So Thirsty! Wheres My Mana Going!?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: So Thirsty! Wheres My Mana Going!?

Postby BlackNet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 am

No sir, what I am doing is not "normal" by no means but it does work and it's very effective. I tell everyone that the new content we need to be multitasking during combat, able to shift focus, fight while moving yet unleash the max damage possible while taking the least damage possible.

I have plenty of mana to go around and wish we had some way to transfer mana to the healer when needed, even if it was once per x minutes it would be sweet.

Hand of Protection is the most interesting ability we have in our stockpile, seldom used and hardly understood by most I would wager. Hand of Salvation is another. I find myself using Hand of Freedom quite often now which is good.

I have seen it countless times where a mage, DK, rogue, etc... pulls off the tank not just at the start but well into the fight.
Uncomfortable truth : We're all pugs.
BlackNet

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:27 am

I liked when Lay on Hands gave your target mana. That was nice.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Nikachelle wrote:My whole point was that using seal of insight 100% of the time is just plain stupid. You can't run a comfortable dungeon using seal of insight without losing a great deal of the mobs to begin with (unless you go apeshit and gear for every threat stat I suppose, like the guy above). And really, no one wants to languish in a heroic. I'd rather the dps were able to dps right away rather than waiting for the tank to get EVEN MORE threat up on their targets just because the tank is using SoI.

I think you're overestimating the power of Seal of Truth in relation to threat generation here. Didn't you just switch to a Grand Crusader spec? That is an awesome talent for having things glue to you in a heroic.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:My whole point was that using seal of insight 100% of the time is just plain stupid. You can't run a comfortable dungeon using seal of insight without losing a great deal of the mobs to begin with (unless you go apeshit and gear for every threat stat I suppose, like the guy above). And really, no one wants to languish in a heroic. I'd rather the dps were able to dps right away rather than waiting for the tank to get EVEN MORE threat up on their targets just because the tank is using SoI.

I think you're overestimating the power of Seal of Truth in relation to threat generation here. Didn't you just switch to a Grand Crusader spec? That is an awesome talent for having things glue to you in a heroic.

I did, but I don't find I utilize it much. Or that it comes off CD nearly early enough to use in the rotation at a well placed time.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I did, but I don't find I utilize it much. Or that it comes off CD nearly early enough to use in the rotation at a well placed time.

Do you do the rotation while tanking trash packs? If so you might want to break that habit to utilize it more.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Otuel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:26 pm

BlackNet wrote:I have plenty of mana to go around and wish we had some way to transfer mana to the healer when needed, even if it was once per x minutes it would be sweet.

I imagine that this is the drawback to the tactic that you are using. Maximize threat at the expense of mitigation, take more damage, healers spend more mana. If your healers aren't going OOM in the middle of a fight then it's not a problem.

I'm going the other route to try and help out the healers. I'm OK with the fight lasting a little bit longer since I know that heals are in good shape. That and my dps are not quite as twitchy with the cool-downs on the pull. That just doesn't make sense to me.

-Ot
Otuel / Protection / Earthen Ring (US)
Otuel

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:I did, but I don't find I utilize it much. Or that it comes off CD nearly early enough to use in the rotation at a well placed time.

Do you do the rotation while tanking trash packs? If so you might want to break that habit to utilize it more.

Yeah I use "the rotation" while tanking trash. I feel weird not using Crusader Strike or Hammer every other move. I'm guessing that's something I need to stop eh?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Otuel wrote:That and my dps are not quite as twitchy with the cool-downs on the pull. That just doesn't make sense to me.

-Ot

The sooner they use it, the sooner it's back up again. I understand that point at least.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Yeah I use "the rotation" while tanking trash. I feel weird not using Crusader Strike or Hammer every other move. I'm guessing that's something I need to stop eh?

It is more breaking your rotation to use the GC proc. On stationary bosses GC has lower value. But getting a AS>HotR>AS is a pretty big threat boost for trash.

As for DPS blowing cooldowns for me it is an issue with Judgement missing on the pull followed up by the emergency AS missing as well that throws me off. Which is probably why I value hit more than expertise.
Flex

Postby BlackNet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Yeah I use "the rotation" while tanking trash. I feel weird not using Crusader Strike or Hammer every other move. I'm guessing that's something I need to stop eh?

It is more breaking your rotation to use the GC proc. On stationary bosses GC has lower value. But getting a AS>HotR>AS is a pretty big threat boost for trash.

As for DPS blowing cooldowns for me it is an issue with Judgement missing on the pull followed up by the emergency AS missing as well that throws me off. Which is probably why I value hit more than expertise.

What is worth noting here is I use GC not when it's up but I save it for interrupt control. I.e. Baron in SFK (first boss) I normally get stay of execution and I suspect that if I make a few tweaks here and there I could possibly interrupt everything he does with avenging shield.
Uncomfortable truth : We're all pugs.
BlackNet

Postby Otuel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Otuel wrote:That and my dps are not quite as twitchy with the cool-downs on the pull. That just doesn't make sense to me.

-Ot

The sooner they use it, the sooner it's back up again. I understand that point at least.

Ah. Well, I see the reasoning. But, If they just wait, say, 10 seconds it gives the tank all the time they need. They are gambling on the timing of the fight. They are hoping they can get (pulling numbers out of a**) three cool-downs off when they would have only been able to squeeze two in if they waited that 10 seconds. Of course that last one will be coming in at the end of the fight when the boss has only a few seconds left to live anyway. And if the timing doesn't line up then it would make no difference.

There must be more to it than that because I don't see that benefit being worth the risk of pulling agro or the pressure on the healer mana pool of the tank being maxed to threat.

-Ot
Otuel / Protection / Earthen Ring (US)
Otuel

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Otuel wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

-Ot

Ah. Well, I see the reasoning. But, If they just wait, say, 10 seconds it gives the tank all the time they need. They are gambling on the timing of the fight. They are hoping they can get (pulling numbers out of a**) three cool-downs off when they would have only been able to squeeze two in if they waited that 10 seconds. Of course that last one will be coming in at the end of the fight when the boss has only a few seconds left to live anyway. And if the timing doesn't line up then it would make no difference.

There must be more to it than that because I don't see that benefit being worth the risk of pulling agro or the pressure on the healer mana pool of the tank being maxed to threat.

-Ot

And that right there is the difference between decent players and amazing players. An extra cooldown, for even the remaining 10 seconds of a boss' life can make the difference between a kill and a wipe. Every GCD does count and the sooner your CDs are back up, the sooner you're more likely to be able to eek out more dps for that progression kill. (Talking about raids here, not heroics though.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Nikachelle wrote:And that right there is the difference between decent players and amazing players. An extra cooldown, for even the remaining 10 seconds of a boss' life can make the difference between a kill and a wipe. Every GCD does count and the sooner your CDs are back up, the sooner you're more likely to be able to eek out more dps for that progression kill. (Talking about raids here, not heroics though.)

And if you waste your opening cooldown because you shoot your wad on the pull and spend half of it not casting while the tank makes up for you over doing it do you accomplish anything?
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:And that right there is the difference between decent players and amazing players. An extra cooldown, for even the remaining 10 seconds of a boss' life can make the difference between a kill and a wipe. Every GCD does count and the sooner your CDs are back up, the sooner you're more likely to be able to eek out more dps for that progression kill. (Talking about raids here, not heroics though.)

And if you waste your opening cooldown because you shoot your wad on the pull and spend half of it not casting while the tank makes up for you over doing it do you accomplish anything?

I'll admit it's a tedious balance. And I wish my hunter MDed without me yelling at him in every raid. :(
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I'll admit it's a tedious balance. And I wish my hunter MDed without me yelling at him in every raid. :(

Yes, we have a problem with that too. Hunter can't be bothered, according to a relayed private chat. Fortunately, we have a very good rogue who ToT's regularly. And the 'lock NEVER EVER makes rocks without prompting. Ever. Mages make the yummy pasta. Njall lays down the food. Everyone has a job to do. They should do it.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice