[10] Maloriak or "Why I hate my life"

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Maloriak or "Why I hate my life"

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:49 am

General strat:

*Update*

Maloriak, as it turns out, is a two tiered DPS race. Phase 1 has a minimum dps requirement that must be met, otherwise you risk hitting the enrage timer in P2. P2 has an absolute DPS requirement assuming the P1 requirement has been met - and it's pretty demanding. There's a catch though, too much DPS in P1 and you will wipe.

The tight dps requirement in P1 can be measured by how low Maloriak's HP is by the time you hit the 2nd green vial. Ideally, you will push Maloriak into the P2 burn just as the second set of adds is dying in the second green vial phase. So the first 4 vials can be pretty much a pure DPS burn. You'll want to save bloodlust/heroism for the P2 burn. By the 5th vial (or even the 4th if your DPS is really insane) if Maloriak's health is approaching 30%, slow down or stop entirely and focus any ranged AoE on the adds. They will take greatly reduced damage, but what else are you going to be doing while you wait for the 2nd green vial since you can't dps Maloriak at all? Once the green vial pops, cleave/aoe Maloriak and the adds and push the phase transition. It's imperative that you clean up any and all adds at this point because when Maloriak spawns the two prime subjects, you don't want any of the little adds buffing them with their stacking auras.

The consequences of pushing DPS too hard in P1 are pretty severe. Last night we kept hitting the enrage timer so we started to squeeze every last bit of DPS out in P1. Well, on one attempt we pushed him into the 2nd phase before the 2nd green vial ever was cast. The result was that we had 9 abberations applying their buff auras to the two prime subjects and I pretty much got 1 shot since the primes cannot be kited. Moral of the story is that you have to clean up all abberations prior to pushing the phase 2 transition. There is a short grace period while everything is covered in slime that you can have the primes and a few abberations up while P2 starts, but once the slime fades, the aura will once again apply and things will start hitting harder. Pushing the phase in this manner is also sub-optimal because you're going to want to squeeze every last ounce of focused DPS out in P2. Ideally you will clean up adds from the 2nd green vial and have about 1% left on maloriak before he transitions. All DPS can get back on him and ramp up to their max DPS output before he pushes. It may seem extreme to optimize to this extent, but in a raid geared with 348-350 average iLvl, we wiped at 2% or below more than 6 times last night. This fight is just really tightly tuned.

*end update*

MT tanks Maloriak by cauldron, OT kites adds over snares near the steps leading to the rest of the instance. Alternatively, OT can simply tank adds and pop CD's when 9 adds are up. We went with the kite strat.

The fight is interesting in that the raid has to be aware of several of Maloriak's abilities.

1) Blue Vial

When he tosses the blue vial into the pot, he will gain a sindragosa-esque frost tomb ability with a twist: when the tomb is both applied and popped, it does pretty significant damage to the target. So the raid must spread out, top off tombed people then pop the tomb as quickly as possible since this is a DPS race. The tomb chains to anyone 6yd or less away, so turn your range finders on. (6 yd = safe, 5 yd = bad)

2) Red Vial

Red vial grants Maloriak some flame-based abilities. He will debuff a single member of the raid with a dot called consuming flames, that person needs to run away from the raid unless it's the MT since the next ability buffs the dot's intensity. He will also do a cone attack called scorching blast that splits damage between the raid and increases the damage of consuming flames by 25%. This ability has a cast time, so savvy dps can stay behind the boss until he begins casting, then switch to the stacked raid to help share damage. If the tank has consuming flames and then gets scorching blast in his face, pop CD's and heal him/her through it.

3) Green Vial

He will toss the green vial into the pot and then proceed to be kicked away from the cauldron, spraying the entire room (himself, adds and raid) with slime, debuffing everything with a +100% damage buff. This debuff is the only thing that will allow your raid to effectively aoe the spawned abberations that the OT will be kiting/tanking. It should be used to burn them down as quickly as possible. If your raid cannot kill the atrocities before the debuff wears off, you may have trouble completing this fight before the enrage.

Maloriak's general abilities:

Arcane storm - channeled AoE damage - assign a dedicated interrupt for this ability to save your healers some mana. Ticks pretty hard, 1-2 ticks is fine, 3 or more will strain your healers.

Release Abberations - will be cast roughly 3-4 times every "cycle" of vials (he will always throw all three vials once before repeating any of them and the green vial will always be the 3rd/6th). There's a trick to these though: Maloriak can only summon a limited number of these little abberations per fight, the catch being that at the end of the fight, he will release all remaining abberations. So if you interrupt every cast, at the end of the fight he will release all the "not yet" released abberations, causing a wipe most likely.

The trick to pacing the abberations is knowing that he only releases a total of 18 over the course of the fight. The abberations themselves have an aura that buffs adjacent units with a +damage dealt, -damage taken buff. So the more of them there are, the harder they hit and the less damage they take. Your raid will want to interrupt one "release abberation" per 3 vial cycle, limiting the total number of abberations up during the green phase to 9. The green phase slime debuff will remove their buff, allowing them to be tanked safely by the OT while the raid blows them up.

Remedy - MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST be purged/spell stolen/dispelled as it regenerates a significant amount of health for Maloriak. This fight is a pretty tight enrage timer, so any additional time spent damaging due to regained health must be kept to a minimum.

At roughly 27-28% health he will switch into his pure burn phase and start using a new set of abilities.

First, he will release any unreleased abberations as well as 2 prime abberations. These two hit very hard and will fixate on someone, they are immune to taunt. I do not know if they will fixate on anyone besides whoever establishes a good chunk of initial threat on them. For me, the fixate buff was applied to me by both abberations after I had a good chunk of hate on both of them, the debuff was slated to expire sometime next week O_o. Should they get aggro on a non-off tank raid member, the will need to be kited if possible. They are immune to stuns/slows.

Flame jet/ Frost orb need to be avoided as best as possible. The orbs are easy to see and will not pop unless you get too close to them. I don't remember if the flame jet is avoidable, however the puddle of fire it leaves in its wake certainly is. Don't stand in the bad.

You will need to continue interrupting and purging/spells stealing his abilities right through the end of the fight.

On our best attempt last night we wiped at .5% due to enrage and a very ill-timed remedy. The crux of the fight for our group was kiting the adds and effectively burning them down. Once we got our shit together and actually killed the adds in a single goo phase, we were able to apply enough damage to the boss to not have him enrage so prematurely.
Last edited by Chunes on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chunes

Re: [10] Maloriak or "Why I hate my life"

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 am

Our Comp:

MT - DK
OT - Prot Paladin
Ranged - Hunter and Mage
Melee - Rogue, TG Warrior, Frost DK
Healers - Holy Paladin, Resto Druid, Resto Shaman

Maloriak was tanked roughly at cauldron, frost trap was applied so that one of its borders was roughly at the bottom of the stairs leading out of the room.

Red phase raid would stack between maloriak and the door/kite area, blue phase raid would spread out in a semi circle around him.

If the hunter failed to drop a trap when there were 9 adds up, I would get shit on. If remedy was not removed, or arcane storm not interrupted, we would either die or hit the enrage timer.

For some reason, abberations would aggro on the MT and then subsequently get glued to him, buffing the boss's damage and making him take less damage. Adds must be controlled as best as possible by the OT while the adds are still fresh. Glyph of Dazing shield works nicely. Adds spawn in the near corners of the room in one of two configurations. Either two adds spawn on one side and one on the other, or all three spawn on the same side. The triple spawn was very rare, I only saw it once i'm pretty sure. Assume the adds will be in the one and two configuration. Talented judgement the solo add and AS the other two adds, saving taunts for emergency use only.

When green phase starts, try and position the adds at Maloriak's feet as he will no longer benefit from their aura (it's temporarily suppressed by the slime) and he can share cleaves with them. MT/OT will need to pop cd's however due to the fact that they also will be taking 100% more damage as a result of the slime. Once green phase is over, reposition Maloriak by the cauldron and repeat process.

In phase two, OT needs to be very quick at getting the prime abberations under control. They should be tanked away from the boss and DPS should ignore them. There is absolutely no benefit in killing them, focus on the boss.

Purge/Spellsteal/Dispell stopcasting macros should be used to ensure timely removal of remedy. Spellsteal is the most ideal removal since the added mp5 from the remedy buff can sustain an arcane mage's high throughput cycle a little longer than not having it would.

Assign a dedicated interrupt for arcane storm (or have two dps fight for it) and a separate dedicated interrupt for release abberations. Other than those two, make sure you don't have any itchy trigger fingers interrupting everything that casts because too many interrupted abberation casts will wipe you in p2.

If the kiteTank is getting shat upon, or if the tank gets tombed, have any class that can immobilize the adds do so. This includes frost DK's hungering cold, water elemental's ranged ice nova, mage's ice nova, mage's circle of frost, etc. I'm not sure if I was taking damage when tombed or if I was immune, however there were cases when I was tombed and new adds spawned. Collecting them off the various raid members with aggro was not a trivial affair with 6 other abberations in tow.

That's pretty much all I can think of right now in terms of lessons learned last night for us. We wiped probably about 6 times before we had our final .5% wipe. We will be facefucking this ugly dragonthingy on tuesday.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:39 am

This is another fight where you really want a demonology warlock. Felstorm + Hellfire + Immolation aura = I just soloed the adds.

Also, Maloriak will often interrupt his first Release Abberations cast by tossing in his first vial, but this is not a guarantee. We only had one attempt where he didn't interrupt it.

Finally, there's no real need to ever interrupt the Release Abberations cast unless, I don't know, you don't have the dps to finish them off? We've never purposely interrupted it, I know that much.
Belloc

Postby Kerriodos » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:53 am

I've not done this on 10 man, however for 25 man we only let two sets of abberations out per cycle. The most I ever tank is 6 of them. During the burn phase. I simply pick up the last six and kite while DPS finishes the boss off--all you really need is a hunter or two dropping frost traps. It's also excellent practice for Nefarian... where I'm also stuck kiting in the last phase. :P
Kerriodos

Postby Sober » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:48 pm

You almost need at least a hunter for this fight really. As a paladin, I think it's the easiest thing to do, just to kite the adds (and the variety of ranged pickups available).

If you have a snare like frost nova/freeze, drop a consecrate or something on top of them. Use HotR for threat, also keep moving and use WoG for threat, since after 6 adds come out, you will constantly have to fight for threat on the adds against your healers. Inquisition might help too, if you want the threat boost. When you only have 3 adds out, you can easily just tank them - generate as much threat as possible on them/do DPS to them so they easily get cleaved down.

If you end up having to handle more than 9 abberations (and 9 is bad enough) ask for external CDs/use your own. You're also likely to lose threat with the latter sets of adds during green vial because they came late, taunt them back so they get caught in the AOE.

if you only have the last two big drakanoid adds at the end, there's no real point in kiting because Maloriak is also going to be moved around. All you can do is keep yourself alive as they keep applying a stacking bleed on you and try to fixate on other people.
Sober

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:37 pm

We let 3 sets of adds out per green phase, leaving just the two primes up in the burn phase. when I have a threat lead on the adds our mage puts down a ring of frost which stuns them all for ten seconds. Hold off dps at 30% so that we don't skip the second green phase and let dots tick him down to about 26% (phase is at 25).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby amh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:37 pm

We were having some issues interrupting the Release Abberation casts, until we started using Curse of Tongues. That seemed to work fine. I didn't verify the cast times, but the boss was not immune to the debuff itself. Swapped back to Elements in p2, obviously.

The Prime adds fixate on a nearby target, by the looks of it. Once we got enough distance from add-tank to the raid, they never swapped target.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:50 pm

amh wrote:We were having some issues interrupting the Release Abberation casts, until we started using Curse of Tongues. That seemed to work fine. I didn't verify the cast times, but the boss was not immune to the debuff itself. Swapped back to Elements in p2, obviously.
Curse of Tongues definitely slows his casts, including the rate at which his Arcane Storm ticks. One thing of note is that from what we've noticed, having Curse of Tongues up right on the start means Maloriak will interrupt his own first Aberrations cast because partway through it he'll realize "Oh right, I need to throw a bottle into the cauldron now".

Curse of Tongues will also make Maloriak's yells, as they appear in the chat window, in Demonic. I don't think many boss mods still rely on yells from the boss, but that's something to keep in mind as well when using it.
Chicken

Postby VikrumthePally » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 am

Just looking for confirmation. Does he do 3,4, or 5 casts per green vial? Thanks!
VikrumthePally

Postby Senador » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 am

The Flame Jets in the last phase are 100% avoidable, and it took me a bit to figure it out. He doesn't actually cast it, but he has an animation where he leans back and stops meleeing for a second or two. Once you recognize it, you can avoid every one and substantially reduce tank damage in the last phase. If you possition him right, you can then just rotate around him as he continually flame jets the walls and never have to move him in the last phase except to avoid an ice orb.

Also, he can do 4 or 5 casts per phase 'cycle' of Blue/Red/Green vials. He occasionally interrupts the first cast on his own by throwing the vial, but its random if it is 4 or 5, so you'll just have to watch for it. He'll also continue to cast it even if there are no adds left to summon, so these can just be ignored.
Senador

Postby lythac » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 am

Are the Frost orbs castable on the tank or are we exempt from it? I had 3 or 4 attempts in a row where I was flung up into the air, which coincided with a flame jet. My camera angle wasn't the greatest at the time. Bad RNG, melee triggering them or something else?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Senador » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:56 am

I'm pretty sure that the "Launch in the air" bit is a part of the Flame Jets. I don't think I've been hit by an ice orb in melee, though that might just be random luck. But once I started avoiding all of the Flame Jets I stopped being launched in the air.
Senador

Postby Chicken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:57 am

The ice orbs also just knock you away in a direction and don't really send you flying particularly high, if you flew straight up in the air it's definitely from the flame jets.
Chicken

Postby lythac » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Oh Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Arianne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Ice orbs do definitely get cast in melee and I think one time I did have one cast on me as well. You can mostly avoid flame jets if you strafe really fast when he puts his arm up in the air, but since he flings his arms around a lot, it's sometimes hard to tell if he's having a seizure or casting flame jets.
Arianne

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)