Remove Advertisements

boss stacks and expertise q's

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

boss stacks and expertise q's

Postby Talek » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:12 am

Hey, I had a couple questions.

#1: this is for fine tuning my UI. I noticed that it doesn't show spell stacks very well during a certain boss fight with 3 beams. So I recently got an addon and I would like to test it prior to going back to that particular dungeon. Is there any NPC out there in the world or a lower dungeon that I can visit to test spell stacks on? The premises is I fill the HUD with the spell name and it will give me text alerts when it reaches x# of stacks. I'm 85 pally with nearly all 346 gear.

#2: I've noticed expertise is sort of getting the cold shoulder and a lot of it seems to be getting reforged into mastery and dodge, is this becoming the trend?
Talek

Re: boss stacks and expertise q's

Postby Eltiana » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 am

Talek wrote:Hey, I had a couple questions.

#1: this is for fine tuning my UI. I noticed that it doesn't show spell stacks very well during a certain boss fight with 3 beams. So I recently got an addon and I would like to test it prior to going back to that particular dungeon. Is there any NPC out there in the world or a lower dungeon that I can visit to test spell stacks on? The premises is I fill the HUD with the spell name and it will give me text alerts when it reaches x# of stacks. I'm 85 pally with nearly all 346 gear.

#2: I've noticed expertise is sort of getting the cold shoulder and a lot of it seems to be getting reforged into mastery and dodge, is this becoming the trend?

I can't speak for #1, but as for #2, threat is considered not such a big deal atm, while stacking mitigation/EH/avoidance is.
Eltiana

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:41 am

I use the addon OmniCC - it can be set-up to show the stacks / timers on stuff very well and is quite nice.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:44 am

Talek wrote:#1: Is there any NPC out there in the world or a lower dungeon that I can visit to test spell stacks on?

Maybe the Forgemaster dude's aura thing from Pit of Saron?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:33 am

Very few UIs use a different font/style for buffs and debuffs, so all you really need to find is something with a stacking buff. Lifebloom is probably the easiest to get offhand.

FWIW, Corla has a very obvious warning built-in for when your stacks are high and it's time to move out.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kraziness » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:03 am

Isn't expertise a mitigation stat as well as threat? I may not be up on the times but I thought, that when parried by an npc, that it either causes them to get an extra attack on you, or resets thier attack timer because the the parry causing an attack against you? My DK tank is maxed on expertise and still sits at a base unbuffed 163k HP. My Dodge is about 10% and Parry is close to 20%. Are those around the normal averages for mitigation these days? I haven't gemmed for stamina except for maybe 3 of 10 slots, choosing master/stam or parry/stam gems when considering slot bonuses.
Dell can go F themsleves in the A
Kraziness

Postby lythac » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 am

Kraziness wrote:My DK tank is maxed on expertise and still sits at a base unbuffed 163k HP.

You have 56 expertise?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Kraziness » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:18 am

I can't be sure of the exact number, but I will check it tonight. I do remeber the last level under the tool tip when scrolling over the expertise it shows 0.something.

I am sure I did some reforging to expertise, and I am using the heroic Foereaver 6k or w/e it is called from Heroic Deadmines. I think my primary reason was so I could just loltank through heroics...
Kraziness

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 am

Kraziness wrote:Isn't expertise a mitigation stat as well as threat? I may not be up on the times but I thought, that when parried by an npc, that it either causes them to get an extra attack on you, or resets thier attack timer because the the parry causing an attack against you?

Not anymore.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Kraziness wrote:I can't be sure of the exact number, but I will check it tonight. I do remeber the last level under the tool tip when scrolling over the expertise it shows 0.something.

Is it showing that for parry or dodge? Cause the parry % requires the 56 expertise (hard cap), whereas dodge only requires 26 (soft cap).
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Kraziness » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 am

So yea, my expertise puts me a zero chance to be parried, dodge is a different story. I really don't worry too much about all the stats unless I start getting slapped around while tanking.
Kraziness

Return to General