Vortex pinnacle Heroic

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Vortex pinnacle Heroic

Postby claisa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 am

Have written a very short guide on this as a new tank in our guild about to start heroics, i suggest this is the easiest heoric to go to for confidence boosting

Vortex pinnacle –

1st boss all stand on top of boss so you are out of range from the adds around edge of room. If you are all facing in a different direction as well the adds stay hidden as well. When whirlwinds move in ignore them and stay on top seems easy to heal through. The increase in dps, etc from this means healer mana pool will last. Use our AoE heal and party wall on alternating convergences of whirlwinds.

2nd boss is the hardest and seems to be an endurance test as a large health pool.

Tank damage isn’t bad which is a common theme with most encounters in cata if being done right. Priorities for this encounter avoid whirlwinds and tank boss in middle of the room. This allows for some margin of error in case someone hits a whirlwind and they have a chance of not being thrown straight out of the room and dying instantly from being to far from the encounter. You can gain a haste buff or debuff from the movement of the winds all players move to benefit from said buffs. If the tank is facing the dragon away from the rest of the party then it is possible for DPS to catch up with the tank on threat so be careful of pulling agro.

The dragon will also randomly target people for a breath attack this is a cone, and will hit anyone in it. So the dps/healer/tank shouldn’t be on top of each other at any point otherwise the damage created will drain to much mana from the healer.

3rd boss

The final boss does a chain lightning that seems to have a very large range in heroic and hit everyone, he also roots people so may need a skill to break a roots. He will start casting a lightning prism on the floor move to it and wait for boss to come to you he appear above the prism in melee range, and does a huge aoe that insta gibbs anyone in the prism. At the end of his cast spread out and see if you can outrange the chain lightning he does but I haven’t managed it yet. Rinse repeat, kill
claisa

Re: Vortex pinnacle Heroic

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 am

Staying on top of the first boss is a DPS decrease. The portals apply a debuff that slows your attack and casting speed. A simple movement will prevent this from being an issue, so there is no reason to stack -- healer efficiency or not.

2nd boss: Spread out. Find a spot where you are upwind and don't be near other people. The boss uses a randomly targeted breath attack and healers might start having mana issues if too many people get hit.

Final boss: Spread out for chain lightning and jump while the boss is casting Static Cling (jumping prevents it from rooting you and allows you to get the achievement).
Belloc

Postby claisa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:35 am

Cheers for the corrections will be less nub like in future.

Actually that is unlikely, will keep posting my observations and then the corrections will make me a better tank :)
claisa

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 am

That's how we all get there :D
Belloc

Postby econ21 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:37 am

Belloc wrote:Staying on top of the first boss is a DPS decrease. The portals apply a debuff that slows your attack and casting speed. A simple movement will prevent this from being an issue, so there is no reason to stack -- healer efficiency or not.

Just to check - are you saying the optimal strategy is to move out when the cyclones move in? (All the party - tank included?)

We stayed in and healed through fine, but I want to do it right.
econ21

Postby claisa » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:53 am

Ran it again last night and the healer who isn't the most confident now with their mana asked us if we can all stand on top of the first boss. If you are standing on top of the boss you don't get the slowing debuff from clipping or moving through the hurricanes and we can use our holy radience on the first one, then party wall the second, then holy radience the 3rd.

Yay in the field experiementing. I am very surprised if this is intended as it trivulises a basic boss anyway but with our healer not able to hold onto mana at all. It allows for some easy justice points.

If it helps we are also trying to get her to cast her cheap spells and nothing else except in emergencies but she just can;t let go of her her old rotation it seems. Sad times.
claisa

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:57 am

econ21 wrote:
Belloc wrote:Staying on top of the first boss is a DPS decrease. The portals apply a debuff that slows your attack and casting speed. A simple movement will prevent this from being an issue, so there is no reason to stack -- healer efficiency or not.

Just to check - are you saying the optimal strategy is to move out when the cyclones move in? (All the party - tank included?)

We stayed in and healed through fine, but I want to do it right.

After reading the above post, I guess it depends. If you can stand right in the very center and not get slowed by tornadoes, then it's fine. If you are getting the casting/attack speed debuff, however, you need to move out. Less DPS = more healer mana required.

I don't think it's intended to be able to stack up without getting slowed, but it may very well be currently possible.
Belloc

Postby Zeruvar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Imho the easiest heroic ive tanked so far is lost city, this one goes low on the list because of the 2nd boss. Speaking of which heres how we did the bosses in vp.

1st boss
The previous suggestions of standing in the middle stacked works pretty well in practice. Ive never noticed any real disadvantages while doing this strat. Maybe cycling my holy radiance and group bubble makes this easier for us pally tanks.

2nd boss
He should be the last boss haha. The sheer randomness of all the whirlwinds combined with the one shot if u get thrown out is hard to recover from if someone makes a mistake. So many times one person dies early from being trown out ( or even inside the area, but die from fall damage after getting thrown from one cyclone to another) leaves me, healer and whichever dps is still alive to try and kill the boss but fail so close (5-10%) left because healer is oom and all our cds are used.

What usually works is i tank her near one of he pillars close to where u start the pull. The healer gets to he middle where theres less cyclones moving to(from what weve seen) and the dps concentrate on dodging. Getting in position for the buffs/debuffs help but weve seen its more an endurance fight to just stay alive and dont strain he healers mana pool from healing excessive fall damage.

3rd boss
One skill, hand of freedom. Abuse it. Otherwise same as normal mode
Zeruvar

Postby Belloc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:36 pm

Jumping during the cast > hand of freedom.
Belloc

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:51 am

What's the best way people have found to do the sphinx pulls? (The ones inside the grounding pyramids.) So far I've only run it on regular (as dps), and those two pulls seem to give our groups the biggest problems.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:27 am

Skye1013 wrote:What's the best way people have found to do the sphinx pulls? (The ones inside the grounding pyramids.)

I do corner pulls. The first one, you can hide back down the spiral path leading up to them. The second, you can hide on one side of the staircase leading down to them. The grounding pyramids break CC, but your CCers can wait for them to run out of the pyramids towards the corner and then polymorph/repent/trap etc. I tend to CC one adept, skull the second (if they exist).
econ21

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:33 am

Skye1013 wrote:What's the best way people have found to do the sphinx pulls? (The ones inside the grounding pyramids.) So far I've only run it on regular (as dps), and those two pulls seem to give our groups the biggest problems.

I usually have my pet pull and then run back.
Belloc

Postby theothersteve7 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 am

I really hate the second boss. It's easy to just barely clip a tornado, then get chained to three more and get thrown out of range of the healer in the process. Quite frustrating.

Tell your DPS to interrupt casters in the triangles to get them to run to you.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby PsiVen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:13 am

For the first pull that paths slowly into a grounding pyramid, have everyone follow you onto the ledge to the left and engage them at the furthest patrol; you'll never have to deal with the pyramid.

For each of the two pulls down the ramp later, just judge one and LoS pull all the way back up.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Guess we've just had some retarded tanks or retarded dps then. Because I think I've had 1 tank try to LoS the one down the stairs. We wiped shortly after, but I think that's because he wasn't great at holding aggro.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons