+500 spell on Void Reaver?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Vanifae » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 am

Puss wrote:Once you lose aggro, the only thing you can do as a pally are :

- hope for a misdirection from a hunter ( this won't help much even )
- chug mana pots ( you'll need to chug 4 pots ) and use wings as soon as you can , use the heavy duty threat spells.

A paladin with +-400 spelldamage chain-drinking mana pots *can* keep up with a GOOD protection warrior even in OT position, if you know what you're doing. obviously more spelldamage will help, but the key is the knockbacks, so stack on dodge :)

-Puss

My experience was different the first night we did him, I held him for upwards of 70% of the fight, we didn't kill him, but I was pretty much ahead by a wide margin.

On our kill night I was neck and neck with my Warrior Tank, admittedly I had a poor start, but the last 20% of the fight I held him rock solid through knockbacks. It isn't just luck, it is all about threat rotations and the fact that we can maintain a high TPS output via proper potting and knowing when to pop threat buttons.

Knockbacks will happen and you should have every tank building aggro because you will at some point probably lose it. This is not a failure this is a part of the encounter.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Equitas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:52 pm

How much does he Crush for on a well geared tank?

Is Uncrushable a neccessity for this fight?
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby hotlips » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:17 am

i usually get hit for 3.5-4k (on 17.5k armor), so it would make a crush 5.5k-6k... not too much, but i wouldn't risk it. With the pounding you can take quite a lot of dmg in a short time.
hotlips

Postby sanctifico » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:13 am

did it with 634 raid buffed ( gogo threat gear ) kept him to 25% and then lost him (i would have got him back if the hunters werent working on their epeen and MD'd people when asked)

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby Songblade » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:22 am

Yeah basically its really easy if you can get first aggro, plus it helps because you get free mana (via actually needing heals) ^_^. Also is 260 spell damage all you really need? Cuz I'm sitting at 411 in my mitigation gear, and my threat set has about 500. That's before flasks/food/oil/other buffs.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 am

Songblade wrote:Yeah basically its really easy if you can get first aggro, plus it helps because you get free mana (via actually needing heals) ^_^. Also is 260 spell damage all you really need? Cuz I'm sitting at 411 in my mitigation gear, and my threat set has about 500. That's before flasks/food/oil/other buffs.

The better your avoidance, the less spell damage you need...
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:44 pm

I used 4pc T4 and a few other epics and got up to 499 spelldamage buffed (wizard oil and imp DS). Held him until I died at 12%.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:
Songblade wrote:Yeah basically its really easy if you can get first aggro, plus it helps because you get free mana (via actually needing heals) ^_^. Also is 260 spell damage all you really need? Cuz I'm sitting at 411 in my mitigation gear, and my threat set has about 500. That's before flasks/food/oil/other buffs.

The better your avoidance, the less spell damage you need...

Yes, I always chuckle to myself when people talk about how long they hold VR. I use CombatAnnounce, which allows me to announce various phrases from the combat log when a certain string is present (for this part, I use "Void Reaver %'s Knock Away").

You'll see VERY quickly how your threat is, although helped with spell damage, much much more so based on how lucky you are at not getting hit by Knock Aways. Sure! You can one-man tank him the whole way down! If you take no knock aways, it's quite easy. But even if you have over 1000 spell damage, 25% threat knockback scales. And if you take too many, you WILL lose threat (which is why you have more than one tank in the first place).
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Arsyn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:33 pm

At ~340 Spelldamage and some help from the Hunter's Misdirection, I have been able to hold on to the Voidreaver aggro long enough to let another tank take second or first place. It's tricky, but you need plenty of mana pots and a bit of raid co-ordination to do it. Looking back, I'm quite happy with my low spelldamage efforts on him and how we tied the abilities of multiple classes together.
Arsyn

Postby Azulito » Sun May 25, 2008 8:02 am

First few times i tanked VR i used around 300-400 spell dmg buffed.

I wear threat gear for the encounter now, and without a flask i'm around 600+ spell dmg, not including icon use or SSO neck proc. with JotC on him, i'm easily over 1000 spell dmg for a large part of the fight. longest i held him was 95%... lost him for 5% around the halfway mark to a warrior i believe was getting MDs :)
Azulito

Postby Quistu » Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 am

I must have screwed up bad. last night I thought I could do ok tanking him with 400 spell damish to not gimp my tanking gear to much. I poped all my spells as I could and chain choke pots. even still I only got to tank for a few secs in the end of the fight. :S
Quistu

Postby antiy4ho0 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:18 am

I've tanked VR 3 times, tommorow will be my 4th. The guild I run with is kind of a sister guild with mine, but they don't have much faith in pally tanks so I never get started on him. My train of thought is I need to be the second one to get aggro or I will have major mana issues. What I've been doing is running in and judging crusader, getting one cycle of JoR/Consecrate down then popping wings and shielding and putting out as much threat as possible. I chug a mana potion as soon as I'm -3000 mana and I continue swinging/Judging SoR. I Drop consecrate pretty much every other cycle. I'm not usually in the best group make up (No ele shammy or Shadow priest) but so far this has worked for me.

When I get aggro hes on me like glue. Max rank consecrates, Holy Shields and I shield every pounding that its not on cooldown. I don't pot or pop wings if I have aggro, as soon as I lose aggro I pot if I have -3000 mana and pop wings as soon as its available.

For VR I switch out my Maiden gauntlets for T4, and I put on the holy damage cloak from Kara trash. I also use the SoR Libram while I don't have aggro over the HS libram. I switch librams when I have aggro. The glove + cloak switch leaves me about 2% crushable but the crushes don't seem so bad and as this is a threat fight more than anything I feel putting out more threat is worth eating a crush once in a while.

Spell damage wise for me, I think I'm rocking 250-ish in normal gear (Still using the stupid continuum blade). Holy cloak + T4 gloves should put me in the 320 range, Oil + food + Elixer should get me into the low 400 range.

-Edit

Also, Consumables for me is no different than usual. Spell Damage Food. Wizard Oil. I flasked the first time, but have not flasked since. Flasking I'm sure will be a must as the DPS gears up but at this point I feel like for the majority of the fight theres is a very reasonable threat ceiling for the DPS and considering this is the only fight so far that I've been asked to tank the boss I don't feel wasting the money for the flask is worth it. Maybe I will use Adept elixers though, that might be worth it.
antiy4ho0

Postby agamemnoch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:32 am

We had an excess of tanks when I did it this past Saturday. 2 misdirects on our druid MT and I never got aggro from VR on our 4th and final attempt. We had to reset and wiped a bit because too much DPS died from his spheres.

I had >400 holy dmg with S1 mace, SSO pally shield, crunchy serpent and flask.

I had crusader up, but ran out of mana pretty fast. The healers were focusing on the current aggro tank so I had to beg for a HoT every so often and chugged nethergon pots.
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Postby TheHonage » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:58 am

benias wrote:Mana pots are cheap, but making warriors feel useless is priceless :D

This
TheHonage

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 am

If you have druids / coh priests / shaman healers, having shadow priests staying in melee for the poundings is so...feels like cheating =D
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep