Remove Advertisements

Hit Rating Or No?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Hit Rating Or No?

Postby Carbonite » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:57 am

I read somewhere that you need to have a hit cap of 931 when you are a tank... is this still true? I am level 85 and am still running normal cata dungeons until I reach the min item level for heroics... My hit rating is only 369 at this point.... should I be reforging items for hit rating or just let it come naturally with new items?

Here is my armory link.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... ite/simple
Carbonite

Re: Hit Rating Or No?

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:09 pm

This is no longer true, and especially not the case for current gear levels.

Many of us are tanking current end-game content with less than 2% hit. Taunt (apparently) can no longer miss, so there is even less incentive to gear for threat at this time.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Carbonite » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Perfect! So I should just take the hit rating as it comes with gear and not seek it out? What is a good number range to be at with Hit Rating?

Thanks for quick reply fuzzygeek!
Carbonite

Postby Treck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Carbonite wrote:Perfect! So I should just take the hit rating as it comes with gear and not seek it out? What is a good number range to be at with Hit Rating?

Thanks for quick reply fuzzygeek!

Tbh, you will be fine ignoring it completely, only time you will really notice it is if avs misses and cant silence whatever your throwing it on.
Treck

Postby Carbonite » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply as this will now save me a bunch of time to now not worry about it!

Cheers!
Carbonite

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Personally I reforge hit into mastery or parry or dodge. I didn't bother reforging during the leveling process at all.

At the moment I have 1.86% hit.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:30 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Personally I reforge hit into mastery or parry or dodge. I didn't bother reforging during the leveling process at all.

While that is nice and all in terms of getting rid of smth less usefull, into something more usefull, the problem comes when you got shitloads of dodge/parry and just a tiny bit of hit.
You want to reforge the hit into mastery and ger more towards "unhitability", when most of the time it turns out that reforging away from dodge/parry into mastery, will give you even more towards "unhitability".
This is obviously not true for every piece of gear, but its quite common for smth to have 200dodge and 70hit.
Reforging the dodge into mastery will give you a lot more than the hit, even if your not really sacrificing anything to get it.
Treck

Postby Carbonite » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 am

I have since reforged my items as per your suggestions... take a look and let me know what ya think....
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... e/advanced

Cheers!
Carbonite

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Treck brings up an excellent point. The two bits of equipment this comes most into play are the JP shoulders and pants. Reforging dodge->mastery vs hit->mastery (both pieces have much more dodge rating than hit rating) is a difference of .3% towards the hit cap.

Your ring I'd go for master vs dodge. You'd get slightly better results on your mace going dodge->mastery. Your bracers as well.

We're talking on the order of tenths of a percent, so it's not a big deal at your current level of content.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Vaxas » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:20 am

I'm glad you posted this. I was going to post something similar. Through out my lvling and gearing up process I have been noticing a very large number of Avg shield miss's (Notably my shield bouncing crazy all over) I have not kept track but it seems to be happening more and more. I was gonna try a couple dps rings to see if that helped. And as I have just now really gotten my gear to be mostly raid ready I have not reforged anything yet.

So in conclusion either I am missing more then ever or its just in my head lol
(gonna try a couple dps +hit +exp rings)

Heres my armory btw

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... xas/simple
Vaxas

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 am

As you level the rating/level changes will hit you really very hard, especially if you were used to being hit/xpt capped. Also if you're looking at hit/xpt rings you're missing the point of this thread.

Granted, gearing is dependent on the level of content you are doing, and the people you are tanking for.

For progression raid tanking? Hit/Xpt not much of an issue. Survivability is.

Dungeon tanking? By all means, wear all the DPS gear you like and make the healer work harder. The time saved from increasing the tank's dps might possibly offset the time the healer spends drinking (depending on the flavor of healer), or it might not. I suspect, however, the time lost from a single wipe would overwrite the time savings from half a dozen dungeons.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Aerron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Next phase of this discussion:

Do you guys think Hit/Exp will be the method the Devs use in Cata to scale our Threat with increasingly better geared DPS?

IE, as raid DPS goes up each tier, we'll need to increase Hit and Exp to keep up?

Makes sense to me. If we need ~2% hit for T11 content, maybe ~5% for T12, maxed out at 8% for T13 ... etc etc.
Aerron

Postby Vaxas » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:25 pm

They pretty much future proofed our threat with Vengeance. we have no problem out threating, they can nerf it. Cant keep up they can buff it. Of course that skill only really shines in long fights (Raid bosses) quick trash we kinda still gotta rely on snap threat / taunts.

Oh and to clear up my earlier post fuzzygeek, of course Survivability is my bread and butter and I'm not trying to pump out more dps.

I have just seen my shield (is what I have noticed) miss a alarming amount of times lately. At least 2 pulls per heroic I ll start the pull with a shield too a caster that then...miss's. Is it a mess? Sure. Do we recover fine? Every time. Its getting very Annoying is all.

A related note. I'm pretty sure I'm hit capped against lvl 80 elites, but in Heroic UP silvia aorrowgrave activates today and I toss the shield up....Miss..
Vaxas

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:52 pm

I suspect those annoying shield misses are like the one person in the audience who does not clap - we fixate on them, ignoring the many other cases that meet our approval.

They certainly annoy the heck out of me. Consequently, I haven't reforged any threat stats, although I probably should.
econ21

Postby Sur-Pseudo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm

econ21 wrote:I suspect those annoying shield misses are like the one person in the audience who does not clap - we fixate on them, ignoring the many other cases that meet our approval.

They certainly annoy the heck out of me. Consequently, I haven't reforged any threat stats, although I probably should.

Most likely..

Checked my log for tonight, +2% hit, 110 casts, 0 misses...

Even if there was 3-4 misses, it would still be fixating

And Tuesday, ~205 casts, 10 misses...

>.> so, it is, as expected, following normal hit rules ;-)
Sur-Pseudo

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice