Remove Advertisements

Reforging for 8% hit capped issues

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Reforging for 8% hit capped issues

Postby Gaxby » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 pm

961 Hit Ratings are needed, but I can't reforge my gear to get exactly 961. So what are my options? Is it better to be slightly above or below 8% Hit?

7.99% or 8.01%?

Everything below 8% is good for threat, but threat does not seem to be an issue right now due to Vengeance. Everything above 8% is essentially wasted, but has some very small benefit for more spell hit.
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Re: Reforging for 8% hit capped issues

Postby Epimer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:49 pm

I don't know where this notion of "I must be hit capped to tank!" came from. It was a plague in Wrath, too.

Yes, hit is a good threat stat. No, you don't need to be hit capped to produce sufficiently high threat. If anything you should be reforging that hit into mastery, certainly not the other way around.
Epimer

Postby theckhd » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Gaxby wrote:Everything below 8% is good for threat, but threat does not seem to be an issue right now due to Vengeance. Everything above 8% is essentially wasted, but has some very small benefit for more spell hit.

Touched by the Light gives you 8% spell hit, so you actually cap spell hit before you cap melee hit. Anything over 8% melee hit is 100% wasted.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Gaxby » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Epimer wrote:I don't know where this notion of "I must be hit capped to tank!" came from.

sculder wrote:My suggestion is to forget about the block cap at first and focus on maintaining hit cap and staying at least close to the soft expertise cap to avoid a major reduction in threat output. After that, stack mastery in favor of dodge/parry to achieve as much avoidance percentage as you can. This means reforging away your highest stat (dodge/parry) to mastery on every piece of gear that isn't already reforged

This is where: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=29787&rb_v=viewtopic
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Postby Epimer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 am

Ok, fair enough. I guess that was written towards the tail end of WotLK content, when very highly geared DPSers were pushing some tanks on threat.

In the current environment, by all accounts threat is a complete non-issue in raid content (similarly so in heroic 5 mans). It's bad advise to reforge survival stats into avoidance stats in current content.
Epimer

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Why I toy with the idea of capping hit. Avenger's Shield Jack-of-all-Trade design and missing when trying to move a caster into the pack. Annoys me beyond words.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby sculder » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Gaxby wrote:
Epimer wrote:I don't know where this notion of "I must be hit capped to tank!" came from.

sculder wrote:My suggestion is to forget about the block cap at first and focus on maintaining hit cap and staying at least close to the soft expertise cap to avoid a major reduction in threat output. After that, stack mastery in favor of dodge/parry to achieve as much avoidance percentage as you can. This means reforging away your highest stat (dodge/parry) to mastery on every piece of gear that isn't already reforged

This is where: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=29787&rb_v=viewtopic

I've updated the guide, taking out the cata speculations and replacing them with real data and my experiences. As of now you can try to reforge for hit if you want to, but it's not all that important. With low ilvl gear sets your hit will likely be extremely low, resulting in more than a few missed attacks/abilities. At the start of a fight a few missed shield slams could mean a melee dps dying, but in the long run your threat output should be substantial enough to cover any gaps created by missed shield slams.

The other main component of me not recommending reforging hit is a WOG-centric playstyle that I have used since 4.0.1 release. Apart from a few initial shield slams I usually always dump my HP into WOGs to help out the (relatively undergeared) healers during progression.

I'm at around 2% hit and I do miss an annoying amount of shield slams, but I have never had threat issues on a boss, especially if you toss tricks, misdirects, and AW into the equation. The amount of avoidance you'll gain from reforging to mastery instead of hit is substantial and definitely worth it. If you have serious threat issues without reforging to hit, I would double check your initial rotation to be accurate,
sculder

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Flex wrote:Why I toy with the idea of capping hit. Avenger's Shield Jack-of-all-Trade design and missing when trying to move a caster into the pack. Annoys me beyond words.

It's annoying but it's not the end of the world. I actually laugh a bit at how often it happens to me.

I have about 2% hit, I miss and parry constantly, I bork my rotation every minute or so, and I still hold thread just fine in 25 man raids.

Here's an example video with me tanking Atramedes in 25.

I'm wogging before we're even a minute into things.

My UI is setup such that missed hits are fully opaque and regular hits are semi transparent. Also my crits are larger text. It makes it very easy for me to notice that my threat will be good or not and call out a warning (I picked this habit up when tanking H-LK after the Vengeance mechanic and tricks changes were first introduced)

2% hit, gets the job done perfectly fine.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 pm

inthedrops wrote:
Flex wrote:I actually laugh a bit at how often it happens to me.

It's actually pretty damn funny when i go to pull, or even during a fight, and my AS flies off into no man's land. Someone always has to comment in vent something like 'nice miss...'
sculder

Postby theckhd » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:43 pm

inthedrops wrote:2% hit, gets the job done perfectly fine.

Yup.

I use a similar system, though I use MSBT to make a noise and pop up a warning when SotR misses (the xylophone sound, iirc).

I also have it play the cash register sound when I reach 3 Holy Power. I now have to suppress the urge to smash cashiers in the face with my arm when visiting department stores.

"Cha-Ching"
*Smack* "OW"
"Shit, sorry. Please don't call the cops."
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Someone in raid: "Nice miss Paper. lol"
Me: "Did you see where it landed? I need it back"
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:57 pm

theckhd wrote:"Cha-Ching"
*Smack* "OW"
"Shit, sorry. Please don't call the cops."

Don't forget to scream "SHIELD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS!!!!!!" right before you smack them, otherwise no one will understand what's going on...
sculder

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 pm

inthedrops wrote:
Flex wrote:Why I toy with the idea of capping hit. Avenger's Shield Jack-of-all-Trade design and missing when trying to move a caster into the pack. Annoys me beyond words.

It's annoying but it's not the end of the world. I actually laugh a bit at how often it happens to me.

Yea, the only nod towards hit capping I do is not reforging away from hit rating.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Return to Basic Training & Talents