Remove Advertisements

[25 man] Wyrmbreaker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25 man] Wyrmbreaker

Postby sculder » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Stemming from the 10 man thread, our strat for 25 man Wyrmbreaker, resulting in a fairly easy kill:

We had Nether and Storm for our adds. I tanked the boss with an elemental shaman on him 100% for interrupts throughout the fight. Everyone else dps'd the storm add which was tanked by our warrior tank directly on top of the boss. Once that drake was at 5%, one of our ranged dps popped the welps out of the cage which were picked up by the warrior tank (and to a lesser extent, me), and again tanked right on the boss. Dps AE'd the welps down and when they died another ranged dps activated the Nether add.

At this point, our initial strat of burning the drake then switching to the adds was met with sub 10% enrage wipes. We decided to sacrifice the extra debuff (which made tank _and_ raid damage much easier to heal) and just burn the boss. Once the second drake is activated, the boss gains his third stack of damage increasing debuff. That's one thing that took us a few attempts to realize, but is very important. Because of this we burned the boss to 50%, dealt with the triple stun/interrupt mechanic, then lusted and burned him dead with plenty of time left on enrage (~30 sec)

Another big tip is to make sure your melee spreads out as much as possible, it really helps to save on healer mana.
sculder

Re: [25 man] Wyrmbreaker

Postby inthedrops » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:17 pm

This is anecdotal but I felt like the Storm Drake hits a lot hard than the actual boss. Consider putting your best geared tank on that drake if they are dying and your main tank is not. I was the one dying and I swapped from Storm to Boss and I immediately noticed how much easier I was living.

TLDR: Don't assume the boss is the hardest hitting.

No logs so never confirmed this.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Here is the entirety of our strategy for Halfus Wyrmbreaker:

Release everything, round 'em all up, and AoE.

That's it. Easiest of the fights I've seen so far, by miles. It feels significantly undertuned by comparision.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 am

inthedrops wrote:This is anecdotal but I felt like the Storm Drake hits a lot hard than the actual boss. Consider putting your best geared tank on that drake if they are dying and your main tank is not. I was the one dying and I swapped from Storm to Boss and I immediately noticed how much easier I was living.

TLDR: Don't assume the boss is the hardest hitting.

No logs so never confirmed this.

That kind of depends on which point in the fight you're at. Once we had the strom drake and the welps dead the only heals I had coming in was lifeblooms and my own WOGs, and I was able to stay up just fine. The start is kind of hectic on the healers because of the flame breath damage, but still very manageable given that the second half of the fight is trivially easy.

We debated releasing both dragons at the same time, but since we didn't even end up killing one of them, we just opted not to :)
sculder

Postby Tandors » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:44 pm

What we did was we had me tank Storm and the whelps at the start on top of the boss. After AoEing down the whelps, the drake is at 60%. Once he gets to 10%, Nether is popped and just tanked until the boss is dead. For the stun chain, we just have a cooldown rotation to keep me alive. we got him down to sub 3% but hit the enrage.

My big question in how can you release them all at the same time. Each time we tried that, I was quickly slaughtered even with cooldowns (and I'm, in almost all 346 with 2 epics). What kind of dps are your raids doing on the boss alone?
Tandors

Postby sculder » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 am

Tandors wrote:What we did was we had me tank Storm and the whelps at the start on top of the boss. After AoEing down the whelps, the drake is at 60%. Once he gets to 10%, Nether is popped and just tanked until the boss is dead. For the stun chain, we just have a cooldown rotation to keep me alive. we got him down to sub 3% but hit the enrage.

My big question in how can you release them all at the same time. Each time we tried that, I was quickly slaughtered even with cooldowns (and I'm, in almost all 346 with 2 epics). What kind of dps are your raids doing on the boss alone?

Our kill logs using the strat I outlined above, to keep things easy on the healers. We were able to beat the enrage timer by almost a full minute. I think this week I'll tank a drake and the welps while they get AE'd down (our aoe is pretty damn good).
sculder

Postby Meloree » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:41 pm

So, I've been thinking about this - and I think the best way to do this fight is to release everything, round 'em up, and AoE. Anything else is overthinking it, and much harder to execute. Damage is extremely light, and there's basically no execution requirement for anyone. It's literally easier than Argolath that way.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Meloree wrote:So, I've been thinking about this - and I think the best way to do this fight is to release everything, round 'em up, and AoE. Anything else is overthinking it, and much harder to execute. Damage is extremely light, and there's basically no execution requirement for anyone. It's literally easier than Argolath that way.

You're right. The *only* problem is if you have to contend with the fireballs. They are very hard for melee to see when in a big giant pile. Otherwise, I completely agree.

BTW, just had a nasty combination of drakes (the two on the left + whelps). Pretty brutal how quick the stacks build on me. Switched to Druid tank on Halfus and it went much smoother. With the druid we were able to get things situated before stacks got high.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:01 pm

inthedrops wrote:
Meloree wrote:So, I've been thinking about this - and I think the best way to do this fight is to release everything, round 'em up, and AoE. Anything else is overthinking it, and much harder to execute. Damage is extremely light, and there's basically no execution requirement for anyone. It's literally easier than Argolath that way.

You're right. The *only* problem is if you have to contend with the fireballs. They are very hard for melee to see when in a big giant pile. Otherwise, I completely agree.

BTW, just had a nasty combination of drakes (the two on the left + whelps). Pretty brutal how quick the stacks build on me. Switched to Druid tank on Halfus and it went much smoother. With the druid we were able to get things situated before stacks got high.

I don't actually think either of those things are much of a problem. Taunt swaps aren't hard to arrange (although, I wasn't paying a lot of attention, we noticed the debuff stacked when I was at around 12 - good thing nothing hits hard there), and the fireball graphics stand out pretty well. I actually think left-side is a much easier combination.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:15 pm

I'll be honest, the speed at which the stacks built up caught me (and my healers) completely off guard and I died very quickly. We just went right to the druid at that point. I stack mastery considerably so my avoidance is not good.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby exiledknight » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:09 am

Had the same left side combo with whelps this week, we dealt with it by me letting my stacks run up to 20 bubbling and taunting him back, by the time I got back to 12 stacks the first drake was dying and our DK tanked the drake and halfus as we released the second one.

I want to try the grab everything and AOE strat but the other officers and healers freak out since we attempted that the first week of cata and I just literally fell over.
exiledknight

Postby Kerriodos » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Had Nether Scion, Slate Drake and Whelps this week. We used the same strategy we did for Scion, Storm, Whelps last week, which was: release 2, burn one (Storm/Slate), then burn Scion, and release Whelps at 40% on Scion and AoE them down. It was infinitely easier without the Shadow nova deal from the Storm Drake, all we had to do differently was tank swap, no big deal.

I am curious as to how hard you guys (Meloree) get hit when you release them all at once. We had a tank fall over tanking two drakes at once the first week, so I imagine you have Drake+Boss on one tank and Drake+Whelps on the other? Do you always get Whelps?
Kerriodos

Postby inthedrops » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:25 pm

We've always had whelps so far. And we've always run with three tanks so far. One tank per drake, one on the boss. And the tank not tanking the first drake to be DPS'd unlocks the whelps on the pull too (we don't wait for anything). The two drake tanks fight over agro on the whelps. This allows the tank on the first drake to keep his threat high and get it down quick. We don't ever target the whelps. They just sort of hang out and eventually die from incidental melee splash. We target each drake one at a time then switch to boss.

We've never tried less than 3 tanks because we've so far met the DPS check.

Depdnding on your drake combo, this generally means the fight is won or lost in the first 60 seconds.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:13 pm

inthedrops wrote:We've always had whelps so far. And we've always run with three tanks so far. One tank per drake, one on the boss. And the tank not tanking the first drake to be DPS'd unlocks the whelps on the pull too (we don't wait for anything). The two drake tanks fight over agro on the whelps. This allows the tank on the first drake to keep his threat high and get it down quick. We don't ever target the whelps. They just sort of hang out and eventually die from incidental melee splash. We target each drake one at a time then switch to boss.

We've never tried less than 3 tanks because we've so far met the DPS check.

Depdnding on your drake combo, this generally means the fight is won or lost in the first 60 seconds.

You always get welps :)

Also I agree with you, the healing is fairly intense for the first ~60 seconds, but beyond that the fight is basically over - boss takes +150% damage, hits like a level 10 mob, etc.
sculder

Postby Meloree » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Kerriodos wrote:I am curious as to how hard you guys (Meloree) get hit when you release them all at once. We had a tank fall over tanking two drakes at once the first week, so I imagine you have Drake+Boss on one tank and Drake+Whelps on the other? Do you always get Whelps?

Barely - Halfus isn't a real heavy hitter. It took a while to notice the mortal strike actually stacked, and that I was becoming hard to heal, I think we finally swapped at around 18 stacks - and I tanked a drake like that until the stacks wore off. We use 4 tanks, though, just for stability, we haven't found the fight to have a lot of dps pressure.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)