[25]Atramedes gong refresh time

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25]Atramedes gong refresh time

Postby superworm » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:38 am

My guild started raiding last week and we have got to Atramedes in BWD at present. We got him to 30% after 2 hours practice, and the problem was that several people were not good at dodging random damage and they would die to searing flame due to high sound. I'm sure that we should be able to make it with more practice, however someone suggested that we ring a gong before the searing flame to clear the sound bar. Then we will need 3 gongs per air+ground phase, assuming we cannot dps him down before the fourth air phase, we will need more than 10 gongs. I heard that in normal mode the gongs will refresh after a period. Does anyone know what's the refresh time? TIA
superworm

Re: [25]Atramedes gong refresh time

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 am

I don't believe the gongs will ever refresh, outside of a wipe.

It's simply a matter of practice =/
Belloc

Postby baff » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:06 am

Belloc wrote:I don't believe the gongs will ever refresh, outside of a wipe.

It's simply a matter of practice =/

They do - not sure about how long till it happens. Yay for over 9 minute kills.
baff

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:31 am

Jeez... that sounds like a bug.
Belloc

Postby Arianne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Old information, now hotfixed. ;)
Last edited by Arianne on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arianne

Postby superworm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 am

After several tests we found that the gongs do refresh. However in normal mode we generally don't need that.

Our strategy works like this: we use 1 gong each air phase and 2 gongs each ground phase (except the first one): one is used to interrupt the first sonic breath and clear the sound bar, and the other is used to interrupt the searing flames. This way the raid damage can be kept at at a very low level. There are totally 10 gongs, so we can have 3 air phases + 4 ground phases with the original gongs. With normal raid dps the boss should be dead before the 4th air phase. However if it doesn't, then the gongs will start refreshing in the 5th ground phase and the fight can be prolonged.
superworm

Postby d503 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:22 am

Arianne wrote:Make sure that you use your sound reset abilities wisely. Divine Shield, Iceblock and Hand of Protection all reset the sound bar currently (maybe some others I'm not aware of?)

Not anymore. 1/3 hotfixes removed ability of immunities from resetting sound.
d503

Postby Thark » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:22 pm

I can also confirm that gongs did refresh.

Last night people took it upon themselves to ring a gong whenever they felt their sound bar was full on our last attempt. We had 2 air phases where we rang at least 2 gongs, 1 ground phase where we rang 3 gongs, another where we rang two, and it was just a mess. Needless to say I was not happy. We wiped at 2% when we ran out of gongs. Total combat time was about 9:15.

I'm not sure what to search for in WOL to confirm it though. Someone linked a recount showing total gong clicks for the night, so we were able to resolve the issue.

If you are smart about it, you can probably easily use 2 per phase, or be generous with using a second when the raid is in trouble.
Thark

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:15 pm

There is an Atramedes mod that will show x-amount of players with the highest sound levels. By default, it shows me the 5 people with the highest amount of sound and the exact amount of sound that they have (numerically). This way you don't need to let people bang the gongs themselves if they think their sound is getting high. I certainly don't like the thought of random people hanging out by the stairs when a breath might be incoming... or, worse, the air phase.

To give you an idea of how useful this can be, I would often hear people saying that their sound is almost maxed when, in reality, it was only at 60%. Granted, 60% is close enough that modulation might end up killing them if they're not high on health, but still...
Belloc

Postby Thark » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:54 am

I did end up asking someone to install and use that mod, and it was helpful. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... medes.aspx - This is the mod that they were using.

On most of the attempts we'd typically used around 3 gongs or so to get the boss to 50%, and most of our wipes were coming from someone mistiming the Searing Flames, so it was suggested that we be more liberal with them, which sounded fine. We had set one person exclusively on Gongs, with 2 others that we were calling out to be backups in case the first was dead. I did learn that if you use a gong before he begins to cast Searing Flames that it only delays the cast. It is possible to time it so that you don't get any ticks, but it also seems easy to end up using it too early and having him cast right afterwards.

I think a good takeway is that even with some extreme gong usage and some DPS being dead most of the time, we only barely ran out of gongs. It looks like they are quite generous, and as long as you pay some attention to using them, it shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: added mod.
Last edited by Thark on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thark

Postby sculder » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 pm

We use one per ground phase and one per air phase with the exception of one ground phase where we had to use a second because of too many people stacking (they all had extremely high sound). At the end we had 2 gongs left over, so i chained them together to burn the last 5%. If you're having issues with sound getting too high then you need to work on the raid awareness of those players - the discs are extremely easy to dodge, so the only issue should be tracking during air phases which we solved by having a warrior hit the gongs in those phases. He then used intervene, heroic leap, rocket belt, rocket jump, life grip, body and soul, etc to kite the second tracking beam around for 12+ seconds with no issues.
sculder

Postby Belloc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:20 pm

With the exception of the rocket belt (misfire = death), I have to fully agree with Sculder on using a warrior on gongs during the air phase. They have so many ways to get away from that beam that it is absurd.
Belloc

Postby Non » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:25 pm

We use Shamans to kite the 2nd beam, Ghostwolf!
**"It's no secret that any correspondence between what Non says and the truth is purely coincidental"
Non

Postby GalandrosTH » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 pm

On your Atramedes fights, who do you put in charge of hitting the gong? For the strats and vids I went through, it had ranged dps standing ready for a gong. However, an officer suggested that I tank and gong. It didn't seem optimal to me, in that I thought by having Atra in the center, would give the most room for the raid with sonics, etc. This is for 10 man btw. Thanks for any help and input.
GalandrosTH

Postby Brutalus » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Most guilds put ranged dps or healers on it.
Brutalus

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)