4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Tank Level 2: Geared to Start Raiding

Postby yappo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Digren wrote:
econ21 wrote:Here's what I have put together, drawing from lists for levels 1 and 2:

Heroic ready failsafe list

Neck: [Mountain's Mouth] : Guardians of Hyjal (Honored)

Why this piece, when there are both a Justice Point piece and a JC crafted piece available at iLvl 346? I would consider that a heroic-ready failsafe list could rely on more than 4000 Justice Points, given that you can have 4000 points when you ding 85 and then presumably must spend some number of days at 85 running normals before you are "heroic ready".

Observe that the 4000 JP when dinging 85 will most likely no longer be an option in a month or two (ie the upcoming tanks haven't killed everything in sight in WotLK).
yappo

Re: 4.0.3a Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby econ21 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 am

The pre-heroic failsafe gear set was devised for me and those in the same position - coming from wotlk with a JP cap. But since getting to L85 and not yet running heroics, I have been struck by how starved I am for JP. 70 a day for a daily random is a real come down after drowning in them while running ICC (I got full T10 for all 3 specs, plus both PVP relentless sets). As Yappo says, a long term failsafe pre-heroic list for those levelling new characters should probably include no JP purchase items.

The gear set was theorycrafted from the great gear lists in this forum - in practice, I got to 329 ilevel on day 1 of being 85 with significantly worse gear. I have not yet done the Harrison trinket quest (I used that green diplomacy avoidance trinket instead) and did not know about the agility one. But the strength one features as a good threat trinket in others lists, so in the long term it may be better to acquire a good threat trinket than a mediocre survival one. However, I will wait a while before making that choice.
econ21

Postby Arianne » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:04 am

The random epic belts appear to drop from Council of Four Winds at least. We got two tonight from 10 man - of the Flashfire and of the Earthfall or something like that.
Arianne

Re: Tank Level 2: Geared to Start Raiding

Postby Digren » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:06 am

yappo wrote:
Digren wrote:
econ21 wrote:Here's what I have put together, drawing from lists for levels 1 and 2:

Heroic ready failsafe list

Neck: [Mountain's Mouth] : Guardians of Hyjal (Honored)

Why this piece, when there are both a Justice Point piece and a JC crafted piece available at iLvl 346? I would consider that a heroic-ready failsafe list could rely on more than 4000 Justice Points, given that you can have 4000 points when you ding 85 and then presumably must spend some number of days at 85 running normals before you are "heroic ready".

Observe that the 4000 JP when dinging 85 will most likely no longer be an option in a month or two (ie the upcoming tanks haven't killed everything in sight in WotLK).

Do you not get justice points in the Cata leveling dungeons? I would expect a typical leveler to run each of them once - since I would expect them to have quest reward gear from those dungeons.

How many JP do you get from those? I've been for months so I'm not sure. With the numbers I'll adjust my expectations appropriately.
Digren

Postby Digren » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:08 am

econ21 wrote:The pre-heroic failsafe gear set was devised for me and those in the same position - coming from wotlk with a JP cap. But since getting to L85 and not yet running heroics, I have been struck by how starved I am for JP. 70 a day for a daily random is a real come down after drowning in them while running ICC (I got full T10 for all 3 specs, plus both PVP relentless sets). As Yappo says, a long term failsafe pre-heroic list for those levelling new characters should probably include no JP purchase items.

Oh, 70 a day. Gotcha. Okay then, no more than 1000 JP when you ding 85 it is, then.
Digren

Postby Arianne » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:23 am

In heroics you get 70 JP per boss in the run. I've gotten a full set of Prot gear and am working on Ret gear so far. Heroics are relatively doable with a guild group even when below the level for queueing for the random heroic. We did our first set at ~ilevel 310. All heroics just require a couple of good CC classes, although some require enough DPS at the last boss (for example, Grim Batol has a pretty high DPS requirement).
Arianne

Re: Tank Stage 1: New 85

Postby Digren » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:46 am

For the record, here was my stage 1 gear set, an hour after I turned 85. I started on expansion day in Vash'jir, then did Deepholm up to the Harrison Jones breadcrumb. From there I diverted to Uldum, finishing it out. After that I ran Twilight Highlands until I dinged. I did run a few leveling dungeons (Blackrock Caverns twice, Stonecore and Throne of the Tides once each). Oh, and I crept through half of level 82 via archaeology. My starting gear set was mostly iLvl 264, 25-man ICC normal gear.

Head
    [Sanctified Lightsworn Faceguard]

I just never found a better helm. I had a [False-Face Mask], but honestly given its lack of a meta socket, I just didn't see it as much of an upgrade. I'll get my engineering goggles soon enough.

Neck
    [The Lustrous Eye] : 1250 Justice Points

If I hadn't had the justice points for this, my backup piece was:
    [Cenotaph Choker] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Minions of Al'Akir

Shoulders
    [Pharoah's Burial Spaulders] : Req. Lev. 83 : Ruins of Uldum (Quest)

Back
    [Shroud of the Dead] : Ramkahen (Honored)

Chest
    [Flynn's Favorite Chestplate] : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Doing It Like a Dunwald

Even with the poor haste rating (partially reforged to dodge rating), this offers more stamina, armor, and avoidance+block than the alternative [Gateshattering Hauberk].

Wrists
    [Dunwald's Finest Bindings] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)

Though [Ankh-Inscribed Bracers] were a very close second.

Hands
    [Gloves of Gnomebliteration] : Uldum (Quest)

Waist
    [Girdle of the Mountains] : 1650 Justice Points

If I hadn't had the points for this, my backup piece was:
    [Hevna's Eye Socket] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) The Root of the Corruption

I also have a [Stoutwaist Girdle], but I don't think it's as good. Even reforging the hit rating to mastery it has lower overall avoidance+block, with more of it as block. The ~250 hit points and a fraction of armor doesn't make up for that.

Legs
    [Sunwatcher's Legplates] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) The Scepter of Orsis

To be fair, I quested through Vash'jir on the first day of Cataclysm. A bug prevented most Earthen Ring quests from yielding faction, so I dinged 85 just friendly with them. Had I made honored I would have been wearing [Stone-Wrapped Greaves].

Feet
    [Femurbreak Stompers] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Be Prepared

Fingers
    [Dark-Eye Ring] : Twilight Highlands (Quest) Eye Spy
    [Ashen Band of Endless Courage] : Icecrown Citadel (Quest)

There just weren't many ring upgrade options. I could not even find an [Elementium Moebius Band] on the auction house when I hit 85.

Trinkets
    [Schnotzz's Medallion of Command] : Uldum (Quest) Firing Squad
    [Elementium Dragonling] : BoE Engineering Only

I went with the agility trinket from the Uldum quest over the strength trinket because agility is a better survivability stat. I don't have a ret set nor do I expect to need to build a threat set in the short term.

Weapon
    [Barrel Opener] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)

Shield
    [Truthbreaker Shield] : Stormwind City (Quest)

Relic
    [Namkhare's Cabochon Charm] : Req. Lev. 83 : Uldum (Quest) Lieutenants of Darkness
Digren

Postby oursel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:25 am

According to your maths, reforging mastery is better than avoidance. Ok, but what about enchanting and stuff consideration? Would you go for a full mastery enchanting and geming?
I've seen few tanks with green gems (stamina + mastery) on blue slot instead of +60 stam, wearing also mastery trinkets even if these are not intended for tanking!
Your maths does not take stam into consideration and i'm wonder how to specialize my equipment.

For example, see this profile:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/t ... e/advanced
oursel

Postby lythac » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:16 am

New Theory of Gemming - Stamina vs. Mastery

^ this thread is a current discussion on what you are asking.

It is likely that tanks who are wearing a DPS mastery trinket are only doing so as they have not had a tanking Mastery one drop yet. The JC Mastery trinket is a prime example.

Also for the armory linked we don't know that for their 11/12 boss kills that they weren't wearing sta trinkets and swap to mastery trinkets for 5 man Heroics (but they probably do wear their mastery trinkets for raids).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Digren » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 am

oursel wrote:According to your maths, reforging mastery is better than avoidance. Ok, but what about enchanting and stuff consideration? Would you go for a full mastery enchanting and geming?
I've seen few tanks with green gems (stamina + mastery) on blue slot instead of +60 stam, wearing also mastery trinkets even if these are not intended for tanking!
Your maths does not take stam into consideration and i'm wonder how to specialize my equipment.

For example, see this profile:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/t ... e/advanced

It's frankly too early to tell. These are the key responses about this:
Meloree wrote:I haven't read the whole thread, I'll admit, but it's too early to even have any evidence with which to discuss this. 5-man heroics aren't evidence - they're basically trivial to begin with. They started out easy-but-long with 277 gear, and they're AoE-zerg-fests in 346 gear. Is mitigation/avoidance superior in heroics? Absolutely. It was in Wrath, too, but it didn't matter then, either.

Normal mode raids are unlikely to be EH checks - everyone knew that going in. Nobody has done a heroic on live - we don't know what the EH requirements are going to be, we don't know what the throughput damage is going to be like - we can't make conclusions yet, we can't even make educated guesses.

Patience. The real content is coming, we can talk about it when we have something to talk about.

theckhd wrote:Mel's right, you can't base gemming decisions on heroic 5-mans, unless that is your end-game. Raid bosses can hit for 40-60k unblocked, and healers are having a hell of a time. We're definitely far away from the "stack Stam and nothing else" strategy, but even normal-mode instances should be enough to convince you that we're no closer to "stack nothing but mastery."

You still need a good balance of EH and mitigation/avoidance. My gemming strategy so far has been Stam in blue, parry/stam in red, mastery/stam in yellow. Mastery is such a beastly good stat that once I feel I have enough hit points, those yellow slots may go full mastery. But since there are still bosses that can kill me in 3-4 hits, I'm not there yet.

This is a case where my gem recommendation is based on instinct, because the math just plain doesn't exist yet. As it happens my instinct told me the same thing that Theck's did in the quote above.

If you feel differently in this case, so be it. Do what you wish. This is why I put this line at the top of my item enhancement guide:
Digren wrote:Remember, only you, the experienced tankadin, knows what's best for you given your gear and raid role.

But - when the math or raid experience exists that does indicate one method over another, be prepared to abandon your preconceived "gut" instincts and adopt the new methodology. Sticking to and trying to justify outdated theory despite evidence is really the only bad way to gear.
Digren

Postby rabbitfur » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:37 pm

I had 4k in honor and burned points on chest/gloves since those were my weakest pieces. Thoughts on stop gap pvp honor gear?
rabbitfur

Postby Digren » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:52 am

If you ignore the resilience and the rest of the stats are still an upgrade, and you want to throw away those points on something you'll use for a week, go for it.

I only PVP enough to get pets and mounts, which I consider a better use of points as they don't get thrown away.
Digren

Re: Tank Stage 1: New 85

Postby Digren » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Digren wrote:
    Tank Stage One - Engineer / Enchanter - Survivability Gear

Digren says, "My goal for this set was to build a realistic target for a new 85 tank. Questing through Vash'jir yields enough Earthen Ring faction to buy the greaves once 85; a lucky run through each of Vortex Pinnacle and the Stonecore provide two drop and one quest pieces. One Justice Points piece is included (1250 points), but there are suitable near replacements if you don't have points banked from level 80 play. Everything else comes from Uldum or Twilight Highlands quests."

The Model

"Note that Wowhead still won't let me save a model as level 85, nor does it yet support reforging, nor are the calculations for dodge, parry, or block percent accurate at all. And they are still having problems matching enchant and gem requirements. Overall, though, this is a solid gear set for a new 85 tank."

I've updated this model to reflect what is likely a more realistic example of the gear and enhancements available to a new level 85 tank. Alas, while I can now bump a model up to level 85 on Wowhead, any changes made while level 85 aren't saved. Still, if you hit 85 and have gear about comparable to this set, and you've followed the reforging guide to stack mastery, you should be in good shape to run level 85 normal dungeons.
Digren

Postby Tears12 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:03 am

Does anyone know if there is a list like this for holy gear? This guide was a great help to me and I need to start building my holy set.
Tears12

Postby jekoh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Just my two cents, as I did not read it but maybe I missed
For lvl 3 set, I consider the ret head from justice points : Helm of Easeful Death - http://www.wowhead.com/item=58098

a slight better choice than the tank one in term of avoidance with his 182 mastery + 40 mastery gem bonus and a reforging of haste into dodge, parry or expertise or hit rating
jekoh

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice