Remove Advertisements

Halls of Origination - heroic

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Halls of Origination - heroic

Postby econ21 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:07 am

Any tips on handling Setesh? We kept getting him to around 10% but just could not finish the job. Often I or the healer would die, being overwhelmed by adds. Most attempts dps focused on destroying portals while I tanked Sentinels - trying to kite them over frost patches as they soon started to be many. Should we destroy the portals as they spawn or just focus fire on the boss (and maybe the seekers)?

Also on Anhuur - the tactic we settled on during his hymn was to leave one person top side to interrupt once his invulnerability was down while the rest (tank and healer) jumped together to press the two switches. The snakes seemed non-trivial on heroic, hence the tank and healer jumping. Was that right?
econ21

Re: Halls of Origination - heroic

Postby Maelsstrom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 am

econ21 wrote:Any tips on handling Setesh? We kept getting him to around 10% but just could not finish the job. Often I or the healer would die, being overwhelmed by adds. Most attempts dps focused on destroying portals while I tanked Sentinels - trying to kite them over frost patches as they soon started to be many. Should we destroy the portals as they spawn or just focus fire on the boss (and maybe the seekers)?
It's a dps efficiency fight, like Jaraxxus. The less dps have to move around, the faster the portals get killed, the fewer adds come out, and the more time can be spent killing the boss. The tank can drag around adds but you have to be first to the portal and start attacking it and grab anything that comes out. If the healers are getting munched, you need to round up your mobs more and drop more AOE attacks at the right spots. One loose add on the healer and you compromise your whole AOE threat generation.

Also on Anhuur - the tactic we settled on during his hymn was to leave one person top side to interrupt once his invulnerability was down while the rest (tank and healer) jumped together to press the two switches. The snakes seemed non-trivial on heroic, hence the tank and healer jumping. Was that right?[/quote]Manage the snake aggro. Have someone on the bridge pull aggro on the snakes, then the tank taunts off them. The switches take 10sec to pull in heroic so you can't just forget about the snakes or use stuns to get by.
Maelsstrom - Paladin - Lightbringer
Fluffy Bunnies of Doom
Maelsstrom

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:08 pm

DPS should kill portals -> seekers (which won't spawn unless your dps is poor) -> boss. Ignore the fish and sents, which the tank should kite.

Use glyphed Holy Wrath intelligently to buy yourself some breathing room.

If seekers start to spawn, things will spiral downhill from there.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:21 pm

On Ashuur you can do one of two strats:

The entire party goes to each pillar to deactivate the switches. This is slow but safe.

You split your party and send two/three people down on each side. We do this depending on comp: one person aggros snakes and drags them up top to me. Like, a warlock can hellfire and teleport back up. Shaman can ghostwolf and port up. Druids can cat and sprint. Shadow priests have shadowwall. Hunters can trap. Stuff like that.

The second person turns off the beams while the snakes are distracted.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:21 pm

On Ashuur you can do one of two strats:

The entire party goes to each pillar to deactivate the switches. This is slow but safe.

Or:

You split your party and send two/three people down on each side. We do this depending on comp: one person aggros snakes and drags them up top to me. Like, a warlock can hellfire and teleport back up. Shaman can ghostwolf and port up. Druids can cat and sprint. Shadow priests have shadowwall. Hunters can trap. Stuff like that.

fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:14 am

One additional mechanic that's easy to miss on Setesh is the occasional crystals that spawn, getting close to one of those will cause you to take some damage, but also gives you a buff that makes all your spells/attacks do an additional 20k damage. It's perfect for combining with a quick spammable ability for a large damage boost.
Chicken

Postby Goodheart » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:19 am

Ack, I knew there had to be some damage boost somewhere ><
For all the other bosses we had good enough dps except for him.
Goodheart

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:39 am

fuzzygeek wrote:On Ashuur you can do one of two strats:

Or:

You can have your tank gather up all the snakes before pulling the boss and then just hold them for the entire fight. The snakes won't respawn unless they die, so just don't have any AOE going out.

Makes the fight and the achievement very easy.
Belloc

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:03 am

Belloc wrote:You can have your tank gather up all the snakes before pulling the boss and then just hold them for the entire fight. The snakes won't respawn unless they die, so just don't have any AOE going out.

This is hilarious
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby fudomyou » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Belloc wrote:You can have your tank gather up all the snakes before pulling the boss and then just hold them for the entire fight. The snakes won't respawn unless they die, so just don't have any AOE going out.

I am so doing this next time.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Goodheart » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:22 am

Tried it last night, and it was just too easy :)
You can pick up the snakes without agro'ing the boss.
For the second interrupt a couple of snakes died and respawned, but as the healer I just jumped down first and pulled them back up.
Ow and the timer is definitely 20 seconds instead of the 15 from the achievement text.
Goodheart

Postby econ21 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:50 am

What about those early trash packs of about 4 mobs? I was very roughly handled by them last night when my groupd only had one CC - any tips on how to handle them? Which ones have the highest damage abilities? IIRC, they include Shadowlancers and Runecasters. I know the big ones cannot be CCd. I read theckhd's tip to burn down the big one and ideally spell steal his buff, so I guess he's the nastiest.
econ21

Postby Goodheart » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:54 am

Actually I found that it's the Runecaster that annihilates tanks with his Runic Cleave.
The big guy will first channel some random falling fireballs that are avoidableso you can leave him alone while he does that (just pull back). Also the Shadowlancers Pact of Darkness is pretty nasty but interruptable.
Goodheart

Postby econ21 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks - following your wowhead links, it seems the runecaster is also the healer so I guess I will skull him, cc the shadowlancer and pull back from the big one as you suggest.
econ21

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons