[10man] Wyrmbreaker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10man] Wyrmbreaker

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Nether Scion, Slate Dragon, and Time Warden

Did a quick burn on the Nether Scion to get his VERY fast debuff to slow down a bit, then Slate followed by Time. While burning him down, he decided to enrage....and after the tank blew all of his CDs, we get a very lucky stun and kill him at the end :D

Profit!

After looking at it though we may not have had to kill the time warden though lol
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Arkness » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Angelarc6570 wrote:Nether Scion, Slate Dragon, and Time Warden

Did a quick burn on the Nether Scion to get his VERY fast debuff to slow down a bit, then Slate followed by Time. While burning him down, he decided to enrage....and after the tank blew all of his CDs, we get a very lucky stun and kill him at the end :D

Profit!

After looking at it though we may not have had to kill the time warden though lol

Had the exact same make-up of drakes last night in our kill, we merely burned the Scion, then burned the Warden, then Halfus.

Never touched the Slate...
Arkness

Postby Astronomic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 am

The healing is much easier if you release the time warden and nether scion at the same time. Just becomes a stay out of the fire style battle.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Arjuna » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 am

Is there a priority on the drakes?
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Arianne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 pm

What do you mean? Priority on which ones to release? Yes. Each one gives a different ability, so depending on the combination, you want to release different ones first. Priority on which one to kill? No. Just want to focus on one so that you can let the next one out.
Arianne

Postby maurok » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 pm

My group started raiding this week, and after killing magmaw and omni we went to halfus, and it was INTENSE!

I was expecting an easier fight from what I read, but it was really difficult, and I think it was because of the strategy adopted.

We had slate, storm and time-warden drake (it's a tough setup, right?). then the group decided to release TW, Bloodlust him down while getting multiple shadow novas in the face, and then release Storm drake, and then kill halfus. me and the other tank would switch between halfus/drake everytime the heal debuff ran out.

is it me or releasing the 2 drakes at once would be much easier?
maurok

Postby Ezharon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:20 pm

maurok wrote:My group started raiding this week, and after killing magmaw and omni we went to halfus, and it was INTENSE!

I was expecting an easier fight from what I read, but it was really difficult, and I think it was because of the strategy adopted.

We had slate, storm and time-warden drake (it's a tough setup, right?). then the group decided to release TW, Bloodlust him down while getting multiple shadow novas in the face, and then release Storm drake, and then kill halfus. me and the other tank would switch between halfus/drake everytime the heal debuff ran out.

is it me or releasing the 2 drakes at once would be much easier?

Yes you should release storm and time-warden at the start of the fight. Releasing the storm drake is mandatory to interrup the shadow novas. You should focus storm first then time warden then Halfus and ignore the slate.

The drakes hit pretty hard, harder than Halfus. So have one tank handling Halfus and the storm and the other tank handling the time-warden then taunt Halfus according to the debuff stacks on the other tank.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Back in Beta, the drakes used to cause a negative debuff while alive in addition to the helpful debuff they provide when released, to encourage choosing which ones to kill first. Is this no longer true? My current understanding based on our kills and others' descriptions:

When a drake is active that week, it grants a specific buff to the boss / proto-drake.
When a drake is released, it grants a specific debuff to the boss / proto-drake.
When a drake is released, it also grants a stacking +50% damage taken debuff to the boss.

Is this accurate?
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Ezharon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:50 pm

PsiVen wrote:My current understanding based on our kills and others' descriptions:

When a drake is active that week, it grants a specific buff to the boss / proto-drake.
When a drake is released, it grants a specific debuff to the boss / proto-drake.
When a drake is released, it also grants a stacking +50% damage taken debuff to the boss.

Is this accurate?

Yes this is accurate. However we found that when active the slate drake could be ignore and not released.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Karnadas » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:26 am

PsiVen wrote:Back in Beta, the drakes used to cause a negative debuff while alive in addition to the helpful debuff they provide when released, to encourage choosing which ones to kill first. Is this no longer true? My current understanding based on our kills and others' descriptions:

Is this accurate?

Correct. When drakes are active, they will give the boss some sort of buff to the boss (or the proto-behemoth? Not sure about him..) which will then be very powerful until you unchain the drake. After being unchained, the drake will apply some sort of debuff to whatever target, whether the whelps spit their poison at the behemoth or one of the others hits Halfus. After that buff is emitted, they will break to Halfus' will. Once they become hostile to you, it does NOT matter in which order you kill them. One week we were feeling like the enrage was too close, so we didn't even kill one of the drakes, just offtanked him and used cooldowns during the roar.

On heroic, the effects stay the same, except ALL drakes and whelps are active.
Karnadas

Postby ginga-uk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:51 am

We went there last week, with a mixed group. (Few key positions pretty undergeared). I forget the names, but we had +100% attack speed on the boss, the shadow nova drake, and the whelps. We got our arses handed to us many times.

Most attempts we released the 2 drakes at the start, had the DK tank, and a warrior hang on the boss for interrupts. I tanked both drakes, chaining my cooldowns. Interesting to note that the drakes hit harder than the boss....

Can I assume that you always get 3 of the 5 (4 drakes + whelps). Until I read this thread I thought it was 2 of 4, and always whelps.

I wish I'd recorded a combatlog to see what we were doing wrong, but alas that'll have to wait until next time. How often does he shadow nova? I was being told it was about 8 seconds apart, hence us keeping 2 interrupts on him. but if it's 10 seconds then we could have moved one.

Any other general tips. (Seems everyone is saying that the start is hardest, and other than a tight enrage it gets easier once you get 1 drake down)?
ginga-uk

Postby Winkle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm

ginga-uk wrote:We went there last week, with a mixed group. (Few key positions pretty undergeared). I forget the names, but we had +100% attack speed on the boss, the shadow nova drake, and the whelps. We got our arses handed to us many times.

Most attempts we released the 2 drakes at the start, had the DK tank, and a warrior hang on the boss for interrupts. I tanked both drakes, chaining my cooldowns. Interesting to note that the drakes hit harder than the boss....

Can I assume that you always get 3 of the 5 (4 drakes + whelps). Until I read this thread I thought it was 2 of 4, and always whelps.

I wish I'd recorded a combatlog to see what we were doing wrong, but alas that'll have to wait until next time. How often does he shadow nova? I was being told it was about 8 seconds apart, hence us keeping 2 interrupts on him. but if it's 10 seconds then we could have moved one.

Any other general tips. (Seems everyone is saying that the start is hardest, and other than a tight enrage it gets easier once you get 1 drake down)?

Shadow Nova is indeed every 8 seconds, so you either need a Shaman on Hlafus or the tank and a dps can alternate interrupts.

We had the same set-up. We selected to nuke the adds first since they go down the quickest, plus AOE also damages the Storm drake. Then finish off storm whilst releasing Nether. Once you're down to 1 drake and halfus the fight is easier and its just a matter of surviving the stun and beating his enrage.

The damage is certainly intense at the start of the fight and very demanding on the healers.
Winkle

Postby Jedah » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:17 am

Just a quick little tidbit -- I know it's stupid but I'm sure if my group had a problem with it then we aren't the only ones, and it's good to know ahead of time. We were under the impression that the very first shadow nova was "uninterruptable," as in .5 second cast, and there was nothing you can do about it.

This is untrue. If your offtank releases the storm rider IMMEDIATELY (you've got to be very quick) upon pulling Halfus, you can manage to have him active prior to the first shadow nova going off, making it easily interruptable.

cheers
Jedah

Postby Shathus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:47 am

Last week we had Time Warden, Nether Scion and Storm Rider.

We had the druid tank on Halfus, me on the drakes. We started releasing Storm and Time first to counter-act those abilities. But I kept going down eventually with too much damage from the drakes and everything else. What we ended up doing was releasing Storm so that we could interrupt Shadow Nova and just burned it down, eating the fireballs (I popped DG at the start to help as well). Then released Time so we could actually dodge the fireballs. Once that was down, we had all DPS switch to Halfus. I released Scion and just off-tanked it without trying to kill it. That gave the +50% damage to Halfus and reduced overall damage to the raid. Once I got a threat lead I just dragged it over to the boss and DPSed on him as well. It wouldn't have been too bad if not for the PuG mage we had that couldn't figure out how to blink and interupt the shadow nova at the end EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Reading some of these posts, sounds like we could have released both and just had the druid pick up one.

Side note: If you have a couple paladins but no mage, you can BoP people through the stun so they can interrupt as well. We had me and a ret, so we BoP'ed 2 other DPS and he could bubble through one as well to interrupt.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Dragonforge » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 am

So, on our 10 and 25 man attempts I have been the primary Halfus tank due to how I string my abilities with the healing debuff. My strategy is as follows, I pull Halfus away from the raid, just me and the interrupters. I let the debuff stack to about 6-7 and pop my first Guardian. When my stacks reach about 13-14 (depending on the healers feedback) I pop my bubble macro:

/cast Hand of Protection
/cancelaura Hand of Protection
/cast Hand of Reckoning

or

/cast Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Hand of Reckoning

and clear my debuff stacks. Usually we have made it through our drake/drakes by this time and I may be back up to 7ish stacks of the debuff and me and the OT fall into a taunt rotation. It's worked beautifully so far, we just need to eek out a bit more DPS to beat the enrage and I think releasing the 3rd drake will be our answer.
Dragonforge

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)