Remove Advertisements

Do absorb shields works pre or post mitigation?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Do absorb shields works pre or post mitigation?

Postby RichoDemus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:16 am

I remember that back in vanilla, they changed so that shields worked pre-mitigation, making them really weak on targets with high armor. Have they changed that now so that armor and DR-talents work with shields? Otherwise that would severely undervalue disc priests and our (Holy Paladins) Mastery.

Can anyone shed some Light?
RichoDemus

Re: Do absorb shields works pre or post mitigation?

Postby Chicken » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 am

The change back in vanilla was in fact to make absorption effects work post-mitigation, and they've continued to be post-mitigation since.
Chicken

Postby RichoDemus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:21 am

oh, thanks for clearing that up
RichoDemus

Postby Treck » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Ive noticed some strange blocks on the trash before Ascendant Council, where the air elementals put up a debuff that gives you 100% less armor.
Seeing 110k hits with a 15k block.
I would assume thats just a buggy debuff tho.
Treck

Postby theothersteve7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Treck wrote:Ive noticed some strange blocks on the trash before Ascendant Council, where the air elementals put up a debuff that gives you 100% less armor.

I was originally taken aback by this possibility but I realize now that it must just be a peculiarity of that specific debuff. If that were the case with all buff and debuffs, we'd take only 10% damage on a blocked hit with Gank up.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby benebarba » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:33 am

here's something I haven't been able to find a good answer to:

Where do abilities like the mana generation from Sanctuary fit in (i.e. does the dodge/block come first so it gets triggered)? It may be my imagination, but I swear I have more mana issues with Disc priests... but it would seem a terrible idea if that were the case (and wowpedia seems to have some conflicting information about this).
benebarba

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:49 am

Treck wrote:Ive noticed some strange blocks on the trash before Ascendant Council, where the air elementals put up a debuff that gives you 100% less armor.

Sounds like the same issue that was going on with Anub adds. Damaging Attack->Combat Roll->Debuff Applied to result of the attack
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Chicken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:47 pm

benebarba wrote:here's something I haven't been able to find a good answer to:

Where do abilities like the mana generation from Sanctuary fit in (i.e. does the dodge/block come first so it gets triggered)? It may be my imagination, but I swear I have more mana issues with Disc priests... but it would seem a terrible idea if that were the case (and wowpedia seems to have some conflicting information about this).
You definitely still avoid/block attacks when an absorption shield is on you; I fondly remember being able to tank some mobs in Ulduar without needing to swap tanks for their stacking debuff, as a combination of avoidance, blocking and power word: shield ensured their debuff never actually stacked. There could be a bug with sanctuary not triggering when you block an attack with an absorb shield active though, or something else along those lines.
Chicken

Return to Basic Training & Talents