Remove Advertisements

TRON: Legacy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

TRON: Legacy

Postby Melathys » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Saw Tron. what they did with jeff daniels to make him younger, and CLU. I would expect more from a big budget film like this. The realism of the character isn't far removed from what Square did almost 10 years ago.

Which is fine, really, photorealism is photorealism, its the animation that's disappointing. You can tell that they used, probably, the same facial animation shortcuts that square did. ie, programed positions for phonemes during speech, and emotions (i can't find it, but anyone who's watched the making of Spirits Within will know what I'm talking about). I was expecting much more from Disney, in that they could tap the fantastic disney animators. You see more emotion in hand drawn characters than in CLU and young flynn. hell, watch tangled.

I mean hell, watch this...they could have done this and it would have been amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTOlEUAtGog

But aside from that, I much enjoyed the movie. :D
Melathys

Re: tron and cgi

Postby Nakama » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 pm

I, in fact, just made those same points to my friend here at work that went to see Tron: Legacy with me yesterday. I even said the same "This looks like it's almost the same technology as Final Fantasy."

I'd be very interested to see how the technology for facial rendering *could* be enhanced with the innovations from the last 7 years. :)

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Brekkie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Holy crap that movie was animated?

no kidding. had no idea.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Invisusira » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Brekkie wrote:Holy crap that movie was animated?

no kidding. had no idea.

This was my exact response to FF:Spirits Within.
Invisusira

Postby duruk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Melathys wrote:Saw Tron. what they did with jeff daniels to make him younger, and CLU. I would expect more from a big budget film like this. The realism of the character isn't far removed from what Square did almost 10 years ago.

I agree with all your points, but not your conclusion. CLU was a program, and however advanced, should be different. The jerky movements and the face just drove those points home for me. Quorra fit in just fine as well, I thought.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Melathys » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 pm

duruk wrote:
Melathys wrote:Saw Tron. what they did with jeff daniels to make him younger, and CLU. I would expect more from a big budget film like this. The realism of the character isn't far removed from what Square did almost 10 years ago.

I agree with all your points, but not your conclusion. CLU was a program, and however advanced, should be different. The jerky movements and the face just drove those points home for me. Quorra fit in just fine as well, I thought.

Thats what I was saying to my girlfriend, that for CLU it worked, but she mentioned the animation was no different for young Flynn, who would've had a full range of emotions.
Melathys

Postby Arnock » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Kinda made me think of beowulf, the character was fairly photorealistic, but the movements approached the uncanny valley, being fairly jerky

However, didn't really bother me as much as the pace of the movie, just felt so freaking slow.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Thornir » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Movie was kinda meh. Soundtrack was kinda awesome.

Also, did anyone notice the part where she's driving her car straight to the dad's place, but her hands were, like, all over the wheel and turning every which way?

My friends and I got a laugh outta that.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby culhag » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:12 am

Benjamin Button, where the faces were animated with motion capture, was really incredible.

Particularly, there's a whole section in the movie (when he looks something like 50 years old and he goes traveling around the world) where I didn't even suspect the face was CG until I saw a making-of.

(haven't seen Tron yet, it comes out in february here :( )
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Euphoria » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 am

Thornir wrote:Movie was kinda meh. Soundtrack was kinda awesome.

Also, did anyone notice the part where she's driving her car straight to the dad's place, but her hands were, like, all over the wheel and turning every which way?

My friends and I got a laugh outta that.

I did. I also lol'd. Watch any movie with people in a car though, they ALWAYS do that and it drives me nuts.
Euphoria

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:54 am

Melathys wrote:I was expecting much more from Disney, in that they could tap the fantastic disney animators.

They're hard at work on the next Pixar blockbuster.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Gladia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Nakama wrote:I, in fact, just made those same points to my friend here at work that went to see Tron: Legacy with me yesterday. I even said the same "This looks like it's almost the same technology as Final Fantasy."

I'd be very interested to see how the technology for facial rendering *could* be enhanced with the innovations from the last 7 years. :)

--Jed

Its interesting to actually watch the behind the scenes, they had a headset that mapped his facial features using red lights, and had him perform the same actions as CLU, which was rendered in.

Video Here 4:55 in shows some of them.

I agree it could of been slightly improved, but for the most part, it worked, since CLU was a "Program" almost similar to the MCP in the original, which in my mind, gives a little more leeway for animation and CG.
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Postby Kelaan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Interesting points about CLU being a program, and thus not twigging the uncanny valley. I can't wait. Also, holy shit LA Noir looks amazing. I'll probably never play it, which makes me mildly sad, but it still ... wow. Looks amazing.
Kelaan

Postby Masumi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:51 pm

thank you, you ruined the movie for me now that I know its CGI the surprise is gone >.>

lol
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Masumi

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Masumi wrote:thank you, you ruined the movie for me now that I know its CGI the surprise is gone >.>

lol

Wait.....What!?
Lightbeard

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum