, particularly since holy shield doesnt do diddly for block% anymore.... Or did I miss something?
Kyoshkin

Postby Arcand » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Ficca wrote:So I've read both Sculder's and theckhd's threads + searched the forum, and I still couldn't find a clear answer to my question: what is the exact, block chance cap value? Without any buffs except for Holy shield and talents, that is.

What makes this hard to answer is that it depends on your dodge and parry chances. If 99% of attacks on you miss/are parried/are dodged, then you only need 1% worth of block to be mastery capped. :)

What you need - check this on your own character sheet - is for 5% + (your dodge) + (your parry) + (your block) to add up to 100%.

The Fine Print
The 5% is your chance to be missed. You can't improve that number or see it on your sheet but it's still there.

Make sure you take attacker level into account. For a long time character sheets showed your chance to parry/dodge/block someone the same level as you, and because bosses are generally 3 levels above the cap we needed 102.4%, not 100%, to be capped out against them. Now if you're interested in raid bosses just read the level 88 lines on your character sheet.
Arcand

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Holy shield and talents no long affect block chance. Holy shield increases damage blocked by 10% (to 40%). We do not have any talents that increase block chance (the way Redoubt used to).

Block chance is effectively "capped" at 97.4%; block rating past this point will provide no additional benefit. Of course, dodge and parry push this threshold down.

It is not currently known if mastery ceases to provide benefit at some arbitrary ceiling.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm

When block% + parry% + dodge% + 5% = 102.4%, more mastery will do no good. That is your effective mastery cap.

The extra 2.4% is because bosses are 3 levels above you (0.8% x 3).

The 5% is the base miss chance of a boss.

Block, parry, and dodge figures are from your character screen values, which are post diminishing returns.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm

These numbers get thrown out a lot without a bit of understanding.

An equal level mob has 5% miss chance against you. A boss mob has only 4.4% miss, since he is a higher level. Similarly, your dodge, parry, and block values will be 0.6% less each against boss level mobs than they are displayed on your sheet.

So if the numbers on your sheet versus equal level mobs, +5% miss, equal 102.4%, you're capped. Alternately, if the numbers versus boss mobs + 4.4% miss equal 100%, you're capped.

Bear in mind it's impossible to be mastery capped in the current content. No, really, physically impossible.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Mirydon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Maybe add that these values are best read from your character sheet when you're buffed, since Kings/MotW gives extra dodge and parry, as does Horn of Winter, and your food buff adds block rating. Can't think of any more buffs that add to getting to the block cap.
Rune Weapon has defeated the hero of the Warmaul, Mogor! All hail Rune Weapon!
Mirydon

Postby rodos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Also keep in mind that Ghostcrawler has pretty much said that they intend to avoid the "Radiance" issue in future by tweaking the effective levels of the bosses in each tier by giving them progressively more "defense", which will raise the hit cap for dps, and hit/expertise, which will raise the miss+parry+dodge+block cap for tanks.

So 102.4% is the correct cap now, but it probably won't be once 4.1 lands.
rodos

Return to Basic Training & Talents