with only 115k life ..

my stats currently are 10.5% dodge 11.6% parry and 42% block

here is my armory
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/joxxer/simple
Fath

Re: stats for tanking heroics

Postby Aerron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Is that 115 buffed or unbuffed?

I've just started heroics myself, so they're a challenge atm, but no one in my guild has complained yet about my tanking or squishiness. My stats are about the same as yours with maybe a tiny bit more block. My buffed health is usually in the 124k range.

I'd chalk it up to a healer who's lucked into tanks on the outer curve of the Heroic swing. For those of us entering the other side, you sound fine to me.
Aerron

Postby Fath » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm

im actually now at 117k unbuffed .. not my guild complaining just this one healer in a random ..
even though we cleared the dungeon fine .. he was all over my case saying he cant even heal someone
with 115k health
Fath

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Your response to him should have been, "If you were a good healer you could." Or, "Wow, the last fifteen healers I did heroics with had no problems. Why are you?"

If your guild isn't having problems with you and you're clearing the content you're attempting, then you're fine for what you're doing.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:17 pm

I started heroics with 101k health and my healer had 103k health. (Embarrassing, but true.) It hurts harder, sure, but it's not "unhealable".
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Powdur » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 pm

I think when I first hit 85 I was at about 119k hp unbuffed. I rarely ran dungeons before 85 and most of my gear was from quest rewards. I was at a 322 or so ilvl when I dinged, so I couldn't quite get into heroics (ilvl 329), but if you are able to queue for heroics, im curious as to how your hp is that low? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, because i've gone on my mage in heroics with tanks at 110k hp and cleared fine, it just seems odd to me that it wasn't higher since you were able to queue for heroics. But that's neither here nor there, just a thought. I agree with everyone else, that healer was probably used to tanks that had been chaining heroics for a while and didn't have to work as hard, then they got upset when they actually had to heal a tank that was geared for THAT content, not entry level raids. I think you're fine. I find the cool thing about being a tank, if I random into a group with players like that, I can just leave, wait a few minutes for the CD, then inst-queue up faster than they can find another tank...So they probably shouldn't bad mouth you :P
Powdur

Postby Fath » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Hey

you can see my gear in my armory link in the first post. I hit 85 without going to
twilight highlands .. im planning on clearing it tomorrow .. i dunno why my hp is
so low .. i do not have stamina trinkets .. havent been lucky with the drops in stone core
Fath

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Stamina trinkets are thin on the ground, so I would not rely on them.

As you have done some heroics with no problems, I would say you have enough HPs. Skill>gear for heroics imo.

However, it does look like you could upgrade your gear a lot. Have a look at Yappo's failsafe guide and Digren's gearing guide - there's a fair amount of non-heroic upgrades available for you.

Maybe the armory does not show it, but I can't see many enchants on your gear. Nor BS gem sockets on wrist and hands.

It's harsh, but I think PUGs often expect tanks to be geared the best they can be. I confess that's also my philosophy, although I know not everyone has the time to grind out every little upgrade and some have the skill not to need to.
econ21

Postby Kyoshkin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:50 pm

If you can tank heroics at 115k - you're definately a baaaaaad man!

I'm at 138k and die on trash in most heroics (forget the bosses) - so more power to you!
Kyoshkin

Postby Arcand » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 am

Kyoshkin wrote:If you can tank heroics at 115k - you're definately a baaaaaad man!

I'm at 138k and die on trash in most heroics (forget the bosses) - so more power to you!

I used to kick myself for never thinking to hit my defensive cooldowns - no more. Now I find myself hitting them quite regularly. :)
Arcand

Postby Hokahey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 am

Speaking from the healing side of the line, if I note sub 120k hp, it does make me "nervous". That being said, most of the horrible crap that eats tanks in heroics is mitigated by smart group play. Interrupts, attentiveness, movement, and sometimes crowd control. Still, higher hp is greater breathing room for bad group play, and bad group play happens a lot in LFD.

Also, keep in mind that part of what a healer is saying when they say the tank is undergeared, they are usually saying they aren't geared/skilled enough to keep the tank alive. So I think its fair to not totally disregard the guy who is trying his first couple of heroics, and has crap for gear himself.
Hokahey

Postby Chasey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 am

Did a guild run minus the healer yesterday in HoO, I was kind of shocked at the actions of my guildies. Ret pally, DK and lock. Me and Shammy heals. I'm sitting at 152k hp's and decent gear (pre-raids) but I marked targets and said CC go. The ret said "CC's a crutch just pull" This is the 1st 4 pull with the big mob that fire blasts you. The lock goes ahead and pulls w/o me expecting it. We got thru it after losing the DK and lock but me the ret pally and healer stayed up.
Group says to the healer, "get better" he responds with "you guys can CC, plz use it"
We get thru the first sets of trash and die on a trash pull w/the 1 big guy and 3 smaller ones and they vote kick the healer.

I'm at 152k, we had 12k DPS average and the healer was OoM every pull due to no CC and no intrupts. BTW the DK (who I dont know well) never had my target and was pulling aggro all over the place.

Just a tad of gear and people want the Wrath model back.

That being said, most of the horrible crap that eats tanks in heroics is mitigated by smart group play. Interrupts, attentiveness, movement, and sometimes crowd control.

Total truth.
Chasey

Postby Forgrim » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:18 am

Chasey wrote:Did a guild run minus the healer yesterday in HoO, I was kind of shocked at the actions of my guildies. Ret pally, DK and lock. Me and Shammy heals. I'm sitting at 152k hp's and decent gear (pre-raids) but I marked targets and said CC go. The ret said "CC's a crutch just pull" This is the 1st 4 pull with the big mob that fire blasts you. The lock goes ahead and pulls w/o me expecting it. We got thru it after losing the DK and lock but me the ret pally and healer stayed up.
Group says to the healer, "get better" he responds with "you guys can CC, plz use it"
We get thru the first sets of trash and die on a trash pull w/the 1 big guy and 3 smaller ones and they vote kick the healer.

I'm at 152k, we had 12k DPS average and the healer was OoM every pull due to no CC and no intrupts. BTW the DK (who I dont know well) never had my target and was pulling aggro all over the place.

Just a tad of gear and people want the Wrath model back.

That being said, most of the horrible crap that eats tanks in heroics is mitigated by smart group play. Interrupts, attentiveness, movement, and sometimes crowd control.

Total truth.

Man, I marked targets in a PUG once and it was the healer who said, and i quote verbatim, "The storming of the beaches of Normandy had less planning than this."

Impatient people...

Sadly, your situation is with guildies, and all my guildies and I are pretty close friends and have some sort of second intuition of what others are thinking. I pull skull, and every other target is incapacitated near instantaneous.

And back to topic, i started tanking heroics with 125k health, but 30-34% block, and same parry and dodge. Just liberal use of all your CD's, and you'll be fine.
Forgrim

Postby Fath » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am

well i upgraded a few pieces and im up to 122k unbuffed .. normally wih the priest buff and some others i get to around 142k .. i normally cc and we interrupt .. makes pulls so much easier .. yea i really to need to level up my jcing and bsing .. need to socket .. windwalk enchant on my server is like 8-13k ..
should have my epic tanking back piece after one more run .. ill definitely check out the guild though

i believe its more about play style .. even if i had 200k life .. if the groups didnt cc and i tanked em all i doubt the healer could keep me up .. but with cc and me using cooldowns i do alright
Fath

Postby Arcand » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 am

Hokahey wrote:Also, keep in mind that part of what a healer is saying when they say the tank is undergeared, they are usually saying they aren't geared/skilled enough to keep the tank alive.

This makes me wonder how often you play healers - there are absolutely some tanks who have small health pools and get the crap kicked out of them on every pull, and worse yet their poor stats are highly correlated with poor SA and failure to interrupt/use defensive cooldowns.

One ends up a better tank by taking that criticism on the chin instead of trying to deflect it onto the healer.
Arcand

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents