Remove Advertisements

stats for tanking heroics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: stats for tanking heroics

Postby bub64882 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

There a few pieces missing any enchants if Armory is accurate...Ask your guild levelling leatherworkers to kick down some grinded savage armor kits, and throw that free stam on the pieces that will be replaced shortly. You can trade them some short queue times on your heroic runs :).
bub64882

Postby Kyoshkin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Is it safe to assume that if you're having issues staying alive during trash pulls in regular instances that heroics are way out of your league?

I did a reg LCoT run this afternoon and died 2x to the trash (no-cc pygmy pull and the 4mobs after the bridge on the way to Repentance boss).

I'd like to think that my gear is good enough for tanking regulars (138k hp, 12% dodge, 14% parry, 34% mastery), but.. maybe not?

Armory: http://bit.ly/fZN663

In looking through the other threads around here and on EJ, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of "here's what a tank should have before setting foot into <insert easy heroic name here>"
Kyoshkin

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 pm

You're fine for heroics. Are you using more than one CC and still getting wrecked? If so, it might not be you that's the problem. Poor DPS, poor healing, or poor tanking could each be the cause of your concern.

Honestly, get good at the regular versions of the place, get good at CC and not accidentally breaking it. Get good at knowing how to handle things when the "fit hits the shan".
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Crugeon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:47 am

Kyoshkin wrote:Is it safe to assume that if you're having issues staying alive during trash pulls in regular instances that heroics are way out of your league?

I did a reg LCoT run this afternoon and died 2x to the trash (no-cc pygmy pull and the 4mobs after the bridge on the way to Repentance boss).

I'd like to think that my gear is good enough for tanking regulars (138k hp, 12% dodge, 14% parry, 34% mastery), but.. maybe not?

Armory: http://bit.ly/fZN663

In looking through the other threads around here and on EJ, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of "here's what a tank should have before setting foot into <insert easy heroic name here>"

Its been a while since I done any tanking but what is your hit at Kyoshikin? If you are having any issues it maybe you dont have enough hit. Just a thought, like I said I been out of the mix for a while and just started back again.
Crugeon

Postby Kyoshkin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:08 am

My hit is at about 3.5%, which these days appears "normal" (if not a little high).

I re-geared a little, so I'm up to 140k hp.. i might be able to survive some trash packs now... Only time (and the desire to incur greater repair costs) will tell.
Kyoshkin

Postby Aerron » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:11 am

Kyoshkin wrote:My hit is at about 3.5%, which these days appears "normal" (if not a little high).

I re-geared a little, so I'm up to 140k hp.. i might be able to survive some trash packs now... Only time (and the desire to incur greater repair costs) will tell.

I might be wrong on this but 34% mastery at that level seems a little low to me. All of your other stats look right, but I'm running around with 47+% block, coming out on the far side of the heroics curve. Are you re-forging for Mastery?

I believe when I started Heroics I was at 42% block or so.
Aerron

Postby Kyoshkin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:07 pm

I gutted through a couple of heroics as dps (my dps gear totally sucks, but I did it) and got the valor badges for the trinket.

I also gemmed up a bit different.. my block is still below 42%, but I'm not really sure how to up it w/o losing a lot of other stats (i.e. gemming purely for mastery to the exclusion of socket bonuses).

url: http://bit.ly/fZN663
Kyoshkin

Postby Palizangetsu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Kyoshkin wrote:I gutted through a couple of heroics as dps (my dps gear totally sucks, but I did it) and got the valor badges for the trinket.

I also gemmed up a bit different.. my block is still below 42%, but I'm not really sure how to up it w/o losing a lot of other stats (i.e. gemming purely for mastery to the exclusion of socket bonuses).

url: http://bit.ly/fZN663

You can reforge your chest and belts dodge or parry to mastery, your pants can be reforged to mastery instead of expertise and your trinket instead of the parry being reforged into dodge could be reforged into mastery.
Palizangetsu

Postby Kyoshkin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Thank you! I did some of that.
Kyoshkin

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 am

Crugeon wrote:Its been a while since I done any tanking but what is your hit at Kyoshikin? If you are having any issues it maybe you dont have enough hit.

How is hit supposed to help his survivability? I'm not certain how this suggestion makes any sense, but I'd be curious to hear your line of reasoning.

I don't know how out of date this thread is given you responded yesterday, but it looks like you've gotten a couple pieces of heroic gear; even without the 346 drops, you should be able to tear heroics apart.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Kyoshkin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:49 pm

I managed to tank H VP a few min ago. It went pretty well (no wipes) - but we had me, shaman, druid, and 2 warlocks, so it was the rare fight where I had to tank more than 2 mobs @ a time.

To answer your question - i have been queueing up as dps and taking whatever gear I can when the tank doesn't need it. Most of my attempts at tanking heroics have failed miserably.
Kyoshkin

Postby theothersteve7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Tank some regulars. Far underrated activity. The gear will help immensely and you'll get a feel for the trash pulls to boot.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Kyoshkin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm

theothersteve7:

There isn't anything i can grab from regulars gear-wise. I have tanked a ton of regs for just that purpose - it's just a matter of getting plastered on most heroics - although I tanked H SFK in a total pug today w/ no wipes and no CC.
Kyoshkin

Postby Barathorn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:31 am

Something is definately going wrong then Kyoshkin. I can happily handle the easier heroics with 125k unbuffed health, 11% dodge and 12% parry and about 39% block.

The average group I run with has 2 forms of CC [normally sap and hex/sheep] and on a 4 pull we will CC 2 mobs and I will tank skull after stunning X for 6 seconds with Hammer. This enables skull to be burnt down quick and for X to do little damage before you are tanking it. Then we kill sap, then hex/sheep.

Are you using cooldowns? I use 20% DR on most pulls.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby econ21 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:58 am

Your gear and its enhancement look fine to me, Kyoshkin. If you are wiping on trash, as Barathorn says, use more CC. (Or find better healers and dps!).

Are you using seal of insight and WoGing a lot? I find it can help in a PUG.

If the problem is bosses, then it is usually a matter of learning the appropriate tactics. Spank and tank is gone.
econ21

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents