Remove Advertisements

UI and other help requested

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

UI and other help requested

Postby Reejin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:34 pm

Hello folks,

I am lower end tank, old, senile, can't multitask worth a darn and get easily confused by busy UIs. That said I do enjoy playing the game. I do have DPS characters however the grandpa in me wants to help the people in my guild even if it is just to give them a leg up towards raiding by tanking instances for them.

I looked a Doxa's you tube video on new tanking, I have read you FAQ and many other posts. I think I can handle tanking I am asking about UI and perhaps keybindings and/or macros that will make tanking as "for dummies" as possible. I have looked at addons like xperl and once I opened up the config menu I was completely lost, I am sure it can do Many many amazing thing but all I got it to do was to make things disappear and not be able to get them back..:). In other words I have a difficult time customizing addons, if I do get a few I don't play around with them much and mostly I use the UI the game came with.

I have however sort of figured out Healbot for tanking..:)(with the patient help of a few Very bored guildies) I have it set up that I can click on a name and atleast do one of the taunts (I think the other one you have to target the mob vice the player which I find tricky, any help with that is also appreciated), another button will put salv on the member.

Now I know that most of you are hardcore (and some very high level mathematicians/engineers), however, in the Christmas new years spirit if you could dumb it down and help an old guy with slow fingers take the challenge (which I understand is why people play the game) out of the game.

Hopefully this post does not get riddled with geriatric jokes that are usually in poor taste

Regards
Reejin

Re: UI and other help requested

Postby Xkonvikt » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 am

Ok, my advice to you is to get Lui @ http://www.wow-lui.com/ it is a very clean UI. All you have to do after you install it is log in and click the install button that's it. It will adjust to your screen reso automatically. I would also get QuickMark & TaunMaster. That is all you need.
Anything other then that is just fluff which is unneeded. GL :D
Xkonvikt

Postby snoweagle » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:25 am

hey there,

healbot was my first change of raidframes, and it worked for me for a long time, so if its working for you then no reason not to use it.

The best advice i can give is to work out a specific problem that you want to solve with a change to your ui, and then focus on just that problem, that way you can put on the blinkers and ignore all the crasy options you'll see and dont need to use.

The trick is doing it 1 piece at a time.

when there's some thorn in your side in instance runs, identify it and see if a change in ui will solve it, usually light googling or asking guildies (or people in here in the ui forum) should get you an answer.

as a hypothetical example, perhaps you may find you're annoyed by how long it takes to mark up packs. have a search for marking on a site like http://www.curse.com, and see if any of the addons that pop up are the answer to the issue, maybe another tank in your guild already has a marking setup they use, they should be able to help you setup something similar if it works for you. Many people will offer up a suggested addon that 'is the best' for what you're asking. take that with a grain of salt. Most of the time they mean that it works well for them, which may or may not be true for you. Try stuff for yourself.

as for keybindings, priority=proximity. The important abilities should be the quickest/easiest to reach with your hands, the rest is up to what you find important and where you can fit your buttons. also persistence is a plus after you change ui/keybindings. Muscle memory will be rewritten with time, but the distance between keys or how far your eyes have to move won't change, so hang in there with what your brain knows to be a more efficient setup, even if your hands object to the change.

Practicing 30 mins with training dummies in a major city is a great way to get some of these changes down without having to do live runs 'from zero'.
snoweagle
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:35 am

snoweagle wrote:Practicing 30 mins with training dummies in a major city is a great way to get some of these changes down without having to do live runs 'from zero'.

After that, run some lowbies through a trivial-to-you dungeon to get used to the combination of your new UI, moving targets, and daft DPS. :)
Arcand

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:41 am

Xkonvikt wrote:Ok, my advice to you is to get Lui @ http://www.wow-lui.com/ it is a very clean UI. All you have to do after you install it is log in and click the install button that's it. It will adjust to your screen reso automatically. I would also get QuickMark & TaunMaster. That is all you need.

I installed that, used it for a day then kept the Bartender config and tossed the rest of it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Flipthebird » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:55 am

Xkonvikt wrote:Ok, my advice to you is to get Lui @ http://www.wow-lui.com/ it is a very clean UI. All you have to do after you install it is log in and click the install button that's it. It will adjust to your screen reso automatically. I would also get QuickMark & TaunMaster. That is all you need.

Looking to download this when I get home.

Question: Can you move the minimap around?
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby Kyoshkin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm

I installed wow-lui. It looks interesting, but I can't seem to figure out how to make my target's cast bars bigger and to make my debuffs more pronounced. I'm having issues with the paralyze mechanic in stonecore, and i'd like to see what's out there to improve it.
Kyoshkin

Postby Kale » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:21 am

Flipthebird wrote:Looking to download this when I get home.

Question: Can you move the minimap around?

In the current build, no you can't. There are a few minor things that need to be fixed, but the author is busy so updates are a little sparse atm. None of those little things bother me or ever get in the way when I'm tanking. You can always disable the Minimap (Options - General - Modules Tab - click the minimap button) and use your own map addon. I prefer sexymap because, well, it's sexy.

Kyoshkin wrote:I installed wow-lui. It looks interesting, but I can't seem to figure out how to make my target's cast bars bigger and to make my debuffs more pronounced. I'm having issues with the paralyze mechanic in stonecore, and i'd like to see what's out there to improve it.

To adjust your personal debuffs, go to Options - Auras - Debuff Tab. The slider at the very top will allow you to increase the icon size of your debuffs. You can also adjust the 'Debuffs X Value' which controls the anchor position. Increasing that number will push them to the right, further away from the edge of the screen, even as far as the middle of the screen if that's what you prefer.

Castbars are a little hidden. They're in 2 separate positions, depending on which you want to adjust. Your castbar is in Options - UnitFrames - Player - Castbar tab. Target is also under unitframes, under, you guessed it, target. There are all sorts of options there like positioning, colors, textures, fonts, etc. you can adjust.

-

Getting back onto the topic at hand, lest people confuse this for the Addon board, the best advice I can offer our senior citizen here would be simply to try as many things as you can. Maybe try typing 'Jitterbug' into curse and see what pops up. Seriously, though, there is no single addon or UI setup I could recommend. I all falls down to personal preference. I prefer a clean, streamlined aesthetic when tanking, myself, but some of the other tanks in my guild have these crazy, super-cluttered and confusing UIs that make my brain hurt just looking at screenshots. But, you know, they work perfectly for them. One thing I will say about LUI, the aesthetic of it is very clean and simple, however the configs can be a little daunting. There are tons of menus and submenus and tabs to work through to adjust dozens of tiny little things. I used Xperl for a long time, and I really loved it. I would have no problems recommending that as a UI replacement, it's a lot easy to configure, lots of clicking and dragging to move things where you want. Bartender and Dominos are both excellent Actionbar replacements, and are easy to setup. Grid is wonderful for raidframes, but honestly, the new blizzard raid frames are honestly quite good, too. Especially for tanking when you don't rely on them as much as, say, a healer.

Anyway, that's about all I have to offer. If you find an addon you like, feel free to send me a message if there's something specific you're looking to do with it, or if you simply need help configuring it. I have a lot of free time on my hands, lol.
ImageImage
Kale

Return to Basic Training & Talents