Blacksmithing/Smelting Very Noob Questions.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Blacksmithing/Smelting Very Noob Questions.

Postby Discus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 am

The time has finally come to level my Blacksmithing. Can anyone point me of direction of a (work accessible if possible) Cataclysm Blacksmithing guide? Not a fastest way to 525 one just answers to who sells what recipes where.

If not some basic questions I have are:

• Can I make folded/hardened obsidium or are they alchemy transmutes? I’m 525 mining but can’t find these in my list or are they blacksmithing talents? If so where do I learn these? Similar the new belt buckles, who sells the recipe? Trainer in Ironforge doesn’t have.

• I’ve noticed on other threads people mention bloodied/ornate pyrium recipes being available in Twilight Highlands. Are these from the local Blacksmith or based on Wildhammer Reputation? Is there a list anywhere of all recipe vendors and reputations required anywhere?

Thanks, I know these are really basic questions but I’ve focused on levelling/gearing and ignored smithing to this point.
Discus

Re: Blacksmithing/Smelting Very Noob Questions.

Postby Njall » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:59 am

Discus wrote:The time has finally come to level my Blacksmithing. Can anyone point me of direction of a (work accessible if possible) Cataclysm Blacksmithing guide? Not a fastest way to 525 one just answers to who sells what recipes where.

Crafter's tome has complete list of all recipes and vendors. It is visible in google cache. Has the who, the what, and "Good God! the how many bars??!?!"

http://wow.crafterstome.com/recipes/blacksmithing.html

If not some basic questions I have are:

• Can I make folded/hardened obsidium or are they alchemy transmutes? I’m 525 mining but can’t find these in my list or are they blacksmithing talents? If so where do I learn these? Similar the new belt buckles, who sells the recipe? Trainer in Ironforge doesn’t have.

Yes. It's the basic Cata BS mat adn you learn it at 425 or thereabouts - a good 'we will use this item later' skill up if you're down in that region.

Many of the really good BS recipes are hidden behind phasing in Twilight Highlands. They require hardened elementium bars and pyrium bars to purchase. Crafter's Tome has a complete list of these and their prices.

• I’ve noticed on other threads people mention bloodied/ornate pyrium recipes being available in Twilight Highlands. Are these from the local Blacksmith or based on Wildhammer Reputation? Is there a list anywhere of all recipe vendors and reputations required anywhere?

Phasing. Once you do the first few quests in TH (secure the base), the vendors appear. Crafter's tome has all that info on a per-craft and per-recipe basis.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Linkey and "English is hard"
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks, that's just what I was after I'll have a look at Crafters when I get home.

Yes. It's the basic Cata BS mat adn you learn it at 425 or thereabouts - a good 'we will use this item later' skill up if you're down in that region.

I'm 450 Blacksmithing/mining and can't find it nor find where to learn it? (it being hardened or folded obsidium)

Thanks for info on Twilight Vendors - I've mostly completed the TH so will try later.
Discus

Postby Aerron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 am

I learned it from the trainer in Dalaran, but I'm pretty sure the ones in Stormwind and elsewhere have it too. It can be easily overlooked as it's stuck in amongst a bunch of WotLK stuff

If you're like me, and only learn the items that are easy skill-ups, or that you actually want, it can be easy to miss the 425 Folded Obsidium in the list. Alternatively, if you're one of the crafters that just grabs all the available patterns, maybe you just assumed it was low-level crap and grabbed it without realizing what it was? Dunno.

If you have it, it should be listed under one of the sub-sets ... I forget, maybe parts or metal & stone, or something like that.
Aerron

Postby Njall » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 am

Discus wrote:
I'm 450 Blacksmithing/mining and can't find it nor find where to learn it? (it being hardened or folded obsidium)

Thanks for info on Twilight Vendors - I've mostly completed the TH so will try later.

All blacksmith trainers will teach it. Period. Orgrimar. SW. Dalaran. Even the ones in Shattrath. You've either already learned it or have it filtered out. At your skill level, it will not show up as a possible skill up - I believe it goes gray around 440. I would suggest getting some obsidum bars and whatever else folded obsidum requires and seeing if the "available mats" filter helps.

Again, check the list on Crafters Tome for correct names and the exact locations of all recipes. The nice thing about that site is that it differentiates between vendors, trainers, rep-rewards, specific drops, and world drops.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

good to know im not the only one here that uses kaliopes website

as long as you have some obsidian bars, just filter: have mats and that should bring the folded up under BS
the hardened is a higher level skill though

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Discus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:47 pm

I learnt all available BS recipes/patterns from the SW trainer last night in case it was hidden between recipes I'd not bothered learning in WoTLK. At 450 it must be grey and I must be overlooking it, I'll re check when I log on later, thanks.

So hardenened obsidium/elementium is an alchemy transmute on a cooldown?
Discus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Discus wrote:So hardenened elementium is an alchemy transmute on a cooldown?

No, it's smelted by miners.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Discus wrote:
So hardenened obsidium/elementium is an alchemy transmute on a cooldown?

Hardened Elementium is a mining recipe learned at 450-475 or so.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:44 pm

I just use Wowhead to get lists of crafting patterns, and it will generally tell you "trainer" or "vendor" next to the spell. If the vendors are in one zone it will tell you the zone, and you can always click through and see exactly who sells the patterns. Unfortunately the BS listing is broken at the moment. All the trainer recipes are listed as trainable at 425, which is not true. The "turns yellow" level is correct though, if you're planning out your path.

For BS it's trainer recipes through until 510, then everything is from a vendor in your faction's stronghold in Twilight Highlands. You have to pay him in Elementium Bar, Pyrium Bar, or Hardened Elementium Bar. Expect to pay up to 350g or more per recipe (depending on server, of course).

Hardened Elementium is annoying me at the moment. I don't have a miner and there's a hefty mark-up on these at the AH (about 130g in bars/volatiles, selling the finished product for 200g). I really need to transfer my miner or do some favours for a guildie.
rodos

Postby Discus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks all - found the Twilight Highlands vendor and folded obsidium recipes.

It's now dawning on me how expensive levelling Blacksmithing is going to be and I'm now wondering whether it's worth it at this stage. As a casual player I've traditional used smithing during each expansion as a way of getting entry level epics to give me a boost in heroics/10 mans.

Given the orbs that you need to make the epics are now BoP (and presumably drop in Heroics?) it may not be so easy. I suppose a critical question is whether I have to be a 525 Blacksmith to be able to roll on the orbs in heroics or will I be able to roll as a 450 Blacksmith?
Discus

Postby Njall » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:31 am

As noted in another thread, Chaos Orbs are now only visible to those who can use them (e.g. BS, LW, Engy, Tailor w/425+ skill). And yes, they only drop in heroics. However, BS will very much help with providing you with the interim gear you need to get into heroics.

Obsidium Ore and Elementium ore are dirt cheap now. The costs are relatively small, even compared to two weeks ago.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Prices are dropping a lot on the base ores, and also a bit on some of the volatiles. BS will still be expensive to level to 525, and also somewhat annoying. If you don't have orbs, getting past 510 requires making the PvP items, which take 8-12 Elementium Bar and 10 Volatile Fire or Water per item, and provide only a single skill point. On my server you're still looking at about 1500 for each 5 point gain. The "leveling" patterns in that range - belt, boots, shoulders - are all dumped on the AH at a below production cost.

Getting 525 might net you some profit from the non-leveling PvP patterns and the new belt buckles. Maybe Pyrium Shield Spike too, but I'm not sure how well those sell.
rodos

Postby thegreatheed » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 am

Njall wrote:
Obsidium Ore and Elementium ore are dirt cheap now. The costs are relatively small, even compared to two weeks ago.

Maybe on your server >.< Elementium ore is still 150-180g a stack for me.

But I bit the bullet and hit 525 and crafted my shield, hurray!
thegreatheed

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:52 pm

thegreatheed wrote:
Njall wrote:

Maybe on your server >.< Elementium ore is still 150-180g a stack for me.

But I bit the bullet and hit 525 and crafted my shield, hurray!

gratz

obsidium was over 175 last night and elementium was over 120
granted that is compared to >300g stacks from 2 weeks ago, but still not cheap enough to buy bulk just to level JC and BS

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents