Who can CC what

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Who can CC what

Postby Invisusira » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Eltiana wrote:Frost DKs have Hungering Cold though I know that barely counts as CC lol.

SPARKLEBOX
Invisusira

Postby Arcand » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:14 am

Eltiana wrote:Druids do have Hibernate. Frost DKs have Hungering Cold though I know that barely counts as CC lol.

Cyclone, too, if you've really got to interrupt a cast.

For that matter, the annoying moonkin knockback thing will stop a cast if you've got nothing else.
Arcand

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:28 am

I'd just like to note that Mind Control is frequently stupidly overpowered. I tank with my girlfriend priesting in the same room, so we have easy, rapid communication. Some things to note.

In Throne of the Tides, you can MC one murloc and watch as all the others in a pack blow their opening nuke on it. Then run in and tank the weakened result.

In Deadmines, mind controlling the casters allows you to buff party members with Renegade Strength.

In HoO, MCing the archers results in >10k dps by spamming "shoot".

The dryads in from of Ammunae can be made to cast Tranquility on the party. A special NPC Tranquility, which heals for about five times as much as normal.

The list goes on. I would expect a nerf if this were more widespread, but few seem to have caught on.

You can do other, more general tricks too. For instance, you can pull aggro on a dangerous mob and watch as they wail on each other. You can sometimes MC a mob that has gotten loose and entered the AoE. I don't know if this works anymore, but in Vortex Pinnacle she was MCing mobs and jumping them off the edge.

I highly recommend encouraging any priests you know to experiment. It's a lot of fun and can produce some impressive results.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Chicken » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:50 am

Rogues can also glyph Sap to heavily increase it's duration with the Glyph of Sap; not sure how commonplace using that is though. Other classes I've noted can easily use such utility for their major glyphs though. Another interesting thing about Sap is that the Sapped mob is incapable of 'detecting' players, so if you have one outlying mob in a group of mobs, sapping him might allow you to skip the mobs entirely.

I've also had my glyphed Fear still pull mobs that patrol close to the Feared target; while they aren't running around drawing mobs to them, they do still "call for help" as a normal Fear does. Entangling Roots would also do so obviously, but with other forms of CC mobs can walk right on top of a CCed mob and not care in the slightest. Fear could also do with a listing of "Works on everything except undead" rather than "Works on nearly every mob". Obviously there's the occasional CC immune mob, but that's not listed for anything else either.
Chicken

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Turn evil might be worth mentioning. I've used it on occasion as it has a long duration. In Cata I've only used it in the sand wing of HoO and the Chaos boss wing but as long as you're making a master list, it's worth mentioning.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Eltiana wrote:Druids do have Hibernate. Frost DKs have Hungering Cold though I know that barely counts as CC lol.

I have to say, I use Hungering Cold more often as an AOE interrupt than a form of CC (though if you aren't having an AOE fest, it can buy a few seconds for the healer to catch up.)

Death Grip also works as an interrupt (but be prepared to tank the mob afterwards if the tank doesn't know that's what you're doing.)

Annoying druid spell as mentioned by Arcand = Typhoon (for Shaman, see Thunder.) I know Shaman can glyph out of the knockback, pretty sure druids can as well, but at that point, it's not longer an interrupt.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:19 am

Also, in regards to renewing Repentance... why not hit it with a quick HoJ in between the two? That should prevent it from moving in that gcd it takes for you to refresh it.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby DisRuptive1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:23 am

The Hunter freezing trap actually lasts for 60 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. A good hunter can potentially CC two different targets.
DisRuptive1

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:49 am

DisRuptive1 wrote:The Hunter freezing trap actually lasts for 60 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. A good hunter can potentially CC two different targets.

Yeah, this also requires them to open with Wyvern Sting (and thus be survival, but who isn't right now?). I had a weird double pull in HoO the other day where the hunter had actually CCed three targets (two traps and another sting) for thirty seconds or so. And of course there's kiting.

Really, almost any group has enough CC for what they need to do. It's more a matter of how easy and efficient its use is. Reminds me of when my old group was joking that Body and Soul was excellent tank mitigation in fights where he can run away.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Darkler » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 am

I recommend the addon PugLax for the "who CC what" solution, both in pugs and guild group.

When the group is created it scans the other players, gets the 5 best CC and lists them with appropriate marker. This can be changed if you want to, then posted with a single click in the party channel. Personally I really like it for doing heroics with pugs, to see that all CC are in the group and to quickly establish who does what :)
Darkler

Postby Tubben » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:52 am

Rogue – Sap: works on humanoids, dragonkin, beasts and demons; lasts 45s; no CD.
Requires some setting up and cannot be reapplied in combat, but now works on most things, including dragonkin.

Rogue Sap last 60 seconds, 140 if glyphed.
Tubben

Postby econ21 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:25 pm

theothersteve7 wrote:
DisRuptive1 wrote:The Hunter freezing trap actually lasts for 60 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. A good hunter can potentially CC two different targets.

Yeah, this also requires them to open with Wyvern Sting (and thus be survival, but who isn't right now?).

Can anyone spell this out a bit more? What can a non-survival hunter do and what can a survival hunter do?

Is freezing trap 60s with a 30s CD for all hunters? If not, what is it for survival and non-survival hunters respectively?

What's the duration and CD of wyvern sting?

Thanks for the clarification.
econ21

Postby theothersteve7 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:50 pm

econ21 wrote:Can anyone spell this out a bit more? What can a non-survival hunter do and what can a survival hunter do?

Is freezing trap 60s with a 30s CD for all hunters? If not, what is it for survival and non-survival hunters respectively?

What's the duration and CD of wyvern sting?

Thanks for the clarification.

Freezing traps are 60s with 30s cooldown for all hunters. Wyvern Sting is a mandatory deep Survival talent (currently the dominant spec) with 30s duration and 60s cooldown.

Thus, you trap one and sting the other. When sting wears off, trap comes off CD, so you can trap the one you stung. You then alternate traps every 30 seconds.

As a tank, just say trap one and sting another. If they don't know what you want them to do, you probably don't want them juggling two CCs anyway.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby majiben » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:26 am

In some cases a Hunter can even CC 3 targets with their freeze trap. They lay down their first trap early and trap their first target just before their CD resets. The first target is frozen for a full minute, during which the hunter can lay down two more traps. This is particularly useful on the undead captain in H SFK. I went in with two hunters and between the two of them, we didn't needed to kill more than the starting adds.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby xstrykr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Goodheart wrote:A warlocks Fear can now function as a normal CC as well against everything but undead, thanks to Glyph of Fear.
Same deal for a priest's Psychic Scream with glyph.

Undead actually CAN be feared by Fear/Howl of Terror/Psychic Scream. It's just that Undead have a higher innate Fear resistance/immunity than other mobs do.

majiben wrote:Turn evil might be worth mentioning. I've used it on occasion as it has a long duration. In Cata I've only used it in the sand wing of HoO and the Chaos boss wing but as long as you're making a master list, it's worth mentioning.

It's great when you couple it with the Glyph of Turn Evil - Instant cast w/ 8s cd is more often than not enough to keep one undead or demon away.
xstrykr

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents