Remove Advertisements

Confused about my damage output.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Confused about my damage output.

Postby Joaxen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:47 am

Hi there

Today i did a heroic guild going as dps even though i'm tank specced and was using my tanking gear. Our tank was our other Paladin tank in the guild. I checked Recount frequently to see how i was doing and i realised i was doing way lower damage than him.

After the run i checked every major spell that he was using and realised that every Judgement, Crusader strike, Hotr and SotR is doing atleast 2k more damage than mine on average. After the instance i went to do some testing at dummys and even with wings and inquisition i didnt get the same numbers.

We are both pretty much equally geared, both using the same weapon, so i dont really have any idea why there is that much of an difference.

Some number:

Crusader strike average damage:
6700, 13500 crits

Me on lvl 85 dummys with Wings:
5200 average damage.

HotR Average damage:
4400, 7200 crits

Me on lvl 85 dummys wih Wings and Inquisition:
3800, 3700 crits

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... nor/simple

I just can't understand why my damage is so much lower, so i was hoping anyone perhaps could tell the reason why...
Joaxen

Re: Confused about my damage output.

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:53 am

If how I interprted it, you going as DPS in tank spec/gear then the answer is Vengeance.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby cerwillis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 am

Most likely, you were seeing vengeance at work. If he was taking the moajority of the damage, he was getting an AP buff from incoming damage. All tanks have this mechanic.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Joaxen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 am

Does every ability that you use in the main rotation scale with attack power. And also his average damage on nearly all spells are way higher than mine even when i am tanking myself. For example his highest SotR crits was nearly 50k, myself i've never seen a crit above 30k. And both his singeltarget and aoe dps was higher then i've ever had a tank.
Joaxen

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 am

Every ability (except, I believe, Holy Wrath) scales with attack power. I'd chime in that it was Vengeance at work.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Gab » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:04 am

The other tank having a higher damage ShoR was probably due to higher Vengeance, Inquisition being up when he cast the ShoR, or Avenging Wrath. Or more likely a combination of two or even all three of these things. Seen some 80k+ ShoR crits (while tanking raid bosses) with a decent Vengeance stack, Inquisition and AW.

Repeating what the above posters have said, it's probably an issue with Vengeance. Although it could have something to do with his spec or glyphs.

Long time lurker, just wanted to say thanks to everyone that make this site such a great one!
Gab

Postby Jaitee » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

theothersteve7 wrote:Every ability (except, I believe, Holy Wrath) scales with attack power. I'd chime in that it was Vengeance at work.

i think they gave holy wrath some ap scaling its still pretty poor scaling...may be wrong i just had a look around and couldnt find the scaling of it but im sure i read (maybe a blue post) saying they added some ap scaling to it so that it scales with vengeance
Jaitee

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Jaitee wrote:i think they gave holy wrath some ap scaling

They didn't. It only scales with spellpower.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Basic Training & Talents