Selfish Guildmates

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Selfish Guildmates

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 pm

On the opposite side of things, I helped one person who needed only the going south achievement. After we were done (we tried to one heal it for 5 wipes then switched to me also healing) she mailed me two Stoneskin flasks as a thank you. I was very appreciative!
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Epimer wrote:
djlar wrote:
At least you don't go PvP instead like our tanks did, good riddance from that guild that I'm now not a member of..

How dare they choose to spend their game time doing what they want to do, rather than carting an endless succession of thankless guildies through incessant heroic runs long past the point that they themselves have any use for them.

It's a wonder they can sleep at night.

Because I joined a raiding guild, not a PvP guild, if the guild would require to PvP I wouldn' have joined in the first place. Only passable PvP is Tol Barad for the hopeful PvE drops on the boss but going arena's and BGs not my thing.
djlar

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Personally, I don't think you should join a raiding guild in the hopes that they'll push you through heroics for what you need. Especially if you don't know any of the people there already.

The other thing is if you do something that irks them the first run they ever do with you, it's doubtful they'll want a repeat session. (Case and point: I took a player who wanted to raid with us to a daily heroic last night. He put out a grand total of 5.5k dps on bosses and trash, died on every boss fight due to complete lack of awareness on his part and went afk every twenty minutes which ended up resulting in a two hour long Grim Batol run. As a result of this run, I've decided that this guy will NEVER raid with us and I won't ever run a heroic with him again.)

I don't like doing runs more than I need now, but I'll do them for friends I know well. However, Mr. Random Schmoe who never says hi to me, doesn't bother to get to know me and suddenly wants a tank for his heroic? I don't think so.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Epimer wrote:How dare they choose to spend their game time doing what they want to do, rather than carting an endless succession of thankless guildies through incessant heroic runs long past the point that they themselves have any use for them.

It's a wonder they can sleep at night.

The only caveat I would like to mention is, if these tanks are the same ones complaining about not doing raids, knowing that fellow raiders aren't geared enough, and then refusing to do anything to help get fellow raiders geared...those aren't people I'd want in my guild.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:38 pm

In my case I'm a good "schmo", doing 13-15K dps, not dying, ToT every CD, Sapping every pull, attacking the tank's target, self healing, self-dispelling, interrupter etc, you name it.

I just didn't see the intention of our tanks to do any heroics at all, not even for the daily VPs (which is silly I don't know anyone with full i359 set yet).

Countless nights doing 4 hours of failed pug runs gets to you.. believe me..

There was this one week one of our tanks wanted to do some heroics achieves, asked for rogue, I stepped in, got him his achieves and his drake, the next 2 weeks he just wasn't available to even Q any of us, that's shelfish and ungreatful.

"need a tank to Q us 3 dps guildies, you don't have to stay"..... silence
djlar

Postby theckhd » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:43 pm

djlar wrote:"need a tank to Q us 3 dps guildies, you don't have to stay"..... silence

Well, to be fair, I refuse to abuse that loophole too. It's rude and unfair to the other people sitting in the queue waiting for a tank.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Epimer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:50 pm

djlar wrote:"need a tank to Q us 3 dps guildies, you don't have to stay"..... silence

See, you were almost coming across as having a reasonable point and being worthy of sympathy until you mentioned the "using a tank to skip the queue, then having him drop group" scheme.
Epimer

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 pm

theckhd wrote:

Well, to be fair, I refuse to abuse that loophole too. It's rude and unfair to the other people sitting in the queue waiting for a tank.

Agreed. I won't do it either.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Senador » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:57 pm

The loophole is a cluster and a mess, and all it actually does it screws up the que. Sometimes a new tank pops right in, and others a group of 3 DPS and a healer are sitting around for upwards of 10 minutes waiting for the next tank in the que to accept. It also tends to really screw which ever healer happened to be in that que, as with how quick their que, has to sit around and wait on a tank isn’t particularly fair either.
Senador

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 pm

djlar wrote:
"need a tank to Q us 3 dps guildies, you don't have to stay"..... silence

Charming.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 pm

It's no longer World of Warcraft, it's World of Woecraft, as in Woe is me.

If you can't find a tank to be nice enough to just hand you 45 minutes of their time, just buy their time. I pay tanks 200g per instance run (even on normal runs) and that's as a healer where my time to queue is much shorter. On top of that, I mention that there is a performance bonus based on how they tank/cc/control the dps. You'd be surprised who is willing to tank for gold. Everytime I log in now, I have 4 or 5 tanks asking if I need a run.

The last thing I want is a tank that doesn't really want to go in a run because they'll be a) disinterested in the run leading to sloppy mistakes, b) more critical of everything that goes wrong, and c) will think of me as a freeloader just abusing the tanks.

Their time is just as important as everyone else's time. I might as well make it worthwhile for them so that they want to go.
thatguy

Postby djlar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Then as a consolation price we get a lousy tank, we wipe for an hour and get what we deserve.. that's the risk of not running with a tank that knows what his doing..

Is a common practice on my realm, in trade they pay a tank, I think 75g for the Q and he doesn't have to stay, but right now the tank "fee" is 150g
djlar

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:37 pm

djlar wrote:
Is a common practice on my realm, in trade they pay a tank, I think 75g for the Q and he doesn't have to stay, but right now the tank "fee" is 150g

So get three dps together, put 75g in each and buy a tank for an entire heroic for 225g? The random gold reward nets you nearly all of your gold back and with the gold/grey/green drops you probably come out with Justice Points/Valor Points and a small repair bill as your total cost.

Oh, and you saved 45 minutes in the queue.
thatguy

Postby Epimer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 pm

djlar wrote:Is a common practice on my realm, in trade they pay a tank, I think 75g for the Q and he doesn't have to stay, but right now the tank "fee" is 150g

Well, why didn't you say so? If everyone else is doing it, it must be ok!

It's a dick move whichever way it's spun.
Epimer

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

thatguy wrote:
So get three dps together, put 75g in each and buy a tank for an entire heroic for 225g? The random gold reward nets you nearly all of your gold back and with the gold/grey/green drops you probably come out with Justice Points/Valor Points and a small repair bill as your total cost.

Oh, and you saved 45 minutes in the queue.

Yah, sometimes I still run tours. Glad to hear you're getting business.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General