Remove Advertisements

Worst Heroic bosses? Cata edition.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Worst Heroic bosses? Cata edition.

Postby Chasey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:08 pm

So far I've run into two bosses that make me want to pull my hair out.

Ozruk in The Stonecore. He is honestly the most annoying boss I've ever dealt with. Its not even, "lets kite him" its just make sure you have threat and stay out of his things that will one shot you. I watched the video and read the strat, seemed like depending on a few things I was at zero health every time he did the paralyze. I would like to get more that 6 attempts at him but at this point I'm not having fun with this fight. http://www.wowhead.com/npc=42188

Commander Springvale in SFK. Yes the heroic version...lol We ended up skipping him. I would start in one corner get good threat on him, DPS burnt adds and the D&D was down I'd move then fire breath. While you do that dance, adds spawn and get on the heals. Group make up had something to do with this but overall this fight is a pain! http://www.wowhead.com/npc=4278#comments
I'm not a new tank, nor am I pro. Both of these fight to me seem to be almost raid like in the mechanics and prove a big challange.

What are the harder ones you've come across? Tips or tricks you've used?
Chasey

Re: Worst Heroic bosses? Cata edition.

Postby inthedrops » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:26 pm

I find the third SFK boss to be the only annoying one. And only because of the combination of his abilities which cause his conal breath to be a pain to control.

It's 10x easier if:
1. Your healer lets you stand in desecrate.
2. Your DPS is good.

As soon as you are asked to move out of desecrate, you start running into issues with all that crap on the ground that makes his take weird pathing and faces some crazy stupid direction to breath. Also, no one ever pays attention to where you're putting him so even if you do manage to get him facing "mostly" the right way, there's still going to be two or three people more or less in front of him taking the hit.

The adds aren't that annoying to me to pick up. It's doing all that while preventing raid damage that sucks. It's very annoying. If his cone breath was less wide it would help a lot.

If Desecrate didn't slow your movement that would also make the fight 10x easier.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Currently I'm saying Corborus because I wiped to him for 90 minutes and gave up. There are several simple fixes that don't nerf damage in that fight that would make a huge difference.
Shoju

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:27 pm

I've soloed Orzuk when my entire party died at 75% when we first started doing heroics, so it doesn't require a high level of gear. We also didn't realize that people could GY zerg at the time ...

There are two mechanics:

1) run behind him during Ground Slam.
2) start strafing when he cats Paralyze.

Here are the TJH rules I wrote when we wiped a bunch of times figuring it out:

"SPELL_CAST_START;;;Paralyze;;YELL;RUN RUN RUN LIKE FUCKING HELL", -- [27]
"SPELL_CAST_START;;;Ground Slam;;YELL;", -- [28]

I've not seen any strat videos so I don't know what the prevailing wisdom is. The damage intake is low enough such that you can keep yourself up with seal/WoG (assuming WoG build). If your healer isn't keeping you topped off, then either the healer is horrible, or distracted by horrible dps.

For SFK:
On the pull, fear one add. The other 4 people stay in the room and murder those two adds. Then they go out the right door and jump down into the courtyard (you might want to pre-kill the patrol out there).

Meanwhile, you have pulled the boss all the way down into the courtyard running out the left door and through the kitchen.

Your party (and healer) should be in the courtyard by the time you arrive with the boss.

Then you kill the boss. With no adds. And a free achievement.

It is ridiculously easier. You'll have to kill most of the adds in the courtyard if you have a mage that can't resist using Mirror Image. The first time we tried this the images pulled an extra mob or two, and we still had no problems.

I honestly can't think of a fight I really dislike. Some are more tedious than others, but there's nothing particularly headbangingly annoying.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Knievel » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:46 pm

What about Cookie? No threat table. All that junk on the ground preventing melee from participating.

Threat gear? Ret spec for the fight?
Knievel

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Knievel wrote:What about Cookie? No threat table. All that junk on the ground preventing melee from participating.

Threat gear? Ret spec for the fight?

Tank eats bad food, good food, bad food. Or bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bubble bad bad bad bad bad bad bad (etc).

Trivializes the fight. Even more so, that is.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Heroic Siamat... achievement version. Oh god, it's so terrible.
Belloc

Postby Thornir » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Edit: wrong boss : /

Trouble bosses for me (on heroic) seem to be:

Admiral Ripsnarl in DM
Re-colored Vezax in GB
Lady in TotT (meh)
Karsh in BRC
Ozruk in Stonecore
VP is fine
HoO is fine
Springvale in SFK, and Godfrey if you've got next to none interrupts.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 am

No static?

You can either suicide and cheese it, or have a priest spam levitate. A "helpful" priest levi'ed me for the first static, which confused me deeply but I still got the ach jumping the rest of the way.

HoF does not work, btw.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:47 am

fuzzygeek wrote:No static?

You can either suicide and cheese it, or have a priest spam levitate. A "helpful" priest levi'ed me for the first static, which confused me deeply but I still got the ach jumping the rest of the way.

HoF does not work, btw.

If you were replying to me, I was referring to the Headed South achievement.
Belloc

Postby PsiVen » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:11 am

Ozruk pissed me off the first time I went there, but then I realized that he always casts Shatter after Paralyze and you can start running out early. Made it much much easier.

The only boss that really grinds my gears is the first guy in SFK, in a group with either no reliable interrupts or no DPS with a clue. Every single PuG on this boss interrupts Stay of Execution immediately and kills 3 people on the first pull. 60% of groups do it the second pull too, and 80% fail at interrupting his big heal at least once. An abomination of a boss designed to spit on paladins' inability to properly interrupt.

inthedrops wrote:I find the third SFK boss to be the only annoying one. And only because of the combination of his abilities which cause his conal breath to be a pain to control.

It's 10x easier if:
1. Your healer lets you stand in desecrate.
2. Your DPS is good.

As soon as you are asked to move out of desecrate, you start running into issues with all that crap on the ground that makes his take weird pathing and faces some crazy stupid direction to breath. Also, no one ever pays attention to where you're putting him so even if you do manage to get him facing "mostly" the right way, there's still going to be two or three people more or less in front of him taking the hit.

The adds aren't that annoying to me to pick up. It's doing all that while preventing raid damage that sucks. It's very annoying. If his cone breath was less wide it would help a lot.

If Desecrate didn't slow your movement that would also make the fight 10x easier.

Yeah, I have to agree that Desecrate snare is the main problem with that fight. The rest of it not so much though, because:

- His conal breath is randomly targeted, not forward facing on the tank; in fact I suspect it might target the most targets possible
- Even if you want to stress the healer by standing in desecration, you can't do this in a group with any melee

I mean, you can stand in the AoEs if you're doing the ignore-adds-and-zerg-boss strat, but the main issues I have with Springvale are the lack of ability to control his breath (which would require everyone stacking on the boss) and desecrate (which require nobody on the boss because it'll snare you as you move out of it). So even if you play perfectly, you'll get reamed by AoE and die if your DPS aren't up to snuff.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:20 am

Belloc wrote:If you were replying to me, I was referring to the Headed South achievement.

Oh, had that confused with the other guy.

Yeah, it's frustrating and one of the last ones that I need.

Headed South is miserable if you try to do 5 people at once. Easier if you do a few people at a time. We tried the two healer dps-through-shields to 50k while tanking servants and wiped at <5k hp due to overwhelming cloud damage. I think we'll probably just get the achievement for 2-3 people at a time, which seems pretty trivial as long as you coordinate DPS on vent.

I'm 4 achs away from finishing glory, and I've gotten every achievement when randoming into a dungeon with whoever in guild needs their daily. I would argue that only a couple require a very specific comp right now; the rest just need decent performance.

The first boss in SFK is impossible without interrupts, but paladins make this fight considerably easier. You can bubble the first asphyx. You can LoH the second. In the event there's a third you can pop CDs, WoG, DP, WoG. There's no need to allow a single tick of Stay of Execution; your healer needs to not try to keep everyone topped off (and run themselves oom), and dpsers need to fing interrupt the Mend.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:29 am

First boss in SFK always felt easy to me. Just use the interrupts you have wisely and make sure everyone knows what they're responsible for. I always save 3 holy power for a self WoG and sometimes use a cooldown after asphyxiation. He hits like such a panzy and takes forever to kill you, even when low in health.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Amshel » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Kite Commander Springvale into the courtyard and you won't get adds. Easy fight.

While I don't find it challenging Erudax has cost me the most in repairs so far. On the other hand, the normal version is idiot proof. So silly.
Amshel

Postby Nothan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:04 pm

1. Ozruk - people can not run away from him during Shatter for the life of them, reflect a dot or dispel Paralyze, not eat a Ground Slam.
2. Corborus - people getting killed by the boss when he submerges/re-emerges.
3. Ripsnarl - people don't dps the vapors

The worst part is when I queue for DM or Stonecore specifically, we get through half the instance and the whole group disbands thereby locking me out of the instance from which I need drops from the end boss.
Nothan

Next

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons