Remove Advertisements

Magmaw - Leaping Parasites

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Magmaw - Leaping Parasites

Postby Strom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 pm

So we have tried Magmaw several times. We are having an issue with leaping parasites from the pillar of flame ability. Whatever we try (frost trap/shadow fury and burn them down or simply tanking them), we still see these parasites leap 15-20 yards and get in people. From the many vidoes I have seen this is not happening. Are we missing something here? With people getting infected the fight quickly gets out of hand.

Our logs from one night:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-lltrodfrlhysm9uo/sum/damageDone/
Strom

Re: Magmaw - Leaping Parasites

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 pm

If you are seeing parasites appearing that far away from the cluster, it's because they are infecting people and those people are vomiting them up. Essentially, someone is spawning a freshly healed parasite into your group.

Tip: Don't use shadowfury. Have your lock go demo for this fight. A Felguard's Felstorm is enough to cause the felguard to have aggro on all of the parasites (not to mention do more damage than any other AOE in your raid) and you can use this tactic on almost all waves of adds (it will be on cooldown for a few seconds if you get two waves before exposing the head). Have your warlock using hellfire (at a safe distance) to supplement this and you won't have anymore issues with parasites.

I was Destruction the first time we attempted (and failed miserably) at this fight. I came back as Demo and the adds were so incredibly much easier to control and kill. It will make a huge difference.

Edit: Make sure the felguard isn't positioned on the spawn point of the adds, or else he will get knocked up just like a player would... and that's a wasted felstorm.
Belloc

Postby Strom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for the lock tips Belloc. I will definitely pass them on.

One thing I wanted to mention though is that the leaping parasite is not a new one from an infected person, but one of the original parasites that spawns from the Pillar or Flame ability. It pops out of the pillar and then leaps like 15 yards in the air and infects someone. This has happened even when I have attempted to tank them. I am not sure what is causing this because I have not see this happen in any videos. Could it be this particular parasite spawned outside of any AoE and that is just what they do when left alone?
Strom

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:06 pm

In all honesty, they're not supposed to do that. They simple move towards whoever they have threat on and that's it. If you're absolutely sure that it's not someone getting infected (Possibly standing on the spawn point and getting knocked up?) it's almost certainly a bug. I have never witnessed that behavior =/

I hope it stops happening to you, because it sounds really crappy :(

edit: What classes are these parasites leaping to? If it's a warlock or a mage, I could suggest that these players might be standing close to the spawn point and teleporting/blinking away while a parasite has chosen them for infection.
Belloc

Postby Strom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:14 pm

I have seen it happed to our shaman healer for sure, but others have seen it happen as well to different classes.

I suppose it is possible that the person this is happening to had got thrown up in the air from the Pillar of Flame. I will ask.
Strom

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:23 pm

See if it keeps happening as you guys get better and better at avoiding the pillar. If it keeps happening, I suggest bug reporting it.
Belloc

Postby Jonlo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:48 am

We're having issues with parasites too, where our warlock pet (Who is literally right next to me the entire fight while I'm tanking) just starts vomiting up parasites randomly right next to me.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby heuvarius » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:09 am

Best advice I can give is to bring a boomkin or two. Typhoon makes the adds very easy.
Best looking Femtaur-din in the game.
heuvarius

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:24 am

Could you use a hunters gorilla/ turtle for threat on them and such? Like the thunerstomp ability that they have?
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:52 am

My guild initially had a similar "these parasites must be bugged" mentality when learning this fight. In my observation, the only parasites that "leap" around are the ones that have been spawned as a result of an infected raid member.

It turned out that most of the time people were simply not avoiding the parasites/eruption correctly. Set up a strategy to deal with infected people (have them run away from the raid and assign a dps to handle loose parasites) and your problems will start to disappear as you bring the fight more under control.
baleogthefierce

Postby sakkdaddy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:54 am

Just use a frost DK to have threat on everything, and have him run chillblains. Switch to blood presence when the parasites spawn, and HB + D&D will lock aggro onto him at range, autosnare everything, and do great damage. We tell our raid to stay 10+ yards away from parasites at all times because their leaping mechanic is unclear, but we have also seen it happen. Requiring that everyone except pets stays at range seems to have fixed the problem though.
sakkdaddy

Postby baleogthefierce » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:43 am

Lava Parasites will no longer cause the Magmaw encounter to reset if they Evade. In addition, their mounting range has been reduced to 5 yards and they can fail to mount when attacking players.

From the 20 Dec patch notes. Looks like the parasites will now do less leaping and more creeping.
baleogthefierce

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)